I think it's time for a BlackBerry Fact Check! Don't know how people can judge something without using it! BlackBerry's square smartphone and other desperate moves | Mobile Technology - InfoWorld

Posted via CB10
    07-18-14 04:14 PM
    Doesn't even mention android and the Amazon apps that will come. / reading article
    sjmartin007 likes this.
    07-18-14 04:27 PM
    I think it's time for a BlackBerry Fact Check! Don't know how people can judge something without using it! BlackBerry's square smartphone and other desperate moves | Mobile Technology - InfoWorld

Posted via CB10
    InfoWorld is a nobody.

Can't wait to see a rebuttal though.
    anon5645485 and Donnierock like this.
    07-18-14 04:28 PM
    Don't give them the pagehits they so desperately crave.

Z10 STL100-1, OS 10.2.1.3247
    07-18-14 04:30 PM
    Luckily, most-to-all comments are bashing the article on their site.

Looks like a one man team if you look into their site - @MobileGalen

I suggest tweeting! Slander towards companies by tech writers who barely graduated high school should stop...
    spike12 likes this.
    07-18-14 04:36 PM
    What a piece of **** of article

Posted via CB10
    kadthekid, acovey and FCBAndrea like this.
    07-18-14 04:42 PM
    It is very easy to kick someone when they are down. This will continue to be done by some writers until BlackBerry turns the ship. Personally, I think BlackBerry already has but not everyone sees or believes it.

Posted via CB10
    spike12 and FCBAndrea like this.
    07-18-14 04:58 PM
    This guy has passed judgement without even putting his hands on one.

In addition apps selection is not based on sheer total number. As long as there is diversity 99% of people's app needs are met.

Poor biased article in general.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-14 05:04 PM
    Wow - this guy is really ****-hurt.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-14 05:21 PM
    I don't get these people who are so desperate to see a company like BlackBerry fail. Would we like to live in a world where you only have a choice between a Ford and a Toyota?

It is almost as if they cannot comprehend that some of us really do like what BlackBerry brings to the table, and that this diversity is a good thing.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-14 06:11 PM
    I don't get these people who are so desperate to see a company like BlackBerry fail. Would we like to live in a world where you only have a choice between a Ford and a Toyota?

It is almost as if they cannot comprehend that some of us really do like what BlackBerry brings to the table, and that this diversity is a good thing.

Posted via CB10
    Apparently, a lot of people don’t see things our way. I my humble opinion, that would be a dull and boring a$$ world to live in.
    07-18-14 06:34 PM
    The problem with being overly sensitive to the opinion of others is that it sometimes blinds ultra enthusiasts from seeing things that might be otherwise obvious.

For the record, I consider Gruman a good writer. He's direct, but generally gives a good argument, IMHO... like when he reviewed the Z10 and praised it. I'm sure we all loved him then LOL. He does what tech writers do. He is looking at the landscape, and making a prediction based on criteria he wants to use. You might dislike his delivery, but he makes some pertinent points. IMHO, of course.

IIRC, he wasn't keen on the Moto X (a device I liked). He also gives almighty Samsung the business when he thinks Samsung brings a less-than-stellar product to the market. He does not come across as a blind fan of any one platform. When most of the media was fawning over the Nexus line, he raised some valid concerns.

In other words, if there is an unbiased writer whose criticism one might wanna pay attention to, it's his... that is if one is able to separate criticism of a device from criticism of one's person.

BTW, if current discourse about the Passport right here on CB is any indication, his "bashing" is pretty tame. Look around and see what some of the faithful are saying.
    07-18-14 06:51 PM
    Sounds like to me, he's a bit nervous of what BlackBerry is bringing to the table. In my world people that write a article like this is desperate themselves. Hemight of had a few valid points (in my opinion) however I see him as desperate to talk up the competition

Rockin Z30 on 10.2.1.2947 on AT&T
    07-18-14 06:52 PM
    The problem with being overly sensitive to the opinion of others is that it sometimes blinds ultra enthusiasts from seeing things that might be otherwise obvious.

For the record, I consider Gruman a good writer. He's direct, but generally gives a good argument, IMHO... like when he reviewed the Z10 and praised it. I'm sure we all loved him then LOL. He does what tech writers do. He is looking at the landscape, and making a prediction based on criteria he wants to use. You might dislike his delivery, but he makes some pertinent points. IMHO, of course.

IIRC, he wasn't keen on the Moto X (a device I liked). He also gives almighty Samsung the business when he thinks Samsung brings a less-than-stellar product to the market. He does not come across as a blind fan of any one platform. When most of the media was fawning over the Nexus line, he raised some valid concerns.

In other words, if there is an unbiased writer whose criticism one might wanna pay attention to, it's his... that is if one is able to separate criticism of a device from criticism of one's person.

