With so many ways now to message people, so many different platforms, different apps, I wonder why BlackBerry don't go a step further in terms of consolidation in the hub.

Ideally, I should be able to just choose 'New Message', choose the contact, and have BlackBerry offer me a list of platforms that *this user uses* in order of how commonly you have contacted them using it - the enter key defaults to the top item or I just tap to choose.

Because not only does everyone use different platforms, but different people have different preferred platforms.

Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 07:01 PM
    You can click compose. And choose your contact from there.

And select which service to use. So yeah.

Posted via (hopefully) a passport
    07-26-14 08:26 PM
    Actually I cool idea. You might add this to I can make it better.

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.3247
    07-27-14 03:57 AM
    You can click compose. And choose your contact from there.

And select which service to use. So yeah.

Posted via (hopefully) a passport
    Actually it's Compose -> service -> contact. And if I'm following correctly, OP wants contact to come second, then be provided with a prioritized service list. So if you and Sally chat mostly via BBM, BBM comes up as first choice; if Harry prefers SMS, SMS would be first. Think like sharing with apps.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-14 05:34 AM
    Yes, that's it - in order words if I want to contact Sally, I tell BlackBerry I want to contact Sally and it knows how. The amount of times I send BBMs and then later copy and paste into WhatsApp or Viber because I forgot that they don't use it anymore, etc..

Posted via CB10
    07-27-14 05:50 PM
    Kind of what happens when you use the share button, right? Click share, and the os presents recent contact options?

That's cool, but I like the way it is now. I click "c" on my Q10's pkb when I'm in the hub, and there are my options.
    07-27-14 06:03 PM
    No, I don't think you get me. Who you want to message is more important than how, everyone has their preferences to *receive* messages. When you've a lot of contacts, it's a pain to try to remember who prefers which platform, and invariably I end up texting because people don't read IMs because I've sent to Viber and they use WhatsApp or I've sent a BBM and they use Google Chat, etc.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-14 03:58 PM
    No, I don't think you get me. Who you want to message is more important than how, everyone has their preferences to *receive* messages. When you've a lot of contacts, it's a pain to try to remember who prefers which platform, and invariably I end up texting because people don't read IMs because I've sent to Viber and they use WhatsApp or I've sent a BBM and they use Google Chat, etc.

Posted via CB10
    If your recipients are actually that snooty that they won't respond to a message they received just because it wasn't their preferred method then I'm not sure even BlackBerry can help. But if you meant that it's difficult to remember what they use because everyone has different messengers - that I can sympathize with because I occasionally have that issue too, but circumvented by going to the app itself and messaging from there. Like with Kik and Google Chat for instance.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-14 08:29 PM
    Wow..... such negative responses, this is simply a feature idea based on very real things that happen - and no, nothing to do with 'snootiness' or any of the other nonsense mentioned above. People sometimes install IM apps and then remove them again because they don't use them. Or don't bother setting up alerts because they don't use them. Or don't open the app on their phone. Real world guys... not everyone has a blackberry and runs all IM apps like most of us probably do.

Nothing wrong with people doing any of those things. Such negativity...... maybe this is the wrong forum for someone to discuss a BlackBerry idea. Jeez....

Sent a BBM to someone only yesterday, noticed hours later that it didn't show delivered, found out today that they deleted BBM because they didn't use it. They use WhatsApp but their name still appears in Viber, and I may not remember this the next time I go to message them.

Is this truly so difficult to understand?

Posted via CB10
    07-29-14 02:39 PM
    Wow..... such negative responses, this is simply a feature idea based on very real things that happen - and no, nothing to do with 'snootiness' or any of the other nonsense mentioned above. People sometimes install IM apps and then remove them again because they don't use them. Or don't bother setting up alerts because they don't use them. Or don't open the app on their phone. Real world guys... not everyone has a blackberry and runs all IM apps like most of us probably do.

Nothing wrong with people doing any of those things. Such negativity...... maybe this is the wrong forum for someone to discuss a BlackBerry idea. Jeez....

Sent a BBM to someone only yesterday, noticed hours later that it didn't show delivered, found out today that they deleted BBM because they didn't use it. They use WhatsApp but their name still appears in Viber, and I may not remember this the next time I go to message them.

Is this truly so difficult to understand?

