I've had my Z10 for almost a year and the battery has been subpar to say the least. My reception at home is also spotty which I am sure has taken its toll on the battery as well. Typically I only get 6 hours off a full charge, and that's if I'm lucky.

Today I decided my phone case that I've had on my Z10 from the first day, which was beat up and cracked, was overdue for the garbage bin.

After taking off my Incipio case, both my reception (number of bars) at home and battery life have been great. Right now I am going on 12 and a half hours and I still have 52% left. I've been using my phone a fair bit today... granted not nearly as heavy as I normally do. But comparing it to a day like today I wouldn't have made it this far.

I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced what I have.
    07-29-14 11:47 PM
    Does that case have any metal elements on it?

Used my z10 for several months without a case then when the BlackBerry transform shell was on discount for �4 I bought it. No difference in battery life or reception.
    07-29-14 11:51 PM
    Does that case have any metal elements on it?

Used my z10 for several months without a case then when the BlackBerry transform shell was on discount for �4 I bought it. No difference in battery life or reception.
    Not that I am aware of.... Its plastic and had some sort of really thin coating to make it look like aluminum. All I know if that when I took it off it was like having a new phone.
    07-29-14 11:53 PM
    I never really experienced that while using my.z10, I had a dual shine pro and in black too.

Investing though, keep us posted

Posted Pantlessly via My Kick @ss Z30!!!
    07-29-14 11:55 PM
    Not that I am aware of.... Its plastic and had some sort of really thin coating to make it look like aluminum. All I know if that when I took it off it was like having a new phone.
    Agreed! Gave my son my z10 after owning for a year and it was mint...still is as I bought him a new incipio for it.

07-29-14 11:56 PM
    I never really experienced that whole using my.z10, I had a dual shine pro and in black too.

Investing though, keep us posted

Will do. Been running WhatsApp all day, chatting with friends. A few calls. Using the internet and CB app as well as my banking app and the battery is running strong.
    Your Z10 wanted to break........

from its shell.
    Carjackd and robert_in_la like this.
    Has to do with heat retention imho. I quickly removed my case when I had my z10 because I noticed how fast battery declined and knowing the z10s heat issues I assumed it was why

Posted via CB10
    07-30-14 01:21 AM
    Interesting. I haven't experienced any issue with my Z10 getting warm.

Now the Lumia 920 I use to have would get supper hot when the nav was running, and that battery would drop so fast it was unreal.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-14 01:50 AM
    Put the case back on if you have not discarded it and see what happens? Could the case have been pressing on some component or squeezing the screen causing errant "touch" usage?
    07-30-14 08:28 AM
    Good idea. I'll do that after I charge the battery fully. I've just passed 22 hours and I'm at 18%.

Usually the reception in my room hoover between 0-2/3 bars. Since removing the case I've been 4 bars with an occasional drop to 3.

Just a note, I've always kept my NFC off and my LTE on.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    07-30-14 09:33 AM
    Good idea. I'll do that after I charge the battery fully. I've just passed 22 hours and I'm at 18%.

Usually the reception in my room hoover between 0-2/3 bars. Since removing the case I've been 4 bars with an occasional drop to 3.

Just a note, I've always kept my NFC off and my LTE on.

Posted via CB10
    I leave NFC on, Bluetooth on, LTE on and WIFI on and at home my battery routinely lasts all day with charge to spare. I have decent reception here. When I travel, I am out of the country or on a ship and it will drain quicker since it has to search for signal or has poor signal.
    07-30-14 12:48 PM
    Put the case back on and the reception did drop and the batter of course has dropped quicker.
    07-30-14 05:47 PM
    Do you only have 1 case to test?

Posted via CB10
    07-30-14 05:49 PM
    Do you only have 1 case to test?

Posted via CB10
    Yes... I've order a new felt type case made of merino wool. I won't receive the sleeve until next week.
    07-30-14 06:13 PM
    Put the case back on and the reception did drop and the batter of course has dropped quicker.
    Ben Franklin and Edison would be proud. But seriously, interesting discovery.

Since you were going to throw it away, maybe in the name of science, dissect it (not the z10!!!) and see if there's some metal foil or sheet or..... inside.
    07-30-14 06:27 PM
    Ben Franklin and Edison would be proud. But seriously, interesting discovery.

Since you were going to throw it away, maybe in the name of science, dissect it (not the z10!!!) and see if there's some metal foil or sheet or..... inside.
    Basically its a very thin filament that cover a blackish-grey plastic. When I pull on the filament it crumbles...
    07-30-14 06:46 PM
    Yes... I've order a new felt type case made of merino wool. I won't receive the sleeve until next week.
    Where did you find a case made from merino wool?
    07-31-14 10:26 AM
    Actually there's a lot - mostly from Germany and Italy.

The company I order from is out Hamburg Germany - all hand made. Even the leather on it is vegetable oil tanned.

I'll post a picture in a few mins.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-14 12:32 PM
    Here's photo of the one I got - I picked the grey one as I my laptop sleeve is similar to the dark grey (but with reddish/brown leather) and I wanted to do something different.

The quality of the products is fantastic and the thing I like is that its all hand made in a small 40 man company as the cost of their products are similar, and in some cases, cheaper than the mass produced OEM and stuff you find in local retailers.

They do custom made, they can do different colors and they even will send samples upon request.

My battery... what the heck?-il_570xn.497772280_c4cy.jpgMy battery... what the heck?-il_570xn.497832181_p3ql.jpgMy battery... what the heck?-il_570xn.497832195_78og.jpg

The also make versions that are full leather and ones that have no leather or pockets.

My battery... what the heck?-il_570xn.447347508_n1ow.jpgMy battery... what the heck?-il_570xn.492738486_54u5.jpg

Then this company is out of Bologna Italy (they also do full leather sleeve that are really nice):

My battery... what the heck?-il_170x135.578968977_orj3.jpgMy battery... what the heck?-il_170x135.614071000_24xy.jpg

Both companies only use 100% merino wool, natural leather that if dyed is done with vegetable oil.

You can google Pack & Smooch and check out their website. Also check out Etsy and do a search under handmade.

Lately I've only bought hand made products from designers in the U.S., Canada, Germany, Italy and Easter Europe... all of which is great quality and I like the fact that that I am buying direct from owners of small business who also make and design the products they sell.
    07-31-14 02:00 PM
    Broohhh, your earphones look fancy!

Posted via CB10
    07-31-14 05:50 PM
    Stock pic.. my earphones are fancy Bose!!

Posted via CB10
    07-31-14 07:53 PM
    Just an update... being using my Z10 moderately to heavy today and my battery is at 62% after 6.5 hours. Still way better ever since I removed the phone case.
    Last edited by robert_in_la; 08-01-14 at 11:22 AM. Reason: typo
    FF22 likes this.
    07-31-14 10:18 PM
    Just an update... being using my Z10 moderately to heavy today and my batter is at 62% after 6.5 hours. Still way better ever since I removed the phone case.
    Quite remarkable. Well, wool batting is used to create static electricity. Maybe there's something in the wool that insulates against radio waves or maybe generates some electrostatic charge that interferes.
    08-01-14 12:50 AM
    Time to report to BlackBerry R&D?

Posted via CB10
    08-01-14 01:56 AM
33 12