Ok, so I got back home today, and even though I had received new mails whilst I was on cellular data connection, none of them have come through my BlackBerry device, which I expected to happen as soon as I get back home where I have good wireless connection to the Internet.

I do not mind missing them when I am on celullar data, because then I blame it on the low data package I got with my carrier but having come home and connected to this or any other previously used wireless network, I expect them to sync. Suggestions? This applies for facebook messages as well, even though they are of less importance to me. Rather disappointed since I could browse mobile websites while I was on cellular only but no mails came through. Makes no sense.

Edit: turning both data services and wifi off and on again helped, now all the new mails appeared. Still, thiis problem makes the mail system rather useless at times

Posted via CB10
    07-21-14 03:32 PM
    Ok, so I got back home today, and even though I had received new mails whilst I was on cellular data connection, none of them have come through my BlackBerry device, which I expected to happen as soon as I get back home where I have good wireless connection to the Internet.

I do not mind missing them when I am on celullar data, because then I blame it on the low data package I got with my carrier but having come home and connected to this or any other previously used wireless network, I expect them to sync. Suggestions? This applies for facebook messages as well, even though they are of less importance to me. Rather disappointed since I could browse mobile websites while I was on cellular only but no mails came through. Makes no sense.

Edit: turning both data services and wifi off and on again helped, now all the new mails appeared. Still, thiis problem makes the mail system rather useless at times

Posted via CB10
    Sometimes you have Cell phone, but not data connectivity on the go... The sign 3G or 4G must be in capital letters (not 3g or 4g)... When I notice that, I turn into airplane mode and back (costs me a few seconds but resets the data if available).

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    07-21-14 03:46 PM
    I had data connection throughout the whole day today. Even though my speed is limited to a very low, I was able to read some mobile sites and even one that is a desktop site heavy with pictures. In the same time though, I did no receive simple mails with no attachments, just a few sentences of text. That is extremely dissapointing. Any way to fight this?

Posted via CB10
    07-21-14 03:57 PM
    I had data connection throughout the whole day today. Even though my speed is limited to a very low, I was able to read some mobile sites and even one that is a desktop site heavy with pictures. In the same time though, I did no receive simple mails with no attachments, just a few sentences of text. That is extremely dissapointing. Any way to fight this?

Posted via CB10
    May be a mail with attachement blocked the way, being downloaded at a slow speed, so only when you got it,the plug loosened and you recieved the rest!? (just an idea to explain... the lag)

07-21-14 04:04 PM
    As I said, those were regular text mails, no attachments.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-14 04:11 PM
    Okay. May be it wasn't really an issue.
    One thing, google works well when you set up "imap". Other servers use pop3, and you've got to set up a narrow synch interval.
    I set up my intervals to 5 min. No battery problems.

07-21-14 04:19 PM
    The mail is pop3 and set to 5minute intervals.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-14 04:47 PM
    Bump. Is there really no solution to this?

Posted via CB10
    07-25-14 02:22 AM
    Have you tried forwarding your pop3 mail to a good imap server? Does the issue occur when using imap or is it limited to pop3?
    07-25-14 08:21 AM
    I use only a pop3 email. Why would there be difference between it and imap? I am not familiar with all the technical details of email types.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-14 08:31 AM
    Do not know if it is a coincidence or related to the fact that I switched to using the same mail account but only in the form of IMAP, or that I increase my data plan limit (meaning my speed is decreased dramatically after using up 150 not 50 megs) but the issue seems to be resolved; I am heren outside any wireless network coverage, and I keep getting my mail messages in time.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-14 09:32 AM
    Update. The problem is back. I switched to an IMAP mail account, I increased my data plan limit to 600 MB which is more than enough, and still, even though I have full H signal here, I only get my mails after turning mobile network connection off and on again.

It worked fine for the first few days after switching to IMAP and increasing data plan. It is rather annoying even though when I feel I should have new mails switching mobile network connection off and on takes a few seconds.

Could really use some more suggestions.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-14 02:17 AM
    My email has been less than stellar ever since I switched to BB10. It was flawless on my old 9900.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-14 05:02 AM
    Update. The problem is back. I switched to an IMAP mail account, I increased my data plan limit to 600 MB which is more than enough, and still, even though I have full H signal here, I only get my mails after turning mobile network connection off and on again.
    What cellular connection do you use? 2G (EDGE), 3G or 4G (LTE)? I had some issues with 2G, especially when I turned the data connection off and on again, so I switched finally to 3G which works great. Does your configured email account poll your IMAP server or do you use the Push option? Or both? (Note: both is not very useful, but you can do it. This costs data volume without any effort.) If you use the Push option you must be sure that your IMAP server implements the so called IMAP IDLE protocol. Ask you mail provider if this is indeed the case. Otherwise you don't get new messages pushed onto your device.
    08-13-14 05:25 AM
    What cellular connection do you use? 2G (EDGE), 3G or 4G (LTE)? I had some issues with 2G, especially when I turned the data connection off and on again, so I switched finally to 3G which works great. Does your configured email account poll your IMAP server or do you use the Push option? Or both? (Note: both is not very useful, but you can do it. This costs data volume without any effort.) If you use the Push option you must be sure that your IMAP server implements the so called IMAP IDLE protocol. Ask you mail provider if this is indeed the case. Otherwise you don't get new messages pushed onto your device.
    I am on HSPA+/UMTS/GSM. Like I said, here at my summee house where the issue takes place, I constantly have full H reception bars.

Stupid question, what is PUSH option?
    Just opened settins/accounts and the email account was not connected. Disabled network connection, enabled it, and now it does not show that the mail account is not connected. So basically, at times, it loses connection?

