So... I recently acquired this beautiful Verizon-branded but unlocked BB Z30. I had a cheap consumer cellular plan going, along with a sim card that I decided to stick in. So the rest of this post is for anyone having problems or considering getting a consumer cellular plan for their Z30 (and I assume z10 as well).

Voice worked right off the bat, and then I bought a data plan and they sent an email with "configuration settings" (port number, address etc.) And they have you changing these settings within the text options. Now this is important, under network settings there is an APN button, and THAT Is where you are going to want to put in the APN You are given (probably "att.mvno"). The APN is actually Locked in the text settings, so good luck changing that.

So what I ended up with was getting a solid HSPA connection, and through that Data working fine, along with texting and calling. Now if you get this far, stop and take a breath, that is the best you will get (here is when I made a bunch of calls and changed a bunch of settings and ended up back where I started after realizing it's the best I can do). What WONT work is LTE, and mms (picture texts). I called about six times, and talked to 8 different people, and the best they can really do is do some sort of "reset" from their end (very effective for what it is though) . Also apparently there is some sort of switch they can do from 3g to 4g... if they try to make it 4g LTE it completely messes things up so please don't...

So there you have it. It's a pretty hard blow to loose mms and I might switch carriers soon, but maybe you don't mind as much (and you can of course send emails with pics attached). And all the phone reps I talked to, while mostly unhelpful, were very friendly. Thanks for reading, hopefully this is helpful and comment if you have any questions!

TL;DR: If you use Consumer cellular, you get a +HSPA connection (or lower) with text, calling and data. You don't get 4g LTE or mms though.
    Last edited by ethansight; 07-31-14 at 11:53 AM.
    07-31-14 01:39 AM
    Thanks for posting. Helpful to know.
    08-03-14 09:33 AM
    I think there is a way to get MMS working, but not LTE.

Posted via CB10 on my unlocked STA100-5 Z30
    08-30-14 03:31 PM
    wow, if you have any ideas let me know... my problem might be that I have the Verizon model of the z30
    08-30-14 08:28 PM
    I'm going to do a little testing in the next few days & will let you know.

Posted by CB10 on my VZW Q10
    08-30-14 08:53 PM
    Hey jhanks and ethansight - Did either of you figure this out? I am considering going to Consumer Cellular with an unlocked AT&T Q10. Currently with T-Mobile, but live in a rural area where there is better coverage with AT&T towers. I would definitely be interested in knowing whether MMS can be sent with CC service, and whether LTE works.
    09-30-14 06:13 PM
    I am not sure when it comes to AT&T. Consumer Cellular piggy-backs off of AT&T's service as I am sure you know, my phone personally is locked with verizon's api number (I believe that is what it was) so that could be the problem I am having personally. I mean you won't get really any help from them, if you call their costumer service they are basically pretty clueless when it comes to blackberries - just a forewarning (Basically "oh... we have always had a lot of problems with blackberries. Wait data actually works for you?!" type of stuff). Loving the price for sure, but I might not plan on Consumer unless you are able to return easily if it doesn't work out or have a different AT&T fallback plan.

(And PS: Pictures and read notifications work perfectly fine in BBM)
    09-30-14 06:23 PM
    Thanks, ethansight... this helps a lot! I will see if I can make the switch with a backup plan of going back to T-Mobile if it doesn't work out. Fortunately, both CC and TMo have no contract plans.
    10-01-14 09:47 AM
    Sorry, have been very busy and not had time.
    10-02-14 12:36 AM
    Previously I discussed using a Passport on Consumer Cellular. It works great except for MMS. I have two Passports on an account with them. Data is LTE, Voice is great, SMS is fine. MMS now works, although pictures are delayed sometimes.

I just tested MMS a few minutes ago with OS ClassicSQC100-3/10.3.1.2726 on VZW with my passport running 10.3.2.500 on my Passport and it worked fine. A newer OS fixes it, not sure which version fixed it.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-15 01:23 AM
    FYI, in some locations, Consumer Cellular is using T-Mobile. Ugh

Posted via CB10
    05-01-15 01:24 AM
    FYI, in some locations, Consumer Cellular is using T-Mobile. Ugh
    True, Consumer Cellular uses both AT&T and T-Mobile systems but as I had clarified with their customer service (the best cell CS I have ever experienced) they send out two different SIMS. One works on AT&T and the other on T-Mo. Your phone won't be switching back and forth.
    Last edited by PapaGary; 07-26-15 at 10:29 PM.
    07-19-15 11:23 PM
    Update-

