I've seen many people posting request after request for Google Services on their BlackBerry phones. I don't really know what they really want or which Google Services they want. To me I think the only Google services available that are useful are;

- g mail
    - google maps
    - google translate
    - google location service or they predict what you want to do next.

I think that the first 3 are all that is important other than that I don't see what is so useful about Google services. I only see a breach of privacy & it is really dangerous. In any case I believe there are so many services that can replace the first 3 services above.

As for the rest, I think it is best not to be used. I was traveling with a buddy recently & our car broke down so we sent it to a workshop & we took the ferry to our island destination. In any case we could not drive our car over anyway.

When we came back to the mainland, my buddy's Android phone said 15 minutes to the workshop. When we collected our car, it just automatically said 5 hours home.

How in the world does Google know that we had to collect our car? Then upon collecting our car how in the world does Google know that we need to go home?

Is Google tracking our every movement?

Is Google controlling our lives? Is Google manipulating our lives?

I don't feel safe anymore...

Posted via CB10
    08-10-14 01:23 PM
    Do you have your sensitive information stored on a USB drive buried in your backyard?
    08-10-14 01:26 PM
    Google Now can provide you with estimated travel times only if you allow Location tracking. In other words, it's something that the user has control over, it's not a privacy breach. Some people find it convenient, others don't like having their location reported. Only you can decide whether or not it's useful enough to provide your location.
    08-10-14 01:32 PM
    Google Now!
    Nicholas Kathrein likes this.
    08-10-14 01:36 PM
    Google Now can provide you with estimated travel times only if you allow Location tracking. In other words, it's something that the user has control over, it's not a privacy breach. Some people find it convenient, others don't like having their location reported. Only you can decide whether or not it's useful enough to provide your location.
    I think you have missed the point.

I want to know how long it takes to get from 1 destination to another when I ask for it. In this case I didn't ask for it. It just prompt my friend saying 15 minutes to workshop.

Once we collected the car, he was prompted 5 hours to reach home. How does Google know this?

How does Google know what we want to do next?

Posted via CB10
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    08-10-14 01:42 PM
    Well in any case even BlackBerry maps can tell me how long I have to drive to reach any destination once I set my destination. I think that is pretty standard with all maps or GPS services right?

Well just that Google has millions of contributors therefore it's a little more accurate that's all.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-14 01:44 PM
    I only use gmail as a dummy account - along with a couple old hotmail accounts. You would have to be insane to use gmail as an everyday email service.
    campbecw, lift, sk8er_tor and 1 others like this.
    08-10-14 01:45 PM
    Google actively scans and stores the emails you Send and receive and sells that content to advertisers. There is no privacy in Google services. It's built on an open philosophy. That's the whole point.

Short Stories and Similar Submissions, a Channel dedicated to creative writing and constructive critique C003CC54C. Daily Old Radio Shows! The only Channel that actually offers you a source for entertainment. C0012487D
    lift likes this.
    08-10-14 01:46 PM

I want to know how long it takes to get from 1 destination to another when I ask for it. In this case I didn't ask for it. It just prompt my friend saying 15 minutes to workshop.

Once we collected the car, he was prompted 5 hours to reach home. How does Google know this?

Posted via CB10
    Google Now is more than just a map. Parts of it are predictive based upon what you allow it to know about you...it presents information to you rather than you having to go fetch it. Some may find this convenient, others a little freaky. If I set my home location, it'll automatically show me how far I am from home, wherever I am during the day. If I enter an appointment into my calendar, it'll show me the quickest route to the destination, and also tell me when I have to leave my current location in order to make it on time. If I have a restaurant I'm frequently at, it'll figure that out and show me how far and how long it'll take me to get there.
    08-10-14 01:55 PM
    Google actively scans and stores the emails you Send and receive and sells that content to advertisers. There is no privacy in Google services. It's built on an open philosophy. That's the whole point.

Short Stories and Similar Submissions, a Channel dedicated to creative writing and constructive critique C003CC54C. Daily Old Radio Shows! The only Channel that actually offers you a source for entertainment. C0012487D
    Again with the FUD.
    They don't sell your info to advertisers. I explained this a while back:

This is how it goes:
    1. Google has your data.
    2. Google has data submitted by advertisers.
    3. They use algorithms that match user data with advertiser data, so relevant ads are presented.

So no, Google does not sell your data to advertisers. Everything is done internally by computers. Is this so hard to understand?
    08-10-14 01:58 PM
    Google Now is more than just a map. Parts of it are predictive based upon what you allow it to know about you...it presents information to you rather than you having to go fetch it. Some may find this convenient, others a little freaky. If I set my home location, it'll automatically show me how far I am from home, wherever I am during the day. If I enter an appointment into my calendar, it'll show me the quickest route to the destination, and also tell me when I have to leave my current location in order to make it on time. If I have a restaurant I'm frequently at, it'll figure that out and show me how far and how long it'll take me to get there.
    People who understand how it works usually don't wet their pants. People who think that Google is using Blackmagic (such as OP) are the ones that usually freak out.
    08-10-14 02:07 PM
    The very fact that your stuff is out through their algorithms speaks to the fact that your data is stored and sorted somewhere. I know they don't have PEOPLE sorting through this stuff; of course it is all done by the computer. But the data has to exist stored and sorted somewhere, then making it accessible by people. And of course it is SOLD. They sell advertising space, and whether or not a, let's say, camping gear store gets advertising space is based on how much you email about camping gear and then they get more exposure. So, yes, the frequency of your emails about camping gear is being sold, however automatically, to companies who need exposure to that effect.

