In the last days some documents have been leaked by a still unknown whistleblower. At least one of them from April 2014 includes more or less detailed informations about the use of this special software on BB devices. As the document shows BB devices running BB10 are probably still not affected (why?) but legacy OS5, 6, 7 devices are prone to. The document also shows what concrete informations can be monitored. Entire document (english): https://netzpolitik.org/wp-upload/0F28548C.pdf
    08-07-14 12:54 AM
    Am I missing it or is it not there? I see no mention of BlackBerry even in that PDF. Yes, I'm aware of the previous info but the PDF posted has no mention in it. Also, Finfisher goes back to 2012, this isn't *new* - http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...omberg-742472/ Got any other, more relevant links? I'd like to read them.

As for why? Well, if I recall FinFisher relied on a certain level of user stupidity in order to run. Users had to actually install the app, allow the permissions and grant it access to fully enable it. They would have pop-ups requesting the access as well so it wasn't a flaw in the OS, if it got installed, it was because the user ignored the red flags or didn't know any better.

BlackBerry even wrote up this blog post shortly after, basically advising people to not be stupid in a much nicer way lol - http://bizblog.blackberry.com/2012/0...re-protection/
    08-07-14 02:09 AM
    Damned, wrong link! See original release notes here: https://netzpolitik.org/wp-upload/Re...obile-4.51.pdf Note: the mentions of device components are only the limitations of that software. Indeed it does much more.
    08-07-14 02:23 AM
    I still can't open the link..
    08-07-14 03:14 AM
    I can open this link. Anyway ... the source of this is here. https://netzpolitik.org/2014/gamma-f...taatstrojaner/ OK, this page is German but don't be confused. Click on the link named "FinSpyMobile 4.51 Release Notes � 2014-04-14 (15 Seiten)", this is English.
    08-07-14 03:21 AM
    For BlackBerry BBOS 5,6,7:

Upon installation a popup will be presented with all the
    rights the application needs. The user has to accept all
    the conditions to continue the FINSPY MOBILE
    Software installation
    When installed, the
    FinSpy
    Mobile Software
    will be
    visible in the installed applications list. When executed, will also be visible as a running process in the runni
    ng
    processes list.
    etc.

No change from the last time I looked at it. As Bla1ze said, if this ended up on your phone it's because you weren't very careful with it.

EDIT:

And as for why it isn't available on BB10? Maybe because all third party applications will have an icon on the home screen, or there would be a ton of CB threads asking why FinSpy was using all their battery, memory or bandwidth.
    08-07-14 11:06 AM
    And as for why it isn't available on BB10? Maybe because all third party applications will have an icon on the home screen, or there would be a ton of CB threads asking why FinSpy was using all their battery, memory or bandwidth.
    I think the answer is: because BB10 didn't play a role on the mass market until now. BB10 is still totally unknown for many, many people. Never heard of it, of course never bought one. So they concentrate on iOS and Andriod versions of this software. Windows Phone surprizes me - perhaps a derivation from the desktop software. I refuse to assume it has indeed technical reasons. Both iOS and Android are also UNIX-like OSes with a lot of builtin security concepts. As mentioned the spy software would come as a trojan. Of course you have a nice icon for this and perhaps a beautiful flashlight app with some energy consumption (and the usual network traffic which flashlights normally have ...)
    Last edited by muellerto; 08-08-14 at 02:09 AM.
    08-08-14 01:18 AM
    I think the answer is: because BB10 didn't play a role on the mass market until now. BB10 is still totally unknown for many, many people. Never heard of it, of course never bought one. So they concentrate on iOS and Andriod versions of this software. Windows Phone surprizes me - perhaps a derivation from the desktop software. I refuse to assume it has indeed technical reasons. Both iOS and Android are also UNIX-like OSes with a lot of builtin security concepts. As mentioned the spy software would come as a trojan. Of course you have a nice icon for this and perhaps a beautiful flashlight app with some energy consumption (and the usual network traffic which flashlights normally have ...)
    Android with builtin security "concepts "? What does that even mean. Security concepts?

Posted via CB10
    08-08-14 11:07 AM
    Well, if I recall FinFisher relied on a certain level of user stupidity in order to run. Users had to actually install the app, allow the permissions and grant it access to fully enable it.
    How charitable of you to refer to this as "a certain level" of stupidity...

Thumb-flicked from my Z30 via CB10
    08-08-14 12:56 PM