Currently BB10 has an Android runtime that allows users to install android applications and run them on their phones. Would it be possible for a desktop version of QNX to be developed that would have a "windows/mac" runtime?

The idea would be that a consumer like myself would be able to buy a desktop computer, have it run a version of QNX, and that I would then be able to benefit from the security features of a QNX based OS.

This concept could later be carried over to enterprise where a BES like system could be set up to manage desktops and laptops, allowing for remote wiping and control of applications available to end users.

Is this idea feasable, or are there limits to how the runtime can work with applications from other systems? I just think that consumers and enterprises would like to have the benefits of QNX security on their desktops and laptops, while still being able to run the applications and games they already use from these other OSs. If it's possible, the potential new revenue stream may be a nice boon as well. Thoughts?

Posted while peeking and flowing on my incredible BBQ10! ?
    08-07-14 07:27 PM
    Na. Android is an OpenSource OS. Windows and MacOS aren't.

We may yet see a QNX version for consumer desktops or even a Desktop BB10, but no such thing as a Windows/Mac runtime.
    08-07-14 10:49 PM
    -_-

What exactly is QNX Security? Do you know?
    08-07-14 10:52 PM
    -_-

What exactly is QNX Security? Do you know?
    No, not really to be honest. I've just been lead to understand that it can be implemented in a secure way making the systems that run it more resistant to attacks (ie nuclear power plants, power stations, medical devices, etc).

If that same concept could be applied to desktops and laptops making them more resistant to viruses and malware the way our phones are, I just see that as being a very big potential benefit.

08-08-14 07:20 AM
    Na. Android is an OpenSource OS. Windows and MacOS aren't.

We may yet see a QNX version for consumer desktops or even a Desktop BB10, but no such thing as a Windows/Mac runtime.
    Hmm, so maybe a Linux runtime version that would let us run Linux applications?

08-08-14 07:22 AM
    That's totally possible.

Posted via CB10
    3_M4N likes this.
    08-08-14 07:31 AM
    well u have a program VMware that let u run a virtual computer on your desktop with any OS u want.

so lets say u running windows XP, vmware let u run a virtual computer with Vista, linux , macos,....
    and its just showing as a folder in windows XP, so maybe u could run windows under a QNX OS.
    3_M4N likes this.
    08-08-14 07:50 AM
    Provided the software is there, anything g is possible. But what he wants, as he described, would need BlackBerry paying heavy royalties to Microsoft, which just not gonna happen.

Posted via CB10
    3_M4N likes this.
    08-08-14 07:52 AM
    i dont think so, u just buy yourself a copy of any windows OS and run it as a virtual computer in the QNX environment
    08-08-14 07:59 AM
    umm what it sounds like is you want a fully functional emulator. You can download that now from BB.
    08-08-14 08:14 AM
    You can already get QNX as a desktop OS if you are a QNX developer so you don't need a "QNX runtime". It should also be possible to run QNX inside a virtualmachine such as virtualbox with Windows, OSX or Linux as the host OS. Perhaps you might look into joining the BB OS 10 developer program and see if they offer an "emulator" or "simulator" which are essentially BB 10 running in a virtualbox on your desktop.
    08-08-14 09:23 AM
    BlackBerry Blend looks like it may offer some of what you are asking for.

Z30 and loving it!
    3_M4N likes this.
    08-08-14 09:48 AM
    You can already get QNX as a desktop OS if you are a QNX developer so you don't need a "QNX runtime". It should also be possible to run QNX inside a virtualmachine such as virtualbox with Windows, OSX or Linux as the host OS. Perhaps you might look into joining the BB OS 10 developer program and see if they offer an "emulator" or "simulator" which are essentially BB 10 running in a virtualbox on your desktop.
    OP never asked for a QNX runtime. He wants QNX as the main OS and Windows as a runtime.
    3_M4N likes this.
    08-08-14 10:07 AM
    What's the point of developing a desktop OS at this point? Firstly, it requires WAY too many resources that BlackBerry can afford. Secondly, no one will switch from Windows and Mac. People already complain about Mac not having the necessary software, as if QNX OS will xD Businesses already have their perfectly running software on windows (mostly) and they are not going to go through the trouble of having it coded again. The consumers face little-to-no benefit as well, might as well pay for Kaspersky, Norton or something.

