Pricing is set to be around $649.99 CAD, or $129.99-$149.99 On-Contract (Contract Pricing WILL vary)
    - info from DHabkirk Design

Posted via CB10
    DYLANHABKIRK and seluje like this.
    07-31-14 07:42 AM
    Rumor at this point until BlackBerry announce it.

"I love when people boast about their phones...like its a pissing contest"
    07-31-14 07:59 AM
    Wow, that's less than expected on contract if that were so. I'm expecting $199-$249 on contract.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-14 08:03 AM
    Can we wait till it's officially announced? We can afford to start giving people false information...
    07-31-14 08:07 AM
    It CANNOT be more than $199 on contract. BlackBerry can't afford to do that. Needs to be even less than that
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk
    lift likes this.
    07-31-14 08:51 AM
    It CANNOT be more than $199 on contract. BlackBerry can't afford to do that. Needs to be even less than that
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk
    Oh blackberry chooses contract pricing?
    Didn't know.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-14 08:57 AM
    Didn't know.

Posted via CB10

Well they have to have some say. Carriers sure as h3ll wouldn't be stupid enough to price them that high, especially since they all started very high across all carriers.
    07-31-14 08:59 AM
    Didn't know.

Posted via CB10
    I'm fairly confident that Blackberry has most of the control over the contract pricing. Blackberry is not a newbie. It knows the price points it should offer to the carriers for them to sell Blackberry phones for 200 USD on contract.

I don't understand this new 'Blackberry has no control over contract pricing' mantra insinuating that Blackberry might charge carriers cheaply relative to Samsung and Apple OEMs but that carriers gouge Blackberry consumers.

First, if this were the case, I'd think we'd hear something from Blackberry. That sounds like outright market manipulation/monopolistic tendency. Second of all, if this were the case, why would Blackberry phones be priced similarly as the carriers unlocked on its own website? The entire argument is plain absurd.
    ajst222 likes this.
    07-31-14 09:07 AM
    Well they have to have some say. Carriers sure as h3ll wouldn't be stupid enough to price them that high, especially since they all started very high across all carriers.
    Have you seen what carriers charge for a Bold (VZW 9930 is still at $99 on contract), and they are three year old devices.

If Carriers see the Passport as a consumer device, they will discount it. If they see it as mainly a business device, they won't - expect as part of some pricing via their volume business reps.

As for the $649.99 CAD - that would be great! I really expect that based on the specs and screen size and BlackBerry's limited buying power that the price will be much higher as BlackBerry NEEDS profits. And as some have hinted at medical uses.... nothing in the medical field is cheap.
    Thunderbuck and southlander like this.
    07-31-14 09:21 AM
    It's all speculative until Blackberry officially releases it, I don't believe anything until it's listed on the Blackberry website.

Sent from my lovely z30 on T Mobile USA
    07-31-14 09:22 AM
    I hope this isn't true, I won't purchase it at that price point. I'll add that I'm actually really excited about this device, like I was with the z30, but I will not spend more on a device that so far, does less, for me, than competing devices. $500 is definitely my max for the passport, and no, I do not partake in subsidized pricing.
    lift, rukdngme and Damatrix02 like this.
    07-31-14 03:04 PM
    I can't see how the Passport could cost 500$ when all the devices from Q10 to Z10 and Z30 never were around that price. (and I do think they overpriced the first BB10 devices... more than 600 euro was outrageous)
    Even my second hand Q10 cost me a little more than that when I bought it few months after the launch.
    So when it comes to a flagship like the Passport (with 32GB and a new sensitive keyboard) I can only imagine a sub 600$ price.
    By curiosity is there any flagship from other brands that ever got a price tag at 500$?

Posted via CB10
    07-31-14 06:45 PM
    I can't see how the Passport could cost 500$ when all the devices from Q10 to Z10 and Z30 never were around that price. (and I do think they overpriced the first BB10 devices... more than 600 euro was outrageous)
    Even my second hand Q10 cost me a little more than that when I bought it few months after the launch.
    So when it comes to a flagship like the Passport (with 32GB and a new sensitive keyboard) I can only imagine a sub 600$ price.
    By curiosity is there any flagship from other brands that ever got a price tag at 500$?

Posted via CB10
    My Z10 on TMO in the US was $530 on the day of release. It would be great to see the Passport under $600.
    07-31-14 07:01 PM

