So I've been following the Passport since it was first announced and am very impressed with how the keyboard doubles at a trackpad for some functions.

I am a trackpad maniac (9930 hold-out, of course), and REALLY prefer using it over actually tapping icons on the screen.

I had an idea: what if the trackpad function of the Passport worked more than just the ability to quickly type a word and scroll through text? What if you could use the touch-pad function as an actual trackpad to select apps and such; use it as a full-fledged, OS spanning selection device trackpad like in the 9930? Maybe you could use the bottom four buttons in the corners to move around and actually click them to select things (or something like that)? Just an idea. Just a function that I personally would dig if it existed.

I love my 9930, and love the idea of the Classic. But the Passport seems so bold (no pun intended) that if it had the full trackpad functionality via the keyboard, that it would be a no-brainer buy over the Classic (at least for me).
    07-31-14 02:03 AM
    The touch keyboard functions are limitless. They can set it to just scroll, or highlight apps or even make it gesture sensitive. Multi touch is also possible. It will just depend on BlackBerrys implementation.

BBQ10
    07-31-14 02:14 AM
    The touch keyboard functions are limitless. They can set it to just scroll, or highlight apps or even make it gesture sensitive. Multi touch is also possible. It will just depend on BlackBerrys implementation.

BBQ10
    This would be AMAZING! I was thinking how cool would it be to function like and actual track pad on a laptop allowing to scroll, highlight an app, email message or text message and with a tap open it up!!

Posted via CB10
    07-31-14 02:39 AM
    Even the limited function of the touch sensitive keypad demonstrated in the recent video is extremely enticing. While I think it is a worthy competitor to the other larger devices elbowing out the tablet market, I worry about the dimensions and functionality of the phone as a "phone" and how usable it is in one hand. Also, I can't fathom sticking that huge square in a pocket like my q10.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-14 06:21 AM
    Thats an awesome idea OP. Navigating the OS is one of my favorite aspects of the trackpad. Like others have said, the possibiliities are limitless with the touch keyboard. Multitouch gestures a la laptop trackpads would be unreal. Truly would become a tiny super-mobile laptop.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-14 03:52 AM
    How about allowing the keyboard to become a gaming console, e.g. allow the user to program keys, say to play minecraft.
    Or have some apps to configure the keyboard for the game or app of your choice.

Posted via the amazing Z30
    08-01-14 12:28 PM
    Even the limited function of the touch sensitive keypad demonstrated in the recent video is extremely enticing. While I think it is a worthy competitor to the other larger devices elbowing out the tablet market, I worry about the dimensions and functionality of the phone as a "phone" and how usable it is in one hand. Also, I can't fathom sticking that huge square in a pocket like my q10.

Posted via CB10
    I think if the keyboard is implemented like the OP suggests, the phone would be a lot more usable as a "phone." I'm really excited for this device, but had similar worries - my hands are relatively big, but it seems like it's still impossible to reach the top left icon (comfortably) with one hand. If the keyboard doubles as a trackpad, however, that would solve that issue, for sure.

I've always loved the idea of a touchscreen/trackpad combo - I LOVED my 9930. I think that a lot of times, a touch screen is really just annoying and inefficient, so the option is great. I'm definitely onboard with how the Passport is shaping up.
    08-01-14 12:55 PM