As many I'm pretty excited and possibly nervous about the up and coming passport. The excitement needs no explaining but my nervousness comes from wondering how many apps will work in this form factor. I know the z30 and z10 already enjoy more apps because of the screen ratio. The other is the keyboard. Whole I've used touch screens and qwerty before this is new and different. Some great ideas in it for sure but I can't help but wonder how many users would find the transition easier and enjoy it even more so if the keyboard had the traditional layout. Yes it would make the device larger (or shrink the keys but who wants that).

Time will tell and I won't hesitate to give it a go. For those sitting on the fence would you like to have a full keyboard plus all the options we already know it will ship with?

Posted via CB10
    08-09-14 03:51 PM
    It's not intended to be a casual daily driver, it's a business device.
    08-09-14 04:33 PM
    My understanding is all apps that work for the Q10 will work for the Passport.

Also I recall seeing something how android apps would fit the screen better than they do with the Q10 (picture showed Instagram being used)

Posted via CB10
    KDB84 likes this.
    08-09-14 04:39 PM
    It's not intended to be a casual daily driver, it's a business device.
    What does that have to do with my question? Lol

Posted via CB10
    08-09-14 08:01 PM
    I would argue that the passport will be a business tool, but it should perform well in most multimedia aspects. I can really only see gaming suffer a bit.

To be honest if I do play a game it's usually candy crush or something of that nature. Which I'm sure will work fine.

I'm not a business man just yet but I'm planning on buying it, but I suppose I'm a fan boy haha.

Posted via CB10
    08-09-14 08:05 PM
    As many I'm pretty excited and possibly nervous about the up and coming passport. The excitement needs no explaining but my nervousness comes from wondering how many apps will work in this form factor. I know the z30 and z10 already enjoy more apps because of the screen ratio. The other is the keyboard. Whole I've used touch screens and qwerty before this is new and different. Some great ideas in it for sure but I can't help but wonder how many users would find the transition easier and enjoy it even more so if the keyboard had the traditional layout. Yes it would make the device larger (or shrink the keys but who wants that).

Time will tell and I won't hesitate to give it a go. For those sitting on the fence would you like to have a full keyboard plus all the options we already know it will ship with?

Posted via CB10
    If it were longer with Bold keyboard and narrower with a 4 inch screen it would indeed look better.
    08-09-14 08:20 PM
    What does that have to do with my question? Lol

Posted via CB10

Presumably the point is that professionals don't need apps for relaxation and entertainment therefore it is an invalid concern.

Presumably.
    KDB84 and mornhavon like this.
    08-10-14 06:52 AM
    Presumably the point is that professionals don't need apps for relaxation and entertainment therefore it is an invalid concern.

Presumably.
    I go to sleep in a suit for example....:-P

Posted via CB10
    08-10-14 07:04 AM

Presumably.
    Hm I have a non professional friend who uses a Q10 as his casual daily driver, never heard him complain about apps since he only uses a few and is mainly into the browser and messaging/phone. Presumably there are other people like him on this planet.

Presumably.
    08-10-14 08:29 AM
    Hm I have a non professional friend who uses a Q10 as his casual daily driver, never heard him complain about apps since he only uses a few and is mainly into the browser and messaging/phone. Presumably there are other people like him on this planet.

Presumably.

Hmmm....that WAS my point. That professionals use apps. So therefore the differentiation between professional/consumer is flawed at this point BECAUSE people want both.

And there are empirically proven increasingly fewer numbers of people on the planet in the year 2014 who are content with the browser instead of apps.

And before the Android apps are brought into the discussion, there are enterprise customers who do not allow third party stores, dodgy or "official."
    Last edited by qbnkelt; 08-10-14 at 08:52 AM.
    mornhavon likes this.
    08-10-14 08:37 AM
    Personally I wish they would just give a launch date, price and pre-order date and get folks interested in it before Apple announces the release of the iPhone 6 which would be great.

Price is going to be the determining factor for me, it's all about be value added these days. Even in my business where we once just bought new purchases based on our loyalty to brand are over.

Now if the product doesn't have the long term value we are looking for, we just pass it over and look at a product that meets those requirements. I just hope the marketing folks up in Waterloo are smart enough to figure it out and don't overprice the thing.

Sent from my lovely z30 on T Mobile USA
    garrett lajoie likes this.
    08-10-14 09:44 AM
    Not only the iPhone to consider, there is the Note 4 which seems to be a beast. Best get the Passport announced and out now.
    Sent from my SUPER HOT Nokia Lumia 1520 via Tapatalk
    08-10-14 09:56 AM
    Hmmm....that WAS my point. That professionals use apps. So therefore the differentiation between professional/consumer is flawed at this point BECAUSE people want both.