After a month and a half on Consumer Cellular with her Blackberry Curve 9315 (T-Mobile) my wife is thrilled. She is able to talk, text w/pictures and access the web. The fact that we are saving $50 a month since switching from T-Mobile thrills me.
    09-03-15 11:45 AM
    Update-

After a month and a half on Consumer Cellular with her Blackberry Curve 9315 (T-Mobile) my wife is thrilled. She is able to talk, text w/pictures and access the web. The fact that we are saving $50 a month since switching from T-Mobile thrills me.
    I just tried to put an AT&T Bold 9900 on Consumer Cellular, and all that it will do is talk and text. CC says there is no way to get data or send pictures.
    09-10-15 12:02 PM
    I just tried to put an AT&T Bold 9900 on Consumer Cellular, and all that it will do is talk and text. CC says there is no way to get data or send pictures.
    They are wrong:
    Options>Device>Advanced System Settings>TCP IP>APN Settings Enabled: (check), APN: att.mvno, APN Authentication: Enabled (checked):

Opera Mini was downloaded via WiFi for internet access.

Edit- As Consumer Cellular has SIMs for both AT&T and T-Mobile I requested a T-Mobile SIM for my wife's Curve. It is not SIM unlocked.
    Last edited by PapaGary; 09-11-15 at 08:04 AM.
    09-11-15 07:50 AM
    They are wrong:
    Options>Device>Advanced System Settings>TCP IP>APN Settings Enabled: (check), APN: att.mvno, APN Authentication: Enabled (checked):

Opera Mini was downloaded via WiFi for internet access.

Edit- As Consumer Cellular has SIMs for both AT&T and T-Mobile I requested a T-Mobile SIM for my wife's Curve. It is not SIM unlocked.
    I just tried it, and now I can get internet over wi-fi, but no mms or email.
    09-11-15 01:32 PM
    I just tried it, and now I can get internet over wi-fi, but no mms or email.
    Tried what?

Which SIM did you get from Consumer Cellular? If the SIM ID starts with 890126 it's for T-Mobile, AT&T SIM IDs start with 890141.

Be aware that you will not have the Blackberry specific data plan to browse the web using the BB browser, synch email and have access to RIM AppWorld.
    Last edited by PapaGary; 09-12-15 at 04:36 PM.
    09-12-15 04:00 PM
    Tried what?

Which SIM did you get from Consumer Cellular? If the SIM ID starts with 890126 it's for T-Mobile, AT&T SIM IDs start with 890141.

Be aware that you will not have the Blackberry specific data plan to browse the web using the BB browser, synch email and have access to RIM AppWorld.
    Yeah, if I can't have email then it is useless to me.
    09-13-15 09:14 PM
    Yeah, if I can't have email then it is useless to me.
    Me too. That's why I have a Moto X. The wife doesn't care about email on her Curve with its small display.
    09-13-15 11:45 PM
    It's the same with PureTalk USA. You are limited to only the att.mvno APN. The 'phone' APN setting does not work. These settings are effectively locked by the carrier which doesn't allow for MMS transmittal or LTE. If you remove the SIM card you are able to add the MMS settings, but when the providers SIM is reinstalled, you are back to square one.

I don't need LTE but having the ability to directly send someone MMS would be nice. There's always email.
    09-14-15 02:09 PM
    My wife's BB Curve as described above can both send and receive texts with pictures on Consumer Cellular. MMS?
    09-14-15 05:20 PM
    Multimedia Messaging Service. A common way to send pictures, video, voice etc.
    09-14-15 09:16 PM
    I was responding to this:

I don't need LTE but having the ability to directly send someone MMS would be nice.
    Multimedia Messaging Service. A common way to send pictures, video, voice etc.
    Yep, and it works on my wife's Curve on Consumer Cellular
    09-14-15 09:50 PM
    Which brings up a new question. Can a T-mobile sim card be used on a AT&T mvno and would it allow someone to edit the MMS APN's which are normally locked out?

Posted via CB10
    09-14-15 10:12 PM
    Which brings up a new question. Can a T-mobile sim card be used on a AT&T mvno and would it allow someone to edit the MMS APN's which are normally locked out?
    If you mean a SIM from T-Mobile then I would have to say probably not. If you are talking about a T-Moble SIM from Consumer Cellular then yes, it works in my wife's Blackberry Curve which is what I have been trying to say above.
    09-14-15 10:41 PM
31 12