Hey everyone.

My wife is upgrading her Z10 to a Z30. What is the proper procedure to do the device switch via Link?

When I get the new Z30, should I take her SIM card, put it in the new phone to do an OS update and then do the device switch?

Will *everything* be switched over to her new device, or will somethings be omitted? Will Android apps be switched or will I have to do that manually?

If someone can help me out with my questions, as well as give me any additional tips or advice, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-14 08:31 PM
    well it should go fairly smooth with the newest link
    08-04-14 08:48 PM
    Plug the Z10 in BlackBerry Link.

Select Switch Device. One the back up completed, plug the Z30 in.

If it says the software isn't compatible. Then do the update.

Not sure about the Android but if they don't transfer over, just download them again.

Also after the switch. Go through the settings on the Z30 and make sure their correct.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-14 08:49 PM
    Hey if you go to BBW and get the app back up pro, you can back up a lot of your stuff to the sd card then get the app on the Z30 and do a restore,
    FireChestApps likes this.
    08-04-14 08:51 PM
    Hey if you go to BBW and get the app back up pro, you can back up a lot of your stuff to the sd card then get the app on the Z30 and do a restore,
    What "stuff"? I think the most tedious thing to set up again would be the ringtones and notifications. Does that app back up notification settings?

Posted via CB10
    08-04-14 09:18 PM
    What "stuff"? I think the most tedious thing to set up again would be the ringtones and notifications. Does that app back up notification settings?

Posted via CB10
    I'm not sure , I set my phone up like new all the time, as I don't want to transfer any bad crap that could be in the BB link.
    08-04-14 09:20 PM
    I appreciate everyone's responses.

But, it would be awesome to hear from a CB mod like Bla1ze or Kevin... It seems like they do a lot of device switches (I dunno...maybe they don't and I'm delusional) but I'm curious if they use Link or just do everything from scratch? Or, do they do a selective backup?

Posted via CB10
    08-04-14 09:26 PM

But, it would be awesome to hear from a CB mod like Bla1ze or Kevin... It seems like they do a lot of device switches (I dunno...maybe they don't and I'm delusional) but I'm curious if they use Link or just do everything from scratch? Or, do they do a selective backup?

Posted via CB10
    Send bla1ze a pm I'm sure he will get back to you, he's a pretty nice guy.
    08-04-14 09:28 PM

Posted via CB10
    Did you find out more? I am planning to change from Z10 to Q10, and would like to know what the best way is to switch. It is yet not clear to me what the difference would be to use device switch versus just restoring from a Z10 backup to the Q10 (of course, assuming they both have the same OS version).

Posted via Z10
    08-07-14 06:58 PM
    The new BB link update works pretty good, give it a try.
    08-07-14 10:37 PM
    The new BB link update works pretty good, give it a try.
    Okay, but what does Device Switch via Link does that simple Restore via Link does not do? Is it just assigning the BB ID to the new device?

Posted via Z10
    08-08-14 07:17 AM
    I haven't tried it yet. The Z30 has arrived, but I'm waiting for all the accessories (case, charging stand) to arrive before I pull the trigger.

I plan on turning off the network connection when doing the device switch. I hate when emails, texts or bbms come in when I have the device plugged into link and I'm doing a back up. I don't want something small and stupid to screw up the process.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-14 08:12 AM
    I just bought a Z10 and switched from my Q10.
    Almost all my settings stayed the same.
    I had to sign in to all my accounts again.
    Had to reinstall Amazon App Store and apps (only have Kindle)

My biggest problem came with Contacts and Calendar which originally came from Outlook on my computer.
    Turns out Link only backs up LOCAL contacts and appointments. I went from over 1000 contacts to 34!! So I synced again with Outlook. Then I got duplicates, contacts I didn't want, and no appointments.

That's when I called BB tech support. They were awesome!! Jay stayed with me for 2 weeks (phone calls several times) while I went through all my contacts, fixed them, and copied each to local. Then I did a full backup on Link and reinstalled the OS. Now my contacts are Perfect! (I still haven't reinstalled FB because I'm afraid it will infiltrate my contacts again).
    I had a problem getting my appointments to sync. Between Jay, myself, and his supervisor we found the correct folder to sync and it worked!

Now I'm in love with my Z10 and my wonderful little Q10 sits on my desk!!!

Posted on my Q10 or Z10
    08-08-14 10:35 AM