Serious question. Could somebody actually explain to me what the point of BBM Voice is? I mean isn't it the same as making a phone call? Why wouldn't I just make a regular phone call? Wouldn't that use data then? What are the advantages / disadvantages, I feel like I'm missing something here. Thanks!

Posted via CB10 for Q10
    07-27-14 12:27 PM
    Using BlackBerry voice makes call using your Internet data. So if you are using unlimited plans or high usage plans you are making calls for free

Z10STL100-1/10.3.0.700
    07-27-14 12:29 PM
    Also if you don't have an international calling plan, then using BBM voice makes sense because it can be used with your wifi or data plan.

Otherwise you would have to buy a calling card or use your non international calling plan from your carrier and your monthly bill will sky rocket..

Posted via CB on my BlackBerry Z30
    07-27-14 12:30 PM
    Serious question. Could somebody actually explain to me what the point of BBM Voice is? I mean isn't it the same as making a phone call? Why wouldn't I just make a regular phone call? Wouldn't that use data then? What are the advantages / disadvantages, I feel like I'm missing something here. Thanks!

Posted via CB10 for Q10
    Call a friend in another continent by phone for 30 minutes, then make a BBM call to the same person if possible for the same 30 minutes. Compare the charges.

Let us know which is cheaper.
    07-27-14 12:31 PM
    You are making a phone call to another BBM contact. It's thru BlackBerry servers and its totally digital, in other words, it's clearer then a reg call. Also, if you do it over Wifi, it's free. Matter of fact, if.you know somebody over seas it's free. I think it's a much better way of.talking than a regular call. And it's secure, did I miss anything?

Posted via CB10
    ThunderShock2005 likes this.
    07-27-14 12:32 PM
    It's perfect for those travel the world and want to stay connected to their friends and family.

Be proud - BlackBerry by Choice
    07-27-14 12:32 PM
    It's the same idea as imessage, or Skype etc.. if you don't have cell signal you can still make a call with bbm. Only difference compared to Skype is your limited to bbm contacts where Skype can call landlines

Posted via CB10
    07-27-14 12:34 PM
    OK Nucks,

Here's ya go.

I was in Turkey last year and wanted to buy a carpet for my son's apartment. But I needed the measurements. I knew there was a nearby coffee shop with really good wifi, so I used bbm voice to call my daughter to see if she could get the measurements. The call lasted 20 minutes and was clear and steady for the entire length of the call. Had I needed to use the cellular system, that call would have cost me over $50.
    07-27-14 03:24 PM
    +++++BBM Voice
    07-27-14 08:34 PM
    I use it to make calls when on the underground in London where I have no cell service at all, but they do have wifi.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-14 08:38 PM
    What is the advantage of BBM Voice versus Skype? I know very few people who use BBM, but seems everyone uses Skype.
    07-27-14 08:50 PM
    From my experience, my brother has a Samsung Note 2 on TMovil, and he traveled a lot during his previous work and he called me from time to time first using wifi calling, then magic jack, then vonage, then we try Skype, we try some others that I don't remember, all calls were choppy and not very good. Then I suggested him BBM with the BBM voice for Android which was released for few month then, he was skeptical and I was actually kind of worry it would not deliver as I expected and not to be equal as native BlackBerry BBM voice. To our surprise it was the best VOIP app we ever used, the sound was great and didn't chop the conversation as the other we tried did. We tested from Mexico, Panama, Brazil, Argentina, Dominican Republic, USA mainland, to Puerto Rico (a USA Colony in the Caribbean , for those who don't know). From that experience I have hooked up some people making BBM voice for their calls to other countries and they all are very greatfull I make them change, it wasn't easy but hearing the voice call difference is believing.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3253 on AT&T
    PatrickMJS, laketrout73 and Elite1 like this.
    07-27-14 09:10 PM
    In the building where I live, I experience poor reception. BBM voice allows me to have phone conversations via wifi with no problems.

Posted via Q10
    PatrickMJS and Elite1 like this.
    07-27-14 09:23 PM
    BBM voice definitely has its merits.

I am wondering...with many airlines now offering in-flight wifi, could something like BBM Voice work during a flight or would it be blocked?

Posted via CB10
    07-27-14 10:09 PM
    I had a friend with limited number of minutes on her monthly plan, so near the end of the month we were using BBM voice!

Sent from CB Forums mobile app
    Elite1 likes this.
    07-27-14 10:14 PM
    unlimited talk time on wifi baby!!
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    07-27-14 10:42 PM
    Fantastic feature. Another one BBRY could try to increase mindshare on.
    Elite1 likes this.
    07-27-14 10:47 PM

I am wondering...with many airlines now offering in-flight wifi, could something like BBM Voice work during a flight or would it be blocked?

Posted via CB10
    I think it would work just great. It would also be very effective for pissing off the other passengers.
    07-27-14 11:52 PM

Posted via CB10
    It might be a good idea for you to double-check with gogo or whoever your internet provider in the sky is. Streaming of video doesn't work - no netflix. So it would be interesting if streaming of audio is allowed. Keep us posted.

Posted via Q10
    07-27-14 11:59 PM
    You should test it out yourself. Never know until you try it.
    07-28-14 12:21 AM
    Uhhh... Considering the new HD Voice crap coming out... You really should try BBM Voice.... It's amazing
    ThunderShock2005 likes this.
    07-28-14 12:34 AM
    It sounds crystal clear. "HD Voice" has got nothing on it. I was instantly surprised as soon as I tried it the first time. I personally love this feature.

Also, you can call across international borders with BBM Voice without having to pay those hefty long distance charges.

Lastly, I believe it is encrypted just as BBM messages, but I'm not entirely sure.

It is limited by your network's speed and quality though. So if your data service is jittery, your signal strength is low, your data transfer speed is slow and if your ping time is exceedingly long, just go with a regular voice call.

Your data plan may also be "limited", so either you'll face extra charges or you're throttled. I still have the grandfathered Unlimited plan and have never exceeded the throttle limit (average of 2-3 GB/month, sometimes less) so I've never had this problem. Also, LTE here in LA in my network is everywhere. Of course, your circumstances may be different.

Posted from my BlackBerry Q10 on AT&T
    07-28-14 12:40 AM

Posted via CB10 for Q10
    Because my son cannot receive regular phone calls on his iPod. We use BBM to chat when he's connected to wifi. He's not getting an iPhone yet.
    Elite1 and ayekon like this.
    07-28-14 12:49 AM
    I tried iPhone for a month... I now have a ban on Apple products in my house...
    07-28-14 01:38 AM
    I tried iPhone for a month... I now have a ban on Apple products in my house...
    They let you return the iPhone after 30 days?

Posted from my BlackBerry Q10 on AT&T
    07-28-14 02:25 PM
43 12