A friend of mine was so impressed with my PlayBook 4G LTE that she has bought one two from that now famous Ebay UK seller.
    But when she went to set up her BlackBerry ID, it tells her that the user name (i.e. her own email address) is already taken, which means there is a password attached. She swears blind that she has never set up a BBID previously.
    She can't reset the password as there are password recovery questions that of course she can't answer.
    Firstly, how can it be that someone else has set up a BlackBerry ID using her email address?
    And secondly is there any other way around this, other than for her to use a different email address?
    Thirdly, what does having a BBID for a standalone PlayBook actually mean in practice? Does it affect purchasing apps from BB World?
    Kind regards
    Bertie
    08-01-14 05:47 AM
    She should register her device, then request the ID be reset from the @BlackberryHelp support.
    BlackBerry PlayBook Support - Tablet Direct Support - Canada (or appropriate to her country).

The ID is crucial to many aspects of BB experience and usability of varied services.
    08-01-14 06:07 AM
    Thanks, but I'm not sure there is any more direct support from BlackBerry for the PlayBook.
    And I can't see a way to actually enter the serial number on that page!
    08-01-14 06:20 AM
    Was the Playbook new and did she have to go through the full setup from the initial boot? If it was previously setup and she is just trying to edit the BlackBerryID, that may be the problem. The only way to change a BlackBerryID on a Playbook or OS10 phone is to do a security wipe and then go through the initial setup again.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-14 03:40 PM
    From what I understand is that his friend's email add has been already used to activate another BlackBerry PlayBook. It is also possible that she got another BlackBerry devices and used the same email to get BlackBerry ID.

It is very unlikely that another person can register the same username if his friend registered it first. Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc. will know if the "username" you are trying to register has been already taken. But a slight difference in spelling additional numeric or even use of underscore can make things acceptable. Either she has already used her email in some BlackBerry devices (or someone knew her email add / password and used it to register) OR she is entering wrong password (if the username / email add is correct).

Posted via CB10
    08-02-14 03:27 AM
    Btw, "YES" the BlackBerry ID will or has an effect on BlackBerry (Apps) World i.e. all your purchased and downloaded apps and games in your PlayBook (if you have one) will also be available in your other BB10 devices, if you use the same BB ID and as long as they are compatible with them (since PlayBook OS is not BB10).

Posted via CB10
    08-02-14 03:33 AM
    Is she sure??
    I have plenty of devices and "only one" BB-ID... so she can have 1 email linked to 1 BB-ID and then run all her devices with that...
    She has to connect to
    http://de.blackberry.com/bbid.html?d=BB10Kbd&o=10
    And set up a BB-ID linking it to her e-mail and do the confirmation...
    She has to be the owner of the e-mail adress. And verify that noone else uses that e-mail!

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    08-02-14 04:07 AM
    Thanks everyone for your replies.
    She tells me she has never had a BlackBerry phone before & that the PlayBook is her first BB device. And she has never registered for a BB ID before.
    But the username (her email address) is shown as `Confirmed` on the BBID section of the BB website.
    Its a mystery, but a Google search shows a few people complaining this has happened to them too (not just with a PB) & no-one has come up with an answer.
    Her PB was sold as brand new, although to be honest I think this supplier may be selling refurbished PlayBooks from Malaysia.
    08-02-14 05:31 AM
    all the screen names i give are shown as already existing?what to do?
    05-07-17 06:46 AM