Posted via CB10
    3_M4N likes this.
    08-08-14 10:26 AM
    As Chromebooks are doing well, BBBooks would not be a crazy idea.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-14 10:37 AM
    APPS!

Having a hard enough time selling phones with QNX / BB10 installed on them....
    kbz1960 likes this.
    08-08-14 10:53 AM
    What's the point of developing a desktop OS at this point? Firstly, it requires WAY too many resources that BlackBerry can afford. Secondly, no one will switch from Windows and Mac. People already complain about Mac not having the necessary software, as if QNX OS will xD Businesses already have their perfectly running software on windows (mostly) and they are not going to go through the trouble of having it coded again. The consumers face little-to-no benefit as well, might as well pay for Kaspersky, Norton or something.

Posted via CB10
    Well that's precisely why I was asking about whether a windows or mac runtime would be possible. To address your first point, you may be right. I'm not sure what it would take to create a version of QNX for the desktop. If we learned anything from the PlayBook it may be that creating an OS for different devices is trickier than it seems.

To address your second point, the idea behind developing a QNX desktop OS with a runtime, would be the convenience of not having to recode any software. You could install your games and office applications and they would (ideally) run flawlessly due to the mac or windows runtime silently chugging away in the background.

Just like how I can download an android app and have it run perfectly on my phone, I'm imagining a way to install windows/mac/linux software on a computer running a QNX based OS.

08-08-14 01:13 PM

Z30 and loving it!
    Partially, yes. I just picture my computer booting up with a QNX screen and being able to run windows/mac/linux programs with no problem. In a corporate setting then BES would be able to manage desktop and laptops as well.

Blend to me looks like it will allow me to interact with the programs on my phone through the web, but my core OS running on the computer would still be mac/windows/linux. And I would be limited in what apps I can use by whatever happens to be on my phone at that time.

08-08-14 02:28 PM
    It's possible.

Posted with my Z10 stl100-2 / 10.3.0.853
    3_M4N likes this.
    08-08-14 03:01 PM
    QNX Community Forums

Go take a look at what you can do with QNX.....
    08-08-14 03:24 PM
    As Chromebooks are doing well, BBBooks would not be a crazy idea.

Posted via CB10
    yes i would love a Blackberry-style netbook that would be a great idea.
    3_M4N likes this.
    08-08-14 03:33 PM

Z30 and loving it!
    i would really love to use BB10 even on a virtual machine (but better if integrated in Blend)
    I can see how BBM Channels would get another dimension if they were integrated into Blend, could easily be a new social platform (not only for BB10 or BBM users) and a perfect additional service to twitter.
    3_M4N likes this.
    08-08-14 06:00 PM
    Myself, I'm going to look into Blend very carefully when it's out.

May just be the solution we are wanting on this thread...
    3_M4N and pttptppt like this.
    08-08-14 10:36 PM
    I just got a Logitech Pro for my Galaxy Tab 12.2, and it's really cool. I got it just in case, even if I don't do much tablet typing.

I would prefer BlackBerry to make a 12" tablet and provide a similar solution. I would have bought a 12" BB10 tablet instead of Android if one existed (although I guess a built-in stylus would also be needed. I would have bought the Note if it were not for the special deal I got).
    08-09-14 07:00 AM
    Why in the world would they do that when they can't even get people to buy phones with the OS?????????? Again, what in the world would a BB10 computer provide that every other computer can not?
    propeller10 likes this.
    08-09-14 07:31 AM
56 123