Hello Fellow Members,

I have noticed there is no single post which have complete detailed analysis of battery issues many are facing.
    Phone getting shut down at odd percentages 80%, 50% 25% 12% etc.

Brief:
    Q: How OS works for maintaining battery %

A: Z10 OS works like any other laptop OS for displaying Battery Percentage. That is it store the value of minimum and maximum volts a battery showcases. Generally Min Value is 3 and maximum is 4. So when we purchase a new battery the OS records its minimum value and maximum value once and makes it the basis of calculation of percentages.

Q: Why we face this issue of phone shutting down at odd percentages and not 0.

A: The best possible answer is that when a fresh OS is loaded it records wrong readings of minimum and maximum volts of a battery: Generally coined as BATTERY CALIBRATION ISSUE. So now instead of having default values of 3 and 4 it records something in between like 3.5 or 3.8 as minimum and 4 being maximum. so now as soon as your battery discharges to 3.5 volts (50%) it initiates shutting down mechanism and switches off the phone.

Q: What can be done to re-calibrate the battery to proper working:
    A: This is a process which i followed many times (mostly i face this issue after i run an autoloader when battery is not 100%)
    Here are the following steps:
    1. Let the battery completely discharge. Say phone shuts down at 50%, try rebootting. Keep rebooting untill its completely dead and fails to start again.
    2. Remove Battery, Sim Card and Memory card from the phone. If you have a Volt Meter check the battery status. IF it shows close to 3.1 to 3.3V then we can be assured the lowest levels of battery is reached as Lithium Batteries Never gets completely empty. Even if you dont have a voltmeter there is no issue.
    3. Leave battery outside the phone for an hour atleast.
    4. After an hour or so reinsert the battery inside the phone and Hold power button for 2 minutes atleast.
    5. Holding the power button make sure the reserve battery inside the phone also gets drained out.
    6. Now plug the charger to the phone. Note the charge % when phone switches on. If its close to 0-15% , you can continue with the charge. If its more than 15%, then you have to remove charger and repeat steps 1 to 5 again. Proceed to step 7 only if first glimpse of charge % is between 0-15% after phone powers on.

7. Let the phone gets charged to 100% . (Better if you dont use the phone during this period)
    8. Now leave the phone in charging for another 3 hours. (It will assure that maximum Battery Volts is recorded properly by the OS)
    9. Thats it. Your problem will be solved and phone will start working properly.

I know its a lengthy process but that is the only way to get the things done.
    Also Whenever you are using an autoloader always make sure your phone is fully charged before you start the process.

We can use the same technique for laptops. Also I would like to mention that these all are observations. I have no documented proof that this is how exactly the OS works. But I have tested this process on many of my friends phones and it have worked on all the devices including Samsung S3.

Regards

Edit: credits to Manie for the process and devletCM for their support and guidance.
    Last edited by Ashish Sanghvi; 08-11-14 at 10:23 AM.
    08-09-14 03:12 AM
    Thank you for this detailed step by step tutorial on how to recalibrate. Many people have this issue and I'm sure they will try your guide. Thanks again!
    Blacklatino likes this.
    08-09-14 08:26 AM
    Cool.. thanks for the detail explanations.

Posted from my Astro on Z30STA100-2/10.2.1.3247
    08-09-14 08:50 AM
    Thank you!! I have this problem and had no idea there was a way to fix it, I thought I would have to buy a new battery!

Posted via CB10
    08-09-14 02:29 PM
    Thanks! ! ! ! But is it gonna be fixed completely after application of this method suggested by u?

Posted via CB10
    08-10-14 03:02 PM
    Nice

Posted via CB10
    08-10-14 03:08 PM
    Thanks for the detailed explanation. Do you know what happens when battery levels drop to 97-99% after reaching 100% when over charging? I experienced that my battery level goes below 100% after leaving it charging for awhile. Thanks again.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-14 05:50 PM
    Thanks! ! ! ! But is it gonna be fixed completely after application of this method suggested by u?

Posted via CB10
    Fixed completely as in? Until u run an autoloader when the phone is not fully charged , it won't happen again as per my observations. I have faced this problem two times till date and both after autoloader installation.

Posted via CB 10 using the awesome bb10 keyboard
    08-10-14 11:09 PM
    Thanks for the detailed explanation. Do you know what happens when battery levels drop to 97-99% after reaching 100% when over charging? I experienced that my battery level goes below 100% after leaving it charging for awhile. Thanks again.

Posted via CB10
    I have no idea regarding that. But I think all current generation phone chargers are designed to avoid overcharging. That is even if charger is connected, after 100% it stops the current flow. Even if it drops to 97-99% it will again start charging the phone.

My method of charging over 3 hours accommodate such behavior of battery and ensures that in that period atleast once a maximum charge will b attained and that value will be recorded by OS.