SaintThomasAquinas and lift like this.
    08-10-14 02:12 PM
    If you don't like Google now turn it off. Simple.

I was at a train station waiting for my girl, I get a notification of incoming bus and train schedules while I'm sitting in the parking lot. Didn't search for anything or open a browser. She emailed her flight info. I got notification on departure and arrivals round trip. How efficient/ productive is that?

I do not care that a server has location data on me. I like most just don't care.

If you care you should learn to be critical of what services you allow to run on your devices, what information you store/ transfer using public unencrypted networks.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    shaleem, tre10, mornhavon and 4 others like this.
    08-10-14 02:15 PM

Posted via CB10
    No, he did not miss the point. He is spot on. Anyway, don't use it if you feel uncomfortable with it.

Posted via CrackBerry App on my Samsung Note 3
    08-10-14 02:17 PM
    The very fact that your stuff is out through their algorithms speaks to the fact that your data is stored and sorted somewhere. I know they don't have PEOPLE sorting through this stuff; of course it is all done by the computer. But the data has to exist stored and sorted somewhere, then making it accessible by people. And of course it is SOLD. They sell advertising space, and whether or not a, let's say, camping gear store gets advertising space is based on how much you email about camping gear and then they get more exposure. So, yes, the frequency of your emails about camping gear is being sold, however automatically, to companies who need exposure to that effect.

Ofcourse the Google servers store and sort all your data. (where else?) If Google determines that you have plenty of emails about camping gear, an advertisement from a camping gear seller will appear. The seller will only get performance reports that do not include any personal data. Google is merely a matchmaker. All I'm saying is that Google doesn't sell your personal info to advertisers.
    mornhavon, JeepBB and john_v like this.
    08-10-14 02:23 PM
    Considering the plethora of surtitles out the citing Gmail as one of the most non-private email servers out there, especially after the introduction of Google+ and Google'- continual effort to integrate all their services more intensely, I find it surprising anyone would argue the fact that Google has become simultaneously one of the most useful, yet privacy-abhorrant services out there.

But, I get brand loyalty. Hell, I'm a BlackBerry man in the face of it all! So, sweet. But I've been hunting for secure email services, and right now, the winner is ProtonMail or the super personal stuff, and Outlook for the junk account/average importance stuff.

lift likes this.
    08-10-14 02:34 PM
    In BlackBerry OS 7 I used to be able to just click on my appointment & the calendar app would just fire up my BlackBerry maps & give me directions on how to get to the appointment. Unfortunately this feature is no longer available in BlackBerry 10. When it shows me the map it also shows the distance to my destination as well. Wish we could have this feature back in BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    Prem WatsApp likes this.
    08-10-14 02:34 PM
    Well yes, if you are uncomfortable with it don't use it or switch it off. Let's think about this out of the box a little.

One company in the world will collect all the information of say 80% (ball park figure of all the people in the world using a Google account) the population of the world & is able to predict what they are doing next. Will it come to a time where it will tell us what to do next?

We all know that information is power, how comfortable are you that 1 company in the whole wide world has access to all this information?

Posted via CB10
    The Big Picture likes this.
    08-10-14 02:44 PM
    One company in the world will collect all the information of say 80% (ball park figure of all the people in the world using a Google account) the population of the world & is able to predict what they are doing next. Will it come to a time where it will tell us what to do next?
    Posted via CB10
    It already does tell you what to do next. Just open up Google maps and use voice navigation to drive to any location. I guarantee you that you will follow the instructions like a sheep.
    08-10-14 02:51 PM
    I'm ok with Google having data about me stored in a server somewhere. Just like I'm ok with the fact that my bank's servers have information about the things I buy and the places I eat, because I use a debit card. It's more convenient than cash so I use it. Google's services are amazingly convenient, so I use them. So google and my bank know that I flew to Denver last week and ate at a certain restaurant. So what. How does that in any way negatively affect my life?
    08-10-14 03:25 PM
    I've started using Gmail more to make Google Now work that much better for me. I think it's fantastic.

I'm perfectly happy for google to know where I'm flying to, where I am to predict driving times to places I regularly travel to, reservations, delivery times of packages, news items of sports/news/anything I regularly search for. It makes stuff in my life easier. It's a glimpse of the future
    Nicholas Kathrein likes this.
    08-10-14 03:30 PM
    I dont think that the most people want google services beccause of the google services. I think they just want them because a lot of android apps are not working or not fully working without it.
    For Example:

Runtastic Pro
    App works, but you cant see a map of the area that you are running in.

If all apps would work as aspected without google services, nobody would need these google services, but right now you them if you want to use specific apps
    BroncoVAL likes this.
    08-10-14 03:33 PM
    Tin foil hats should be provided on entry to this thread.
    Having used Google now I have found incredibly useful. And I have to say it only knows what I let it know. Turn off locations and it becomes a tad useless.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    08-10-14 04:08 PM
    Google followed me home last night.
    08-10-14 04:10 PM
    I am not a spy nor a VIP CEO or something like that but i am looking for alternatives to Google too.
    I remember Lavabit's declaration about emails: “If you knew what I know about email, you might not use it either.”
    Lavabit's Ladar Levison: 'If You Knew What I Know About Email, You Might Not Use It' - Forbes
    For search engine i replaced google with IXQuick https://ixquick.com/ that works very well and is "the world's most private search engine".
    Next i will have a deeper look on alternatives for gmail: the_simple_computer | Research for Security & Privacy
    08-10-14 04:18 PM
243 123 ...