Afternoon Everyone,

I think I may have discovered a tweak for the runtime that provides VERY close to native android performance.

I know I am totally new here, however I have been in the wings for quite a time. I have been running the dev builds back to the 10.1 releases. Way back I heard about an app called Ghost Commander available through the BB Market. This provides you with an interesting view of what is installed natively as well as any installed .apks. Using this I was able to disable all non essential applications - animated wall paper etc. that were ordinarily running in the runtime. Be careful here though as I have disabled applications before that have left my runtime unusable.

It wasn't for a while that I discovered you could access the android settings Dev Tools using Ghost Commander. I have made a number of tweaks - even messed with the escreen some; nothing compares to the changes i have experienced in android performance. WIthout further ado: under the dev tools section go to developer options.

Under this menu I have enabled Force GPU Rendering, Disable HW Overlays (Both of which push alot of the graphic burden onto the GPU where as I don't believe the runtime had sense enough to do natively. Now the good part. How the apps are threaded on the processor. Check dont keep activities. What this does is keeps minimized programs out of the main thread - at least to the best of my understanding. There is a little greater delay when switching to and android application, however I think you will find the applications performance itself becomes very responsive.

Please provide any thoughts on this - I am rather curious to see if this works for other people's experiences are with this. If any one needs any help, I am more than happy to see.

I think I understand the actual science behind all of this, but it is more due to my experience with virtual machines than with BB. Thanks all!
    07-25-14 06:16 PM
    Welcome to Crackberry!!!

And I'll have to try this soon

Posted via CB10
    07-25-14 06:18 PM
    Thank you. Glad to be contributing. I do have another set of tweaks I am curious will work for others too, but this one i discovered today was a huge improvement!!
    07-25-14 06:26 PM
    Can I attempt this on any leaked OS?

Q10 with Telus on 10.3.0.296
    07-25-14 06:33 PM
    I dont think this really does anything. especially if you are running android apps. There is no animated wallpaper so its not "running" anyway. I suspect is just placebo effect.

Can I attempt this on any leaked OS?

Q10 with Telus on 10.3.0.296
    yes
    07-25-14 06:37 PM
    I believe this will work on any OS, though I have only tested on 10.3. Each time you open an android app, its opens it in a sandboxed virtual environment. If you have multiple apps open on the main thread, its almost like you are running two partial Android OSs simultaneously. I think this gets the apps to background in a way they can be pulled back into the main thread. That being said, this tweak seems to be more for how the runtime itself operates within the BB OS over anything build specific. Hope this helps! Happy tweaking (Now that just sounds wrong haha)
    anon(5906760) likes this.
    07-25-14 06:39 PM
    Hey Howarmat,

The big performance improvement can with the last part - checking "don't keep activities". And with respect to what you are saying I am not sure how this works to be honest. If you install and android launcher, you can have a live wall paper. I think by having the android framework that supports the live wall papers is a waste of resources. Whether disabling the animated wall papers does this is definitely debatable. I default to you as a Moderator - but I will keep them all disabled for no other reason as it would be waste of time to re-enable haha

I dont think this really does anything. especially if you are running android apps. There is no animated wallpaper so its not "running" anyway. I suspect is just placebo effect.

yes
    07-25-14 06:47 PM
    What device are you using

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    07-25-14 06:48 PM
    Sorry about that - my noob is showing. I am using a Z10 StL 100-3 on !0.3.0.296

What device are you using

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    07-25-14 06:57 PM
    I'll test this out. I'm on the latest 10.2.1 .. so where is dev tools settings ??

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    07-25-14 07:00 PM
    Link to Ghost Commander? I think i downloaded the wrong app

Posted via CB10
    07-25-14 07:00 PM
    I think any file manager should work. I got ghost and total commander installed.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    07-25-14 07:07 PM
    Alright, so like you said, where's Dev tool settings?

Posted via CB10
    07-25-14 07:13 PM
    Okay so there should be a Dev Tools listed as one of your apps in Ghost Commander. Hold the icon to get the context menu pop up. When that comes up, click launch.You will be presented with a new menu - right at the top is Developer Tools.I imagine you are familiar with android so the menu should be pretty familiar. Let me know if you need any further help.

I'll test this out. I'm on the latest 10.2.1 .. so where is dev tools settings ??

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    07-25-14 07:14 PM
    Check out Ghost Commander file manager in BlackBerry World! You can find it at http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/78977
    07-25-14 07:17 PM
    I forgot to point out the downside to this tweak. The settings to not persist after a reboot - a gift and a curse I suppose - *enter deity name here* forbid something goes wrong it will reset upon reboot
    07-25-14 07:20 PM
    Okay so there should be a Dev Tools listed as one of your apps in Ghost Commander. Hold the icon to get the context menu pop up. When that comes up, click launch.You will be presented with a new menu - right at the top is Developer Tools.I imagine you are familiar with android so the menu should be pretty familiar. Let me know if you need any further help.
    Yea I found it. Home> apps > dev tools. But nothing launches. Guess it's locked in 10.2.1

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    07-25-14 07:22 PM
    Hmm. Nevermind it's working now.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    07-25-14 07:24 PM
    That did happy to me as well. Sometimes lauching the dev tools is janky, but it works. I am very please with what I accidentally accomplished for myself today. I hope it helps you guys out too. FIgured I have leached long enough - please let me know if there is anything I can do to help. Im sitting here refreshing out of excitement haha

Hmm. Nevermind it's working now.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    Last edited by Capnkirk7790; 07-25-14 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Wasnt concise enough
    07-25-14 07:28 PM
    That did happy to me as well. Sometimes lauching the dev tools is janky, but it works. I am very please with what I accidentally accomplished for myself today. I hope it helps you guys out too. FIgured I have leached long enough - please let me know if there is anything I can do to help. Im sitting here refreshing out of excitement haha
    I'll need more time to test it out but so far it seems faster. Seems to be the GPU settings making a huge improvement

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    07-25-14 07:40 PM
    I've done that on every Android device I owned as well as shutting all the transitions and other BS off, stands to reason it would work somewhat on the Android runtime as well, though doubt it works 'as much'.
    07-25-14 08:54 PM
    The biggest performance improvement I saw on the runtime honestly was once i ticked the option to not keep the activities. It made everything MUCH peppier. I was debating updating relatively soon - the decision honestly just got harder. The BB hardware is very comparable to a Galaxy S3, and this tweak brought it alot closer to that. Still wouldn't trade my gestures for the world haha

I've done that on every Android device I owned as well as shutting all the transitions and other BS off, stands to reason it would work somewhat on the Android runtime as well, though doubt it works 'as much'.
    07-25-14 08:58 PM
    After trying, it did appear to increase the load time and made it snappier, but it did introduce some bugs in one of my apps so I stopped it. But then again, it is experimental

Posted via CB10
    07-25-14 09:06 PM
    the only bug I have personally experienced is when I come back from standby and resume using instagram it has a problem refreshing. Other than that I'm having a good ol time.

This may be because I am also using another app with some tweaks as well. Give android tweaker pro a Google and there is an app you may find that I use. It's has a ton of tweaks like increasing max events per second, etc - your typical android performance tweaker for the older android OSs.

I can't believe I am about to say this but I do not support pirating. That being said, it is very likely you can only find the link to this app from some third party sketchy ish site. Idk something like : http://freecache26-free.uloz.to/Ps;H...96&De&redirs=1.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-14 09:41 PM
    Upon further inspection I realized the big Apple performance increase comes from ticking don't keep activities. To me it seems that this forces the apps to use BlackBerry built in app management alone instead of in addition to the android manager.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-14 10:46 AM
37 12