Posted via CB10
    I understand you!

It's not something I would necessarily need, but each to their own.

Not for the first time on CB, there are people who have decided that just because THEY don't want a particular feature, that makes YOU weird to want it...
    07-29-14 04:39 PM
    Thanks Snakepitboy - I suppose it's probably a lot to do with the size of a person's contact list, and how often they message people. For me, that's (a) huge (b) a lot, but of course for many this won't be an issue.

Is there a formal place to request a feature request for BB?

Posted via CB10
    07-30-14 02:27 PM
    Thanks Snakepitboy - I suppose it's probably a lot to do with the size of a person's contact list, and how often they message people. For me, that's (a) huge (b) a lot, but of course for many this won't be an issue.

Is there a formal place to request a feature request for BB?

Posted via CB10
    I'm sure there is, but I've never found it.

I've got my own issue with BB10 - the fact you can't delete the auto-complete suggestions when you compose an email. Eventually, I Tweeted Michael Clewley, and he kindly responded and said he'd look into it.

Why don't you Tweet him and link to this CB thread?
    07-31-14 08:20 AM
    Thanks - I'll give it a go - can't do any harm anyway!

Posted via CB10
    08-01-14 02:18 PM
    ... Sent a BBM to someone only yesterday, noticed hours later that it didn't show delivered, found out today that they deleted BBM because they didn't use it ...
    That's what I don't get. Why did this person have to take the step of actually deleting BBM? Was it so difficult, such a big deal to just leave it on the phone, running? Iphone or android couldn't handle the "extra" app that you use to message this person? Not enough memory? I wouldn't be surprised if the average BBM deleter has all kinds of crap apps on his phone which he doesn't delete with the same level of urgency.
    08-01-14 10:47 PM
    I like this idea! Let's hope they actually do this!

Hello! I'm on an adventure into the world independent filmmaking. It would be great if you could join me! C00275CD8
    08-02-14 05:21 AM
    ChubbleTrubble, if you download an app, and discover soon after that it doesn't meet your needs, do you not delete it?

If you wipe and reinstall your phone, do you also reinstall the apps you don't want that you used to?

And even if you actually do both of these things, does it mean that others don't?

What I'm suggesting (and have tweeted a link to this thread to the product manager) is a simple addition that will allow you to deal with this situation which is very real. Some BlackBerry users not liking that people (lots of them) have deleted BBM - does not change the fact that it happens (and yes of course it happens to other platforms too).

I deleted Kik because no-one else really used it. You've never done this?

Posted via CB10
    08-02-14 06:51 AM
    ChubbleTrubble, if you download an app, and discover soon after that it doesn't meet your needs, do you not delete it?

If you wipe and reinstall your phone, do you also reinstall the apps you don't want that you used to?

And even if you actually do both of these things, does it mean that others don't?

What I'm suggesting (and have tweeted a link to this thread to the product manager) is a simple addition that will allow you to deal with this situation which is very real. Some BlackBerry users not liking that people (lots of them) have deleted BBM - does not change the fact that it happens (and yes of course it happens to other platforms too).

I deleted Kik because no-one else really used it. You've never done this?
    My point is that you're not "no one." You say you deleted Kik because "no one" was using it. Why would an important contact of yours (friend, loved one, associate) delete BBM when you're using it and s/he could be using it to reach you? That's my point. I would not delete a messenger a loved one uses to contact me or that I could use to contact her. The people who do that are one-way and ****ed, especially when it's no harm to their phones just keeping the messenger on their phones and on. For example, I keep Yahoo Instant messenger on my phones for those contacts who prefer to use it to reach me. I expect the contacts I want to reach on BBM to keep that on their phones. What's the big deal for them? If others (in the aggregate) can't do for me what I already do for them, they're not worth having as contacts.
    08-02-14 01:44 PM
    I can't see your point, although I am trying. I wouldn't use BBM if I didn't have a blackberry. Why? Because I have about 500 WhatsApp contacts, and 5 BBM. But those 5 BBM contacts *also* use WhatsApp. So I may as well delete BBM, and if I didn't have a BlackBerry then I probably would, just as I deleted Kik.

To say that important people in your life are not worth having as contacts because they delete an app from their phone that they don't use, is perhaps a little extreme. They can contact me on other platforms.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-14 05:01 PM