BTW, if current discourse about the Passport right here on CB is any indication, his "bashing" is pretty tame. Look around and see what some of the faithful are saying.
    ...true to form...you never cease to amaze me.....keep at it
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    07-18-14 07:56 PM
    ...true to form...you never cease to amaze me.....keep at it
    I honestly, sincerely take that as the HIGHEST form of praise.
    07-18-14 08:00 PM
    Free BlackBerry Passport press! And he even mentions the Z10 and Q10. At least more people now know BlackBerry isn't dead and has new products...
    07-18-14 08:05 PM
    Free BlackBerry Passport press! And he even mentions the Z10 and Q10. At least more people now know BlackBerry isn't dead and has new products...
    Good point. And, if I recall, he loved the Z10.

Even "bad" write-ups keep it in the news, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
    07-18-14 08:07 PM

Great points!
    07-18-14 08:14 PM
    I think he's right that going after Blackphone was a foolish move. And I think he's right about the fact check site also. Make a blog post or two addressing some issues, but don't make a whole site about your own defensiveness.

I think he's wrong on the Passport, though. The square makes sense to me. I guess we will see how many people will actually pay for one though.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    07-18-14 08:59 PM

And both the so called CB faithful and the writer deserve to be taken to task. If he writes a critical article after having had a review device for a week then your arguments are valid. Without it he is guessing, feeling assuming etc. Which means his personal likes and dislikes play a big role. Because we all view the world based on who we are.

And same goes for the BlackBerry faithful.

But there is a difference. This is a fan site and fans can express feeling etc. Even though they have never used the device.

A blogger on the other hand influences his or her readers and has a greater responsibility which this blogger clearly does not exercise well.

Posted via CB10
    gnirkatto and stealthbob like this.
    07-18-14 09:21 PM
    And both the so called CB faithful and the writer deserve to be taken to task. If he writes a critical article after having had a review device for a week then your arguments are valid. Without it he is guessing, feeling assuming etc. Which means his personal likes and dislikes play a big role. Because we all view the world based on who we are.

And same goes for the BlackBerry faithful.

But there is a difference. This is a fan site and fans can express feeling etc. Even though they have never used the device.

A blogger on the other hand influences his or her readers and has a greater responsibility which this blogger clearly does not exercise well.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly (to the bold).

I read a lot of tech articles. Tech writers surmise. I can make a lot of suppositions without handling a device, like the Passport will have one glaring drawback that has plagued BB10 since day one.

In any case, his job to spur conversation about circuitry, and I hold that he is good at it. A difference of opinion doesn't invalidate his contribution; even if I disagree with his views specific to the device itself (I kind of dig the atypical square, and I think, all things being equal, it would be an intriguing choice for buyers).

Things are not equal in the mobile sector, though, and I think he raises some pertinent points.
    07-18-14 09:45 PM
    Well at least I saw a pic there of the PP with the cursor and the 4th line of kb. And as I said before, the weird device is going to market itself.

BBQ10
    07-18-14 10:21 PM
    Everyone do yourselves a favor and ignore an article by an uneducated wanna be journalist. No point in even bashing him best just to ignore the whole thing and move on.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    07-18-14 11:51 PM
    There are 2 things that are annoying and completely unacceptable imho, regardless of the poster being a "professional" writer or a "private" person on CB or elsewhere:

1. bashing a product which has not even arrived, based upon a handful of pictures and videos.
    2. claiming to own the one and only ultimate truth, rather than expressing opinions and concerns or raising questions.

So here are some "Fact Checks" on quotes from the post:

The app market for BlackBerry is, simply put, pathetic - as pathetic as the Android playstore
    A self-confident company wouldn't roll in the mud of perceived slights and alleged misperceptions - wrong. Even the most self confident and powerful global market leaders do that (I've been working for some). And in a much more agressive and intese manner than what BB does with fact check.
    how its supersecurity pitch is overkill for most users - and the point being what? Don't tell those who are interested, because it's overkill for (allegedly) most?
    a square-screen BlackBerry that puzzles pretty much anyone who's seen it - wrong
    It doesn't fit in a shirt pocket - wrong
    Its keyboard uses a nonstandard aspect ratio - what is the standard and who defined it
    a flaw that will besmirch BlackBerry's reputation for excellent physical keyboards - impossible to tell without having tried it out in person
    you can adjust the screen view [of rectangular screens] for the content at hand. A square screen eliminates that versatility - wrong, it eliminates the need to adjust the screen view, if large enough.
    I really wish that the folks at BlackBerry would shut up and deliver - deliver what? iPhone & Android clones?
    Last edited by gnirkatto; 07-19-14 at 09:55 AM. Reason: correct typos
    igor10000, neo158, web99 and 1 others like this.
    07-19-14 06:43 AM
    Out of all the recent BB bashing articles, this one presents the highest level of ignorance.
    07-19-14 10:39 AM
32 12