My BlackBerry Q5 turns off randomly once the battery is below 50% at any point (before battery could reach to 20%) and doesn't turn on until I plug in the charger. And when I plug it in to charge, it displays the empty battery (in red with charging symbol). After it turns on battery remains at somewhere between 23-35% (not from 0%) and I end up having a dead phone mid-day everyday. I went and deposited my phone in BB expert center for 2 days (quite unaffordable to live stay disconnected to the web and without emails) after very second day I faced this problem and when I got my phone back I had this issue unresolved and my phone again turned off with 29% battery that evening and this happens everyday. I can not manage to keep the battery level above 50% every time I am out.

Does anyone know the solution to this? I feel like, I shall ask for a replacement device as Q5 has non-removable battery. Any other way?

Thanks,
    Ravi Shankeran
    07-27-14 09:37 AM
    Have you tried reloading another OS?
    07-27-14 01:30 PM
    My BlackBerry Q5 turns off randomly once the battery is below 50% at any point (before battery could reach to 20%) and doesn't turn on until I plug in the charger. And when I plug it in to charge, it displays the empty battery (in red with charging symbol). After it turns on battery remains at somewhere between 23-35% (not from 0%) and I end up having a dead phone mid-day everyday. I went and deposited my phone in BB expert center for 2 days (quite unaffordable to live stay disconnected to the web and without emails) after very second day I faced this problem and when I got my phone back I had this issue unresolved and my phone again turned off with 29% battery that evening and this happens everyday. I can not manage to keep the battery level above 50% every time I am out.

Does anyone know the solution to this? I feel like, I shall ask for a replacement device as Q5 has non-removable battery. Any other way?

Thanks,
    Ravi Shankeran
    When it shuts off for itself try taking out the SIM and SD card and leaving the phone alone for about 2 hours so that any residual power can also drain out and the battery and charging circuits can cool. Then replace SIM and SD and charge with the original BlackBerry charger that came with the device ONLY from now on. If it's working correctly the charging indicator should start from zero when you plug in the charger and you should see the flashing green and yellow led while it's charging. The phone should remain off until it has enough charge.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-14 01:40 PM
    When I visited BB expert center, they simply upgraded the OS to latest one but still the same problem.
    07-27-14 04:12 PM
    Thanks CyberMan I will try this. Anyway I always use the original charge (nothing else) I got with the phone.
    07-27-14 04:13 PM
    Thanks CyberMan I will try this. Anyway I always use the original charge (nothing else) I got with the phone.
    Make sure you're using the original charging cable as well. Your charger could have a defect too. The contacts might need cleaning. It might even be possible that charging from USB ports on a PC whether intentionally charging or just having the phone plugged in while doing other stuff might have a similar effect as using a weak charger on the phone and contribute to battery and charging circuit miscalibration. It shouldn't be a permanent issue though. You might have to repeat the process until your battery health is back up to where it needs to be. Try the "Battery Charger" app to get some additional information as to what's going on under the hood.

Posted via CB10
    Ravi Shankeran likes this.
    09-30-14 05:41 AM
    One of the solutions on another thread (that worked for my friend) was to charge and discharge completely for 3 cycles.

It was a solution given after an upgrade, hopefully it works for you!
    09-30-14 08:09 PM
    I had my handset replaced for the same problem. Thers a free app called BASA in bbworld. It almost accurately indicates ur battery health... if that's below 40... u need a new battery. Jus try that free app m sure it will help

Posted via CB10
    10-06-14 02:17 AM
    One of the solutions on another thread (that worked for my friend) was to charge and discharge completely for 3 cycles.

It was a solution given after an upgrade, hopefully it works for you!
    I tried and my phone is back to normal now. I kept it discharged and drained for 1 hour every time and it was resolved. After first cycle my phone lasted till 20 percent, second cycle made it upto 8 percent and after 4th cycle it was pretty normal till zero percent.

Thanks everyone
    10-06-14 02:30 AM
    I tried and my phone is back to normal now. I kept it discharged and drained for 1 hour every time and it was resolved. After first cycle my phone lasted till 20 percent, second cycle made it upto 8 percent and after 4th cycle it was pretty normal till zero percent.

Thanks everyone
    You're Welcome! Glad you got through!

Posted via CB10
    10-06-14 07:30 AM

Posted via CB10
    10-06-14 09:27 AM
    This problem happen to my friend's z10 too. After sent it to BlackBerry expert centre in penang, malaysia, the problem still not being solved. He had hard enough reload the os.

White z10
    10-06-14 12:33 PM
    This problem happen to my friend's z10 too. After sent it to BlackBerry expert centre in penang, malaysia, the problem still not being solved. He had hard enough reload the os.

White z10
    That can happen to many devices that use rechargeable lithium batteries. It seems to happen relatively easily on Z10-STL100-1 though. Reloading the OS and replacing the phone won't solve it.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 08:36 AM
    That can happen to many devices that use rechargeable lithium batteries. It seems to happen relatively easily on Z10-STL100-1 though. Reloading the OS and replacing the phone won't solve it.

Posted via CB10
    Do you think official os 10.3.1 will fixed this issue?

White z10
    10-07-14 10:30 AM
    Pls how will I drain my battery? I don't understand, pls explain to me in details how you did urs. anticipating a response
    03-19-15 12:58 AM

Thanks everyone
    Pls how will I drain my battery? I don't understand, pls explain to me in details how you did urs. anticipating a response
    03-19-15 12:59 AM
    I had the same problem recently. The phone was returned under warranty and could not be fixed and was replaced.
    03-19-15 12:17 PM
    Keep using your phone unless it's turned off automatically. And if you are also facing the issue with the battery percentage shown in the device, do not charge for an hour or so after the battery is drained.
    Hope that works for you.
    03-19-15 01:37 PM

Thanks everyone
    11-02-15 06:20 PM
    Pls explain to me how to charge and discharge my phone completely
    11-02-15 06:21 PM
    D issue with my BlackBerry q5 is that it completely drains and when I charge it,within one second it shows the green light which indicates battery fully charged.so I turn on the device and it still shows battery full,i unplug the charger,use it for like 3minutes and the phone goes off on its own
    11-02-15 06:41 PM