Regards

CpE CKS likes this.
    08-10-14 11:13 PM
    I have no idea regarding that. But I think all current generation phone chargers are designed to avoid overcharging. That is even if charger is connected, after 100% it stops the current flow. Even if it drops to 97-99% it will again start charging the phone.

My method of charging over 3 hours accommodate such behavior of battery and ensures that in that period atleast once a maximum charge will b attained and that value will be recorded by OS.

Regards

Great. One last question if you don't mind since you know a lot about this thing, why do batteries swell? I got one. I'm confused because I don't even over charge it. I charge it every time it hits 10%. I play some heavy games 30min/day on an average. I wanted to make most of my gadget that's why I'm going crazy over taking care of it. Sorry for that

Posted via CB10
    08-11-14 12:07 AM
    Great. One last question if you don't mind since you know a lot about this thing, why do batteries swell? I got one. I'm confused because I don't even over charge it. I charge it every time it hits 10%. I play some heavy games 30min/day on an average. I wanted to make most of my gadget that's why I'm going crazy over taking care of it. Sorry for that

Posted via CB10
    http://tutorial-fornewbie.blogspot.i...tting.html?m=1

You can this link for detailed explanation.

CpE CKS likes this.
    08-11-14 01:27 AM

Posted via CB10
    That's how my curve 8520 died
    It kept freezing to the point it was unusable and kept showing me error messages... I opened up the back to nose around and to my surprise I had a fat a$$ battery!!

Posted via CB10
    08-11-14 04:02 AM
    Thanks for the detailed information. For the Z10, I believe this thread will come in handy. Also, as a longtime user of BlackBerries, I'm not looking for guarantees because I know that's not realistic based on variables - including user experience. However, I'm good at "not" second-guessing/questioning/revising directives that work for others. . Anyway, thanks again.
    08-11-14 05:40 AM
    That's how my curve 8520 died
    It kept freezing to the point it was unusable and kept showing me error messages... I opened up the back to nose around and to my surprise I had a fat a$$ battery!!

Posted via CB10
    I really fear that it will happen to me that's I'm being very careful with my Z10
    08-11-14 08:50 AM
    I tried your method and started using the phone after 9 hrs of charge! It was working properly but after that it got rebooted and now again it's running on 0% since 1 hour

Posted via CB10
    08-11-14 10:10 AM
    I tried your method and started using the phone after 9 hrs of charge! It was working properly but after that it got rebooted and now again it's running on 0% since 1 hour

Posted via CB10
    Same happened with me. You have to repeat the process or rerun the autoloader with 100% battery

08-11-14 10:19 AM
    I basically don't know how to run an autoloader cos earlier I've done all the updates from the phone itself ie. official so can u suggest me how to do it

Posted via CB10
    08-11-14 10:21 AM
    I basically don't know how to run an autoloader cos earlier I've done all the updates from the phone itself ie. official so can u suggest me how to do it

Posted via CB10
    You can search the forums for the same. There is already a detailed guide regarding the same.

08-11-14 10:30 AM

Posted via CB10
    Download the autoloader, connect your phone to a pc, run autoloader. It does everything for you.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-14 05:49 PM
    It didn't seem to be effective after I saw this o_o

Posted via CB10
    But basically, the concept is to make sure that the battery is drained out so the phone gets the right reading, right?

Posted via CB10
    08-11-14 05:51 PM
    I have a similar fix but a rather shorter one. This is what I do:
    1. Drain your battery.
    2. Take it out for 45 mins.
    3. Put it back in after 45 mins and hold the power button to ensure that battery is drained. Then charge your phone. Wait for it to turn on.
    4. If the battery indicator shows more than 10%, unplug the phone from the charger immediately. Wait for the indicator to turn to 0% (usually takes 3-5 minutes) then plug the charger to your phone again immediately. Then charge till full. Your indicator's accurate already.
    5. If your indicator shows below 5% after it turns on then just leave it to charge.

This works for me everytime. Hope this helps! Other than this battery calibration issue, my stl100-1 works great!
    08-11-14 06:22 PM
    Tried, tried, tried and cried I'm fed up! Plz send me the link to the latest 10.2.2xx autoloader

Posted via CB10
    08-11-14 10:20 PM
    It didn't seem to be effective after I saw this o_o

But basically, the concept is to make sure that the battery is drained out so the phone gets the right reading, right?

Posted via CB10
    Yes the concept works around that idea only.

CpE CKS likes this.
    08-11-14 11:15 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=951279

10.2.2 autoloaders

08-11-14 11:16 PM
    Yesterday I removed the battery for an hour charged it till 100% and again 3 hrs more now it was working fine till 7% after that it again showed 0% and now working from like 15 minutes

Posted via CB10
    08-13-14 06:46 AM
87 123 ...