Once again. I have no other data problems. I can browse sites without any ptoblems. I am however completely new to using a fully functioning email account on a mobile device so I might need some assistance regarding IMAP settings and all that.

Just tell me what settings you want me to check and post and I will do so.

Edit: just opened email account settings via hub and it says in red - an unexpected problem occurred with Inbox-my account name. Some features may not be working correctly.
    08-13-14 07:04 AM
    I am on HSPA+/UMTS/GSM. Like I said, here at my summee house where the issue takes place, I constantly have full H reception bars.
    This should be 3G. In this case you should have a visible "3G" in the upper right corner.
    Stupid question, what is PUSH option? Just opened settins/accounts and the email account was not connected. Disabled network connection, enabled it, and now it does not show that the mail account is not connected. So basically, at times, it loses connection?
    The Push option is configured in your email account configuration on your device. If you choose this the delivering of messages is totally different from polling. Polling means your device asks the mail server again and again, you can configure the interval. The Push option uses a feature of the server, the server tells you immediately when he gets a new message. But this needs the server to cooperate. As far as I remember the Push option is ON by default, check this. If it is ON and the server doesn't cooperate ... I don't know what then happens, probably you never get a push from that server. Then you must use polling, this means: switch Push OFF and set a proper polling interval. Otherwise, if Push works, be sure to remove the polling interval (set to "Manually") to avoid polling.
    Once again. I have no other data problems. I can browse sites without any ptoblems. I am however completely new to using a fully functioning email account on a mobile device so I might need some assistance regarding IMAP settings and all that.
    Yes, OK, but it will surely work very well if you set the right options.
    Edit: just opened email account settings via hub and it says in red - an unexpected problem occurred with Inbox-my account name. Some features may not be working correctly.
    This makes me assume that you have a spelling error or something like this. Check also the encryption settings. Most servers require SSL or TLS encryption today. Check also the ports, some servers have none-standard ports. I won't assume that it is related to the Inbox folder, some servers use also none-standard Inbox or Sent folders. - Have you ever had a stable working client for that concrete IMAP server? The best way to experiment with all that is to a Desktop application, Thunderbird or something like that. And then, if you have this working, use it's credentials on the BB.
    08-13-14 07:44 AM
    Inbox.lv is the name of my email service provider. If you want, you can check their page, it is also available in English. I know I set the ports according to their guide. I use SSL. I now disabled push, to see what happens. My sync interval is 5 minutes. When on wifi, mail works perfectly so I doubt it is a spelling error.

Once I am back home, I will contact their help staff.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-14 07:55 AM
    Do wait couple of hrs
    08-14-14 04:48 AM
    Meh, just turned cellular network off and on again, and instantly received several emails. Problem still here with Push disabled.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-14 04:54 AM
    Meh, just turned cellular network off and on again, and instantly received several emails. Problem still here with Push disabled
    OK, and what is the polling interval? Set it to the minimum, just for the test, 5 minutes or so. Try to get a log from your mail server - many mail servers support this on their website, if you log in you can retrieve a log containing the last requests. Your device should then be mentioned every five minutes.
    08-14-14 05:27 AM
    I have always had it at five minutes. Will ask for a log and report back here.
    Edit: I sent the email service provider a description of my problem. Sadly, I feel that my phone will be blamed, considering the quality of customer service around here, usually.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by lustekarlis; 08-15-14 at 05:26 AM.
    08-14-14 06:20 AM
    So, they said they do not support IMAP IDLE. Is that a big deal?
    Also, they assume that my phone probably has a setting that forces to use wifi over cellular connection for email but that is not the case since here, where the problem is in force, my wifi is always off.

Any suggestions on what to ask them?
    Sent them screenshots of my mail settings, let us see what they reply.
    Posted via CB10
    Last edited by lustekarlis; 08-15-14 at 07:44 AM.
    08-15-14 07:32 AM
    So, they said they do not support IMAP IDLE. Is that a big deal?
    Not at all. But this means that you can't use the Push option on that server. You can only poll him. If you don't do this manually it will cost you 2...5 MB per day just for this polling (depends on the polling interval), but nevertheless it should work. OK, now we know a bit more.
    Also, they assume that my phone probably has a setting that forces to use wifi over cellular connection for email
    Of course, but I don't know what setting this should be. Normally you have cellular on. If you have also wifi on, wifi is preferred. If you switch off wifi it returns automatically to cellular if it's still on. My Z30 does all this without any problem.
    Any suggestions on what to ask them?
    Before we finally assume that your device has a damage you could still test another IMAP or POP server. Runbox (https://runbox.com/signup.ttml) has a free trial. This is an IMAP server (including IMAP IDLE) that works very well, I know him for sure. You can use Push or not, as you want. You could also change your cellular connection (just for testing) to 4G (LTE). What is your configured network selection mode? (the option just below where you specify what kind of network to use, 2G, 3G, 4G) Set it to automatically.
    08-15-14 08:06 AM
    Network option is set to automatically already.
    I ruled out the WiFi issue myself because at home and work I have it on, and it is automatically used, at least I think so, for email.

Does gmail offer free IMAP service? I have an account there I could use for testing. Thanks for now!

Posted via CB10
    08-15-14 09:36 AM
    So I just set up my gmail account to work on my phone. Asked a friend to send me a test email and it arrived instantly. I simply used the add account and advanced feature, and my device set it up automatically. As far as I understand it is an IMAP account by default.

What should I make of this test?
    Sent a few more test emails from an alternative account from the browser to both the problematic inboz.lv account and the gmail account.

And again, the gmail account received the mails instantly but to receive the mails on the problematic inbo.lv account, I again had to disable and enable cellular network connection.
    Posted via CB10
    Last edited by lustekarlis; 08-15-14 at 10:58 AM.
    08-15-14 10:21 AM
37 12