Chen: Prefer to Build Value at BlackBerry

Apparently no offers on the table to buy BlackBerry. Chen gives the company a better than 80/20 chance to build value. He sounds more and more positive. Hopefully it isn't window dressing.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-14 11:49 AM
    passport will be the game changer, for blackberry
    07-28-14 11:53 AM
    BES12 will be the game changer.... Passport is an experiment at best, and the Classic is a classic. Both are made for the BlackBerry fan base, and neither fixes the reasons that consumers are not buying BB10 devices.

But if enterprise adopts BES12 that should change everything for BlackBerry. Those enterprise customers will need BB10 devices as their BBOS devices go bad, they may even decide they need to go ahead and start replacing them in mass.

But sadly his 80/20 is coming from the same statics guy that told him 98% of Android Apps work.....
    07-28-14 12:06 PM
    Can someone explain to me what the highlights will be surrounding BES12 compared to BES10?

Posted via CB10
    07-28-14 01:42 PM
    Scalemaster 34 is right. The first round of BB10 devices (Z10, Q10, Z30) are widely known now as a business failure for Blackberry. The Classic and Passport are really to help keep a blackberry in the pockets of Blackberry faithful and to possibly get back some of the consumer base they have lost over the last couple of years. The Classic and Passport are not Blackberry's full on assault against the likes of Apple, Samsung, and others.

As far as the 80/20 and whatever else, who knows. Chen has said that his responsibility as CEO is to the shareholders and investors, and ultimately that means building value into the Blackberry name (value that seriously eroded as we all know). Maybe Blackberry will build enough value and then be sold if offers come in. I don't think Chen's overall goal is to make Blackberry what it used to be or to keep Blackberry an independent company for the sake of being an independent company.
    07-28-14 03:04 PM
    Did they put a for sale sign up again?

Seems BBRY would be wise to push BES and make it the best MDM for any platform. And if their phones continue to have small sales get out of the handset business all together.
    gokulesh and JeepBB like this.
    07-28-14 03:25 PM

Seems BBRY would be wise to push BES and make it the best MDM for any platform. And if their phones continue to have small sales get out of the handset business all together.
    No they didn't. Cnbc reporter asked chen if had any offers. He said talks are not offers.

They are focused on building the company but he is going to talk if someone calls. All he is saying talks are not offers and he doesn't have one on the table. Looked pretty relaxed and calm to me.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-14 03:42 PM
    Price is right, any company will sell. You offer Apple enough and shareholders would sell in a heart beat. Of course with Apple enough might be five times the current value.

Seems BBRY would be wise to push BES
    They have been....

and make it the best MDM for any platform.
    Pretty sure everyone thinks that it is... the issues were pricing, reliability, and compatibility with other devices. I know they have reduced pricing, with BES12 they are suppose to have BBOS and Windows compatibility (at some point).... big issue is will BlackBerry be there in 12 months if a company invest thousands of dollars (millions in many cases)? Thus Chen trying to calm their concerns with the 80/20 remark.

And if their phones continue to have small sales get out of the handset business all together.
    Was Chen's first taught, but after looking at numbers.... do companies buy BES for non BlackBerry devices in large enough numbers? How much of Services is BIS fees?
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-28-14 03:59 PM
    passport will be the game changer, for blackberry
    Not even close.

Limited appeal. Will get bad reviews from consumers blogs etc.

I just don't see it happening with this phone.

Using a BlackBerry Z10! The "UnDroid"!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-28-14 05:43 PM
    Not even close.

Limited appeal. Will get bad reviews from consumers blogs etc.

I just don't see it happening with this phone.

Although I don't think it will be a game changer nor the salvation of BlackBerry, it seems to offer enough specs to make it an interesting option for folks. Why do you think it will get poor reviews?

Posted via CB10
    07-28-14 06:42 PM
    Although I don't think it will be a game changer nor the salvation of BlackBerry, it seems to offer enough specs to make it an interesting option for folks. Why do you think it will get poor reviews?

Posted via CB10
    With or without Amazon, the ecosystem will be a point of contention.

There's enough dissent amongst BBRY faithful that I'm inclined to think the buying public might be disinclined to try something that different (with regards to the Passport).

I feel the device could be a decent hit if it had a competitive ecosystem.
    07-28-14 09:41 PM

Posted via CB10
    Note I said bad reviews from consumers blogs etc. The consumer cell phone world contains more multi-media options and performance. Moves/videos will be small. Not made for this nor was it intended for media.

A communications/collaboration tool for Enterprise. Might have specific apps for medical realm use.

07-30-14 10:12 AM
    BES12 will be the game changer.... Passport is an experiment at best, and the Classic is a classic. Both are made for the BlackBerry fan base, and neither fixes the reasons that consumers are not buying BB10 devices.

But if enterprise adopts BES12 that should change everything for BlackBerry. Those enterprise customers will need BB10 devices as their BBOS devices go bad, they may even decide they need to go ahead and start replacing them in mass.

But sadly his 80/20 is coming from the same statics guy that told him 98% of Android Apps work.....
    And who is to say it's not 98% if it is that means 20000 apps don't work on blackberry 10.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-14 11:31 AM