I think it's time BlackBerry started attacking big banks, and these corporations to make apps. While BlackBerry World won't be pushing games and time wasting apps we need native stock apps. Ameritrade and Scottrade. We need native B of A apps along with Wells Fargo and others. Chen needs to get the passport into the hands of these businesses so they can create better apps for BlackBerry 10 not just some android hand me down.

Chen has been doing a good job but it's time to attack the app situation on the business end. Once he gets those big native business apps more will flow (see what I did there lol) and then BlackBerry devices will peek more customer interest.

Posted via my BeastBerry Z30
    08-05-14 11:09 AM
    I agree that we need more native banking apps. That's been a problem since day 1
    08-05-14 11:27 AM
    Are there any actions that BlackBerry could take that would make a difference here?
    08-05-14 11:30 AM
    BlackBerry should at least match what is available on the Android store.

Some key software:
    - Networking Software like Cisco AnyConnect (VPN Software)... if the Kindle can have it, I don't see why the Passport can't
    - Banking Software
    - Video conferencing Software (less known ones too)
    - Office productivity Software (document connectors)

BlackBerry should help decoup Android software from Google Play. This should allow the app developer capture a larger market.

This means they need to recommend an ad and payment processor.

Paypal does in app payment for iOS and Android.

There are ways to integrate ad processing without using Google Play also.

By going with the above, developers can make their apps more platform independant. This is a win for them (bigger market) and a win for BlackBerry (app available).
    08-05-14 11:47 AM
    As with all development... a market is needed. And yes business users are going to want apps.

Ameritrade, Scottrade, Wells Fargo, Cisco, Microsoft (office).... these companies all have apps because they are targeting consumers just as much as they do business professionals. That's one flaw in the "niche" market plan, as a "niche" player there possible will be even fewer native apps as current developers in BlackBerry World that bought in to the rebirth of BlackBerry as a major player and thus built an app back last year.... some of who have since not updated that app or have even pulled their app.

It's a problem that even Amazon faces and they have over 50 Million Kindle users.... in addition to millions of other Android Users that for some reason might buy an App from Amazon over Goggle Play. So say they have 100 Million users... and yet Instagram want build them an App? And many of the apps they do have are missing the latest update.... or even they last several updates.

Simply Developers are looking to reach 90% of users... it you are a "niche" market, then you will only get apps from the developers willing to target that "niche".
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    08-05-14 12:00 PM