And there are empirically proven increasingly fewer numbers of people on the planet in the year 2014 who are content with the browser instead of apps.

And before the Android apps are brought into the discussion, there are enterprise customers who do not allow third party stores, dodgy or "official."
    For Enterprise :

BlackBerry's Secure Work Space apps get U.S. Department of Defense approval | CrackBerry.com

and

Work & Personal Devices - Secure Containerization for Multiple Platforms - Canada

PS Did you ditch your double typing Q10 ? How do you spell class action suitt?
    08-10-14 10:08 AM
    Yup. That's one agency. Not all have adopted it. Not known how many will, especially given the low adoption rate of BB10 throughout the federal government. And others are begun the process of conducting pilots to leave.

I've got my Q. It's now completely retired. Although I'm not keen on selling it or gifting it. I still gave this dream that this whole Android on Blackberry thing is a temporary phase and I'll be ready to return.

08-10-14 10:16 AM
    Not only the iPhone to consider, there is the Note 4 which seems to be a beast. Best get the Passport announced and out now.
    But it's almost safe to assume the Note 4 is coming with 6 inches I guess. Can someone remind me of what exactly makes the Note a "beast" please?
    08-10-14 11:56 AM
    I couldn't agree more and beat them to the punch, but I think they have targeted the passport towards the business side and in the end, I will think it will heard the consumer like us who has there money in hand and are ready to buy it now, depending on pricing of course.

Sent from my lovely z30 on T Mobile USA
    08-10-14 12:14 PM
    But it's almost safe to assume the Note 4 is coming with 6 inches I guess. Can someone remind me of what exactly makes the Note a "beast" please?
    Well, for one example, many folks here like to talk about your BB phone being used as your desktop (dock it and connect to a big display and a BT keyboard and mouse, etc.). The two-year-old Note 2 already did that impressively, and the Note 3 was even considerably better and more powerful.

The Note 4 is expected to be another huge step forward in this area, and even though many owners don't even realize this is possible, I think you're going to see more of this as time goes on.
    mornhavon likes this.
    08-10-14 12:20 PM
    Well, for one example, many folks here like to talk about your BB phone being used as your desktop (dock it and connect to a big display and a BT keyboard and mouse, etc.). The two-year-old Note 2 already did that impressively, and the Note 3 was even considerably better and more powerful.

The Note 4 is expected to be another huge step forward in this area, and even though many owners don't even realize this is possible, I think you're going to see more of this as time goes on.
    Better?!? Sorry it does not seem to be better from the videos provided. A BlackBerry Z30(or a Passport) with 10.3 and BlackBerry Blend would be the perfect device for work and entertainment. It will be your pc,tv,music player,console game and phone.
    08-10-14 12:46 PM
    I would argue that the passport will be a business tool, but it should perform well in most multimedia aspects. I can really only see gaming suffer a bit.

To be honest if I do play a game it's usually candy crush or something of that nature. Which I'm sure will work fine.

I'm not a business man just yet but I'm planning on buying it, but I suppose I'm a fan boy haha.

Posted via CB10
    I play Candy Crush on both my Q10 and Z10 directly from the browser version of FB. Unfortunately it works great (unfortunately because I am addicted). I can't imagine any reason why it wouldn't work the same way on the Passport. For those who need an app, just save the CC web page to your home page

Posted on my Q10 or Z10
    smart548 likes this.
    08-10-14 02:43 PM
    This - I think an email was sent to developers of Q10 apps letting them know that, unless they DIDN'T want it to happen, all apps that are available for the Q10 will automatically be available for the Passport. Unless I'm mistaken, but I thought I read that on CB main page recently.

My understanding is all apps that work for the Q10 will work for the Passport.

Also I recall seeing something how android apps would fit the screen better than they do with the Q10 (picture showed Instagram being used)

Posted via CB10
    08-12-14 09:33 AM
    I heard the Note 4 was remaining at 5.7 inches not 6.

I have a note2 and love the SIZE. Much more than my z30. I've actually been thinking of trying the mega.

Having said that I don't like the OS. I prefer bb10 OS and the keyboard is better on bb10. I've also tried swift key and it doesn't compare to the way they implemented it on BlackBerry. One thing I have yet to figure out on my samsung was how to unread a text message. Oh and the emoticons are terrible on android

Posted via CB10
    08-12-14 06:47 PM