Good day/evening to the wise and noble individuals capable of running a BES 10 server. I'm very interested in giving this a shot. Yes I'm aware of the trial cloud service BlackBerry is offering. But I would rather have the hardware that the service runs on in my sight.

With the above being said. I'd greatly appreciate if someone could inform me of the costs it would take to run this service. As I've said in the title. I'm looking to test the 1-500 device range. With more emphasis being put on the 1 as opposed to the 500.

Thanks in advance.
    08-07-14 04:01 PM
    Starts at $900 unless you want to go about renting your own servers and such and installing your own OS' etc etc etc.

There are three off-the-shelf programs with additional services available for purchase as needed. They include advantage, priority and premium. Advantage level is an entry-level support package. Annual fee is $900 with annual support fee for devices is $4 to $24, so this is best for customers with less than 500 devices. Priority level is best for up to 2,000 devices with an annual support cost of $10,000. Call BES for premium level fees.
    http://www.scmagazine.com/blackberry...0/review/4243/
    08-07-14 04:24 PM
    Hello

My background is 8 years working as a BlackBerry system integrator, a lot of training and certifications.

You need a Windows server license and appropriate hardware. I would recommend 4GB RAM for a start and depending on the workload 6-10 GB when adding 500 devices.
    BES server license is free. A silver CAL license is $19/year/device.

You can get a free trial license for 20 users. Works for 60 days as far as I remember.

Installation of the BES 10 is not too difficult. You can keep it simple by keeping all components on one server and skip the iOS/Android settings (UDS). You might consider using an existing SQL server on the network and avoid installing the SQL Express (selectable during install).

Posted via CB10
    zocster likes this.
    08-07-14 04:32 PM
    Bla1ze are referring to support contracts. This also covers upgrades of CAL when BES.next us out.

Personally I use pay per incident instead. Upgrade fees are not out yet.

Posted via CB10
    08-07-14 04:35 PM
    Hello. My background is 8 years working as a BlackBerry system integrator, a lot of training and certifications.

You need a Windows server license and appropriate hardware. I would recommend 4GB RAM for a start and depending on the workload 6-10 GB when adding 500 devices. BES server license is free. A silver CAL license is $19/year/device.

You can get a free trial license for 20 users. Works for 60 days as far as I remember.

Installation of the BES 10 is not too difficult. You can keep it simple by keeping all components on one server and skip the iOS/Android settings (UDS). You might consider using an existing SQL server on the network and avoid installing the SQL Express (selectable during install).
    Thank-you for your response. Would you be able to recommend a piece of appropriate hardware capable of running that which you have mentioned. I want to buy a server for the 1-500 range but not sure where to look or what to get.
    Last edited by Heinz Katchup; 08-07-14 at 04:58 PM.
    08-07-14 04:39 PM
    Bla1ze are referring to support contracts. This also covers upgrades of CAL when BES.next us out.

Personally I use pay per incident instead. Upgrade fees are not out yet.

Posted via CB10
    Ya, per incident is easier if you kinda sorta have a handle on things and know exactly what you're getting into.
    08-07-14 04:41 PM
    Would this tower server be up to the task (meeting hardware requirements). Enough to run on the lower end of the 1-500 device range?

Lenovo ThinkServer
    08-07-14 06:26 PM
    Would this tower server be up to the task (meeting hardware requirements). Enough to run on the lower end of the 1-500 device range?

Lenovo ThinkServer
    That machine looked to be a case, motherboard, and CPU? You?d have to buy your RAM and hard-drives, network card and video card. In addition to the OS, you'll have to get an email server (Exchange or IBM Domino). You can also look at ThinkStations (workstation class hardware) for light load server use.

Don't forget that to run your own server you'll need to check with your ISP to make sure they allow you to run a server and that you have a static IP address.
    08-07-14 11:59 PM
    That machine looked to be a case, motherboard, and CPU? You?d have to buy your RAM and hard-drives, network card and video card. In addition to the OS, you'll have to get an email server (Exchange or IBM Domino). You can also look at ThinkStations (workstation class hardware) for light load server use.

Don't forget that to run your own server you'll need to check with your ISP to make sure they allow you to run a server and that you have a static IP address.
    Yes it does seem to be missing a lot of components upon closer inspection. I'll take a look at some ThinkStations. Thanks for the info.

Posted with X10 via CB10
    08-08-14 12:08 AM

Not necessary if he just wants to enable BlackBerry devices. The server creates one outbound connection to BBI on TCP port 3101 and its does not require a static IP. Same goes for SWS for iOS / Android.

Theoretically you could use DynDNS for the UDS part, but I haven't ever met a corporate customer without a static IP. But until OP need basic MDM on iOS / Android this is not an issue.

Posted via CB10
    08-09-14 01:42 AM
    http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/...ise+Service+10

See "Installation guide" page 13-14.

Posted via CB10
    08-09-14 01:49 AM
    This is all very helpful. So thank-you for the responses.

I would be really thankful if someone could just link me to a piece of compatible hardware for the 1-500 device range.

Saying basically here. This server will do the trick for your hardware needs.

Posted with X10 via CB10
    08-09-14 01:59 AM
    Not necessary if he just wants to enable BlackBerry devices. The server creates one outbound connection to BBI on TCP port 3101 and its does not require a static IP. Same goes for SWS for iOS / Android.

Theoretically you could use DynDNS for the UDS part, but I haven't ever met a corporate customer without a static IP. But until OP need basic MDM on iOS / Android this is not an issue.

Posted via CB10
    Don't forget that BES is just a system on top of a pre-existing and properly set up email system.

It's going to be hard for Internet servers to send email to his domain w/o a static IP address registered in Internet DNS to the MX for his domain. ;-)

Sure, he'll be able to *send* email from his own domain w/o a static IP address but that assumes: a) his ISP permits outbound SMTP and; b) that the dynamic IP from which his email originates is in an address range that is not designated for consumer DSL and cable subscribers. This would result in a poor reputation in SenderBase and ultimately rejection of emails sent from his domain.

So let's just assume that the email part is properly already in place (example MS Exchange) and BES is simply an overlay which will allow him secure communication into that infrastructure.

I'm a network engineer and I run my own "hobby" BES10 w/ 6 perpetual CALs and my family's BBs, a PlayBook and an iOS device activated. Works like a charm this having my own personal cloud thing (take that NSA!) but I *do* have a provider that allows SMTP inbound and outbound, and has allocated 5 static IP addresses to me.

Posted via CB10
    jpvj likes this.
    08-09-14 08:53 PM
    This is all very helpful. So thank-you for the responses.

I would be really thankful if someone could just link me to a piece of compatible hardware for the 1-500 device range.

Saying basically here. This server will do the trick for your hardware needs.

Posted with X10 via CB10
    You can get BES10 working on a system with a 2009- era CPU and as little as 50 GB HDD space and 4GB of RAM. This includes OS, email server, BES10 and IIS (which is needed to run the different BES modules). Interacting with the UI will be dog slow, but it?ll process all the email fine.

Obviously if you want to "future-proof" your setup or make it run decently fast, get a mid/upper range CPU and more RAM. Doesn't have to be a Xeon but it shouldn't be an Atom either.

What I'm trying to say is, don't worry too much about the machine specs. Just about any new laptop or desktop is capable of doing what you need. A midrange machine will work.

But get the static IP address from your ISP and make sure your ISP doesn't mind you running SMTP!
    08-11-14 05:03 PM