Looking for the ability to view corporate device location, similar to what blackberry protect does - but at the BES level. This was apparently one of the "coming soon" features when BES10 launched. We're still at 10 - does 10.2 or 12 have this feature?

Thanks
    07-23-14 01:38 PM
    Looking for the ability to view corporate device location, similar to what blackberry protect does - but at the BES level. This was apparently one of the "coming soon" features when BES10 launched. We're still at 10 - does 10.2 or 12 have this feature?

Thanks
    BES10.2.3 (the latest BES version) does not feature this, though for some time now the location has been routinely collected and stored in the relevant SQL database, but there is no utility to view that location (other than connecting to the SQL server and viewing it manually). BES12 has yet to be released, though it probably will have that feature.

Though, as with the other two posters, I am wondering why you want this feature (I can sort-of imagine why for a corporate-owned device).

Thanks
    I personally don't like this feature.
    07-28-14 11:02 AM
    I'm intrigued as to why a business would genuinely want to have such a feature ? (other than snooping on the location of employees and being deceptive).

If a device is lost or stolen you'd immediately wipe it, knowing its location is probably irrelevant as I don't think the Police will turn up at the address at your request and they'd need a search warrant anyhow to enter the property and look around ?. If you data is that important you've probably already configured your BlackBerry in such a way that its rock solid security wise and no ones going to get to the data on it ?.
    07-30-14 05:05 AM

Thanks
    BES10.2.3 (the latest BES version) does not feature this, though for some time now the location has been routinely collected and stored in the relevant SQL database, but there is no utility to view that location (other than connecting to the SQL server and viewing it manually). BES12 has yet to be released, though it probably will have that feature.

Though, as with the other two posters, I am wondering why you want this feature (I can sort-of imagine why for a corporate-owned device).
    08-02-14 09:32 PM
    Just personally speaking.

it would be nice to have that feature as there have been situations where users have accidentally left their phones somewhere and would like help remembering where. location and retrieval is preferable to ordering a new device and waiting for it to show up. That is corp level. yes it can be used for malicious purposes but as the employer if i give you equipment to do your job that doesn't make it you property its mine and i can track it however i see fit.

this does not apply to BYOD then it is your property and i shouldn't be tracking it.
    08-07-14 01:13 PM
    it would be nice to have that feature as there have been situations where users have accidentally left their phones somewhere and would like help remembering where.
    Are these users not signed into BBID accounts and couldn't use BlackBerry Protect?

Posted via CB10
    08-07-14 01:16 PM
    Are these users not signed into BBID accounts and couldn't use BlackBerry Protect?

Posted via CB10
    as nice as it would be to give them the benifit of the doubt that they would they would not.

people expect that IT is on top of these things so they don't have to be.

Yes the new younger generation entering the workforce tend to do these things but the dominant group really don't care to.
    08-08-14 08:54 AM