Supposedly by IDC, BlackBerry takes .5% of the market. Is IDC a trusted source or should I look somewhere else?

Posted via CB10
    07-30-14 12:38 PM
    I'm not familiar... Have a link?

I will say that there area number of metrics that can be used to indicate market share, such as current active devices or particular new device sales over a particular period. And then you have to look at which market is being represented in the figures as well.
    07-30-14 12:49 PM
    I'm not familiar... Have a link?

I will say that there area number of metrics that can be used to indicate market share, such as current active devices or particular new device sales over a particular period. And then you have to look at which market is being represented in the figures as well.
    http://www.idc.com/prodserv/smartpho...rket-share.jsp

Posted via CB10
    07-30-14 01:02 PM
    IDC is one of the more trustworthy sites....

Remember this is shipments - or sales of new devices. Doesn't account for existing devices still in use.

Don't see a listed margin for error - but I imagine 2%- 3% one way or the other could be expected.

Also they don't count every actual device moved, this is a from of "checks", some data - research and analysis (sometimes they guess). But they are known for being pretty good guessers.

Attachment 287888
    Last edited by Dunt Dunt Dunt; 07-30-14 at 01:31 PM.
    techvisor likes this.
    07-30-14 01:16 PM
    IDC is one of the more trustworthy sites....

Remember this is shipments - or sales of new devices. Doesn't account for existing devices still in use.

Don't see a listed margin for error - but I imagine 2%- 3% one way or the other could be expected.

Also they don't count every actual device moved, this is a from of "checks", some data - research and analysis (sometimes they guess). But they are known for being pretty good guessers.

Attachment 287888
    Alright, Thanks. Wow, Android is dominating in the smartphone market!

Posted via CB10
    07-30-14 01:42 PM
    Supposedly by IDC, BlackBerry takes .5% of the market. Is IDC a trusted source or should I look somewhere else?
    It's reliable, but just understand what it's measuring which is BlackBerry's percentage of new device shipments during a specific time period. I often see people (including journalists) mistake this for the number of people using a BlackBerry, just as I see internet traffic reflected as shipments and/or the number of devices shipped in a time period.

"Marketshare" is often treated as a generic catch all for any of these things without further explanation.
    spike12 likes this.
    07-30-14 02:22 PM
    IDC is one of the more reliable sources out there. And even by my own observations using public transportation every day (in Europe) I see maybe 1 BB10 device per month.

It's quite surprising as I see 2-3 Nexus 5 phones every week (as the Nexus phone line is another brand with very little marketing).
    07-31-14 04:37 AM
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Chen said he disregards those figures because they don't include "corporate" sales. Only consumer ones?

Posted via CB10
    07-31-14 08:17 AM
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Chen said he disregards those figures because they don't include "corporate" sales. Only consumer ones?

Posted via CB10
    It's very possible that some of those sale don't get counted as "some" of them might not go through the same "check" points.

But the corporate world is buying Androids and Apple devices this way also.... and Apple is the clear leader in sales of devices to the corporate world, so percentage wise it's probable still about the same overall. Most all of BlackBerry claims of being the leader in business is centered around BES and companies that have MDM systems in place.
    07-31-14 11:51 AM
    Even if true, do note that also available to us are the total number of Blackberry devices sold that is released in every quarterly report, which remains a fraction of that of Windows Phone's numbers that we may use as a reference point.

So, comparing Windows Phone's numbers and IDC marketshare, even if IDC discounted enterprise the actual Blackberry marketshare would likely still hover in the low single digits well within IDC's margin of error. Don't expect a windfall like marketshare to go from 0.5% to 5%. It's relatively safe to say that it is <2%.
    07-31-14 12:01 PM
    It's reliable, but just understand what it's measuring which is BlackBerry's percentage of new device shipments during a specific time period. I often see people (including journalists) mistake this for the number of people using a BlackBerry, just as I see internet traffic reflected as shipments and/or the number of devices shipped in a time period.

"Marketshare" is often treated as a generic catch all for any of these things without further explanation.
    The term for "number of devices in use" is "Installed Base." Marketshare is always about SALES, even though this isn't always understood, and thus the term is occasionally misused.

But marketshare is what the financial world cares about when it comes to hardware products - you only make money on the hardware the day you sell it, and so installed base doesn't matter to them - they can't go back in time and make any money off of past device sales.

It's different with a service that creates, or has potential to generate, service revenues. Then, installed base, or "active monthly users" becomes very important. That would also be important to, say, software developers looking at platforms. Of course, marketshare is an excellent leading indicator of what the installed base will look like in the near future.
    07-31-14 07:14 PM
    The term for "number of devices in use" is "Installed Base." Marketshare is always about SALES, even though this isn't always understood, and thus the term is occasionally misused.

But marketshare is what the financial world cares about when it comes to hardware products - you only make money on the hardware the day you sell it, and so installed base doesn't matter to them - they can't go back in time and make any money off of past device sales.

It's different with a service that creates, or has potential to generate, service revenues. Then, installed base, or "active monthly users" becomes very important. That would also be important to, say, software developers looking at platforms. Of course, marketshare is an excellent leading indicator of what the installed base will look like in the near future.
    I think BlackBerry is the only one that see much benefit from the sales of older BBOS devices.... as long as some are willing to buy an older (new or used) BBOS device, it's a win for BlackBerry on the Service Revenues front. And I think BBOS is one reason that in many developing markets the life cycle of a BB is much longer than other devices. And thus why they are still making so much in Service Revenues and why their Install Base is still pretty high for a company that isn't sell many new devices.

Unfortunately at some point that is going to collapse if they can't increase their new device sells.
    08-04-14 08:58 AM
    Yep. I know. And it is often misunderstood by journalists. I've even seen a few tech writers refer to BlackBerry's marketshare and then use some web traffic source as their evidence. Even seen competitors use it ... Microsoft claimed some time ago that they were "the third largest ecosystem" on the basis of their marketshare in a particular quarter finally passing BlackBerrys. Even though at the time the number of BlackBerry OS devices in use to Windows Phones in use was substantially higher, that didn't stop Microsoft from twisting the number, nor several journalists who should know better from reporting this. They mixed installed base and quarterly sales.
    08-05-14 08:04 PM
    IDC is definitely reliable.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    08-05-14 10:11 PM