We've all noticed most of websites do now display a warning regarding cookies that are used to track our behavior. It's a nice regulation evolution, as we now know which sites are using these besides site requirements (ID process for instance).

There's a similar "threat" now, exploiting a new HTML5 feature (new = widely spread, for purists), designed to draw images on the fly.
    Diverted from its original purpose, our web marketing geniuses have set a process that can generate an unique fingerprint-like image for your computer and then track any usage you (! or anyone using your computer !) have. (read more about it here : How companies use Canvas Fingerprinting to track you online - gHacks Tech News )

Some anti-virus or anti-malware are *claiming* to participate making it harder (Pcs) yet, it semms unmanaged on mobile devices.
    As BlackBerry is leading in the mobile security/privacy concerns, I've made a suggestion on the site https://blackberry.icanmakeitbetter.com about it. If you feel this is important; just go and add your suggestions or/and vote for it (direct link under the capture)!

"canvas fingerprint": the new privacy threat-capture.png

https://blackberry.icanmakeitbetter....as-fingerprint
    07-28-14 03:29 AM
    I believe the way around that for BlackBerry was BIS, I remember when I had my curve and tried the "track my pc" sites it always showed an IP adress from Denmark or Switzerland or Mexico and the IP changed every time he switch the phone network on and off..

Posted via CB10 from my Z10STL100-1/10.3.0.700
    07-28-14 03:44 AM
    No, it's not IP dependant. It's different. It's based on your browser and OS settings, like fonts installed, etc. Yes, that deep
    07-28-14 12:50 PM
    The browser just needs to add an extension framework (already on ICMIB) so that we can use extensions which block nasty scripts.
    Might be quicker to switch to using Android apps: Firefox mobile is a better browser for people who care about their privacy online and Orweb (Tor) is a more anonymous browser according to https://panopticlick.eff.org/
    07-29-14 10:37 AM
    The browser just needs to add an extension framework (already on ICMIB) so that we can use extensions which block nasty scripts.
    Might be quicker to switch to using Android apps: Firefox mobile is a better browser for people who care about their privacy online and Orweb (Tor) is a more anonymous browser according to https://panopticlick.eff.org/
    Agreed BB needs to allow approved extensions to the browser. Otherwise for the best security framework in an mobile OS its a blackeye to allow such tracking. Especially since BB users rely on browsers more than other mobile OS due to lack of native apps.
    07-29-14 12:01 PM
    I understand a - partially agree - that we can have add-ons or workarounds to solve that. But blocking the scripts is not universal and long lasting. Updating extensions etc (things I do in a breathe on my desktop) or using a dedicated browser often turns into either a painful process or a large restriction of functionality.

Asking permission to use the canvas (based on the site domain, for instance) is the best way to identify the script source and ban (or grant) it forever, just with one tap, at will. If they can't invoke any canvas method, it's dead. As much as I can tell (and such shortcuts are often too simple to be smart), I'd prefer this low level yet simple approach.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-14 05:54 PM