Hi Everyone,

My personal phone is a Z30 and my work has provided me a Q5. I've asked on several occasions if I can just amalgamate my work accounts to my personal Z30 instead of always carrying two phones but they refuse to do it. To me it just sounds ridiculous, especially when my personal phone is a Blackberry!

So my question; are there any good reasons why they wouldn't allow me to use my own device? All I get from them is that it's company policy... If I leave the company or they decide to can me for some reason, can't they remotely lock my workspace and delete it?

Thanks,

Martin
    07-22-14 07:47 AM
    Could they get it done? Yes, BUT are they the only company that has this policy? Nope! My work is the same, no personal BlackBerry, you must use the one they issue you, EVEN if you have your own.
    07-22-14 07:50 AM
    Could they get it done? Yes, BUT are they the only company that has this policy? Nope! My work is the same, no personal BlackBerry, you must use the one they issue you, EVEN if you have your own.
    Boo.... I even went as far as wanting to "donate" my Z30 to the company so that I can use it... Still a no....
    07-22-14 07:55 AM
    There are actually plenty of reasons: for one, they may not want to start a precedent. Once one person goes with BYOD, then before long there are others asking 'why not my device' or 'why don't you support this or that'. Also, by keeping corporate devices in the field they know exactly who has access to company information and can better restrict the device. There's also been a pushback on the BYOD trend from a lot of companies since they don't want to have to support issues with every kind of device out there or deal with compatibility issues.

I work on a government contract and I was issued a government Z10 with Balance. Even on the personal side, APK and sideloaded applications are prohibited so even if you got your wish and went BYOD, you'd likely lose some of the control over what you could do with the device.
    laketrout73 likes this.
    07-22-14 07:56 AM
    Policy is policy I guess...

But technically there are no reason why they should not allow you to use your Z30 instead of the company Q5.

IF they are enforcing any control and policy on the Q5, they already must have access to a BES server - and the procedure to have your Z30 added into that - is the same as the Q5.

And yes - when you are part of the BES infrastructure, they can delete the "business" partition, or the whole device - including Your personal files/info. Perhaps that is why they want to issue a business-only device, so that in case their operator do a mistake and accidentally wipe your whole device, they can't be blamed for deleting your personal data.

They would have just as much control with their data on your personal device, as they do on the Q5 - as the mechanisms for enforcing device policies are the same.

Android APKs cannot be installed on the Work perimeter, at all - regardless of device - so that is also the same, but connected to BES they can choose to disable the option also on your Personal side. But - who needs Android apps anyway? Grab a cheap Samsung for the games.

So - company policies are sometimes made to ensure security, other times to save a company from possible lawsuits later. But then again- if they were willing to update themselves to 2014 and not live in the past, - all these things could be handled by a mutual signed agreement, where they don't take any responsibilities of your personal side of the device, and you signing them away from any liability for any data-loss or discomfort - in case of technical or human error on their part.
    07-22-14 11:37 AM
    I thought BlackBerry Balance was suppose do fix this

Posted via CB10
    07-22-14 11:49 AM
    Boo.... I even went as far as wanting to "donate" my Z30 to the company so that I can use it... Still a no....

Yes I tried this also, and encountered the same thing!
    07-22-14 12:31 PM