Posted via CB10
    Nexus 5 is $350, though a tad dated now, that's the price it launched with. The LG G3 is ~$600 but if the Passport had the same price or more, I'd go with the G3, and I'd do it angrily too because I actually want a Passport. The thing is that they should be able to go lower now that they're using foxconn. Though I'm not sure if foxconn is making the Passport or not, BlackBerry's do not hold their value as well as other devices. That's a big thing for someone like me who always pays full price.
    Damatrix02, BroncoVAL and Mo Cat like this.
    07-31-14 07:03 PM
    My Z10 on TMO in the US was $530 on the day of release. It would be great to see the Passport under $600.
    wow that's a good price!
    My girlfriend bought it in italy soon after the launch for 600 and something euro in a vodafone store (yes...600 Euro=810$)
    07-31-14 07:24 PM
    That price really isn't bad Imo. You are getting a high quality device for that price. The z30 is still $400 dollars and it is considered a older phone. But, I also agree that BlackBerry phones don't hold value well at all. That is a big let down to me as well. But, it's only money and you can't take it with you.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-14 07:26 PM
    Nexus 5 is $350, though a tad dated now, that's the price it launched with. The LG G3 is ~$600 but if the Passport had the same price or more, I'd go with the G3, and I'd do it angrily too because I actually want a Passport. The thing is that they should be able to go lower now that they're using foxconn. Though I'm not sure if foxconn is making the Passport or not, BlackBerry's do not hold their value as well as other devices. That's a big thing for someone like me who always pays full price.
    I forgot about the Nexus 5, great phone by the way and even if it will be 1 year old in September-October it's still a good phone.
    But Nexus line is special in that sense it's a Google strategy to give a good line of devices at a very little price (they don't make any money on it)
    Personally i couldn't get used to Android so i haven't the same alternative as you have, and for the first time i am ready to spend even 600 Euro on a phone (because i love my Q10 and from day one i just waited for a bigger one).
    For the Passport i don't remember where but i'm pretty sure that i read it wasn't made by Foxconn, there was even at that time some preoccupation about the price because of that fact.
    Maybe you could always wait some weeks/months and try a second hand Passport, i always had good experiences with ebayers (especially from UK, as they have some Blackberry culture over there)
    07-31-14 07:32 PM
    Well that pricing would be just under $600 US, which (absurdly) the world is still using as its main currency of exchange. I feel that's fair, given the specs. Sometimes when I hear people on CB complaining about Blackberry's pricing, I feel it's a little misguided - especially now when the main buyer of these phones can afford the price. Am I wrong about this? You or I, consumers, might not like the initial price tag (and that's all it is - a launch price. It always falls, and fast, too); but a large company or law firm, ostensibly, is less concerned here, if they've decided that BB offers the right package of value for them otherwise, aka in security, etc. I think a solid effort was made with Z3, and it would be nice if it was even less. But when it comes to their premium devices, I think at this point pricing is not the issue, comparatively speaking to what the issues are right now.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-14 07:33 PM
    Well that pricing would be just under $600 US, which (absurdly) the world is still using as its main currency of exchange. I feel that's fair, given the specs. Sometimes when I hear people on CB complaining about Blackberry's pricing, I feel it's a little misguided - especially now when the main buyer of these phones can afford the price. Am I wrong about this? You or I, consumers, might not like the initial price tag (and that's all it is - a launch price. It always falls, and fast, too); but a large company or law firm, ostensibly, is less concerned here, if they've decided that BB offers the right package of value for them otherwise, aka in security, etc. I think a solid effort was made with Z3, and it would be nice if it was even less. But when it comes to their premium devices, I think at this point pricing is not the issue, comparatively speaking to what the issues are right now.

Posted via CB10
    maybe the niche market can afford it, but sincerely tag price for a Z/Q10 here in Italy were outrageous!
    I know some people that would have bought it if reasonably priced, and it never hurts to have a sound price strategy (but marketing is really deficient at Blackberry).
    A price between 500-600$ would be very aggressive, even too much as Mr. Chen already said he expected making money on the hardware (and Google doesn't make a dollar on their Nexus line)
    I still believe it will be around 649$ minimum (and i would happily pay around 550-600 Euro for such a device)
    07-31-14 07:44 PM
    Google doesn't make a dollar on their Nexus line
    Google doesn't make the nexus phones. Their hardware partners like Samsung, LG, Motorola, etc. do.

BlackBerry, unlike those previously mentioned, can't produce a high-end, high spec phone for $199. My best guess (and it shall remain a guess until BlackBerry themselves release the phone and the actual pricing is known) is that the Passport will be anywhere from $600 USD to $800 USD off contract depending on carrier pricing and location; and $299 on contract. 6 months later it'll be priced much lower though, my guess $350 USD to $400 USD.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-14 07:55 PM
    Google doesn't make the nexus phones. Their hardware partners like Samsung, LG, Motorola, etc. do.

BlackBerry, unlike those previously mentioned, can't produce a high-end, high spec phone for $199. My best guess (and it shall remain a guess until BlackBerry themselves release the phone and the actual pricing is known) is that the Passport will be anywhere from $600 USD to $800 USD off contract depending on carrier pricing and location; and $299 on contract. 6 months later it'll be priced much lower though, my guess $350 USD to $400 USD.

Posted via CB10
    if you're right, the phone will be a flop by all metrics.
    07-31-14 07:56 PM
    Hopefully AT&T delays (indefinitely) their launch, eager AT&T users jump the gun and buy Verizon models, BlackBerry then starts selling unlocked GSM models that are slightly more compatible with AT&T, and I get to buy a barely used Verizon Passport for $350!

Posted via CB10
    07-31-14 08:00 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yes i know Google doesn't make the phone but as i intended it they co-develop it with the partner of the moment and my guess is they pay a certain amount of money for it and don't make a dollar they just gain market share with Android on a certain top level market
    (and the manufacturer may do some money but not a lot, and i think they may act as a wholesaler: they know they can do it for 200-300$ and Google finance the whole while Samsung/LG etc. take the difference on the market, so few bucks but they bring their know-how and production lines)
    But maybe i'm wrong?
    07-31-14 08:07 PM
    Google subsidizes the Nexus line, in that they're a large (the largest?) buyer of Nexus devices, which they then sell to people from the Google Play store. If you compare the Nexus devices' prices at the carriers vs. Google Play, the former's prices are higher because they follow the usual model they do for all other devices--buy from manufacturer, and sell to customer at/around MSRP (certainly not at GP-level discounts.)

BlackBerry doesn't quite have that luxury, or a benefactor subsidizing their devices.
    BroncoVAL likes this.
    07-31-14 08:15 PM
    I think Passport will be over $600 CAD, I paid for my Q10 for around $650CAD + tax from Koodo without a contract a month after the release.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-14 09:21 PM
152 123 ...