Hi everyone,

I've been thinking about this and realized that I may never get another OS update and will need to use Sachesi or autoloaders in order to update. Here is my rationale and please correct me if I am wrong:

So I have a Verizon z30 and using it in Canada on the Bell network. The model number is STA100-3. Since I am using a Bell SIM card, I should be getting updates from Bell. However, as explained to me, because Bell never issued the STA100-3 model number for their network, no updates would be issued for this model. So, that would mean that I would need to wait to get the Verizon update. However, since I don't have a Verizon SIM, I assume it will not be pushed to me. As such, I will never get any updates.

Is this reasoning correct?
    07-15-14 10:49 PM
    I'm using a Verizon Z30 on Verizon and still haven't gotten the update, so don't give up hope yet. Probably better off using Sachesi and/or autoloader than depending on Verizon anyway...

Posted via CB10
    07-15-14 10:57 PM
    I'm using a Verizon Z30 on Verizon and still haven't gotten the update, so don't give up hope yet. Probably better off using Sachesi and/or autoloader than depending on Verizon anyway...

Posted via CB10
    Actually, what I'm saying is that even when Verizon sends the update, I won't get it since I have a Bell SIM card inserted. That is what I'm trying to validate. So regardless of whether Bell or Verizon releases an update, I won't get it and will be dependent on Sachesi or an autoloader.

Is this right?
    07-15-14 11:02 PM
    Sounds like you won't get an update. But then again, stranger things have happened but I think you are correct with your assumption.

Q10 with Telus on 10.3.0.296
    07-15-14 11:15 PM
    Surely there is another way, in Australia, Telstra is slow, so we have a spare Amaysim Sim, put it in, get updates, swap it out again....

Z30 144GB
    07-15-14 11:25 PM
    Take the SIM out and just connect to WiFi. I have gotten updates like this in the past few months.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    07-15-14 11:54 PM
    I use T- Mobile and a VZW Z30. It's up to date so I don't see it being a problem. If all else fails get a hold of a Verizon sim. It doesn't need to be activated to work for an update. At least that's how it use to work.

Posted via Zee30
    07-16-14 11:31 PM
    Take the SIM out and just connect to WiFi. I have gotten updates like this in the past few months.
    Interesting...

CB10 on the Q10
    07-17-14 12:16 AM
    OP, I would do the SIM out/WiFi check as suggested, as its the easiest way to go about it. But if you are interested in a SIM based update system...I know people here in the US use Canadian SIMs to pull down Canadian carriers' OSes (since our carriers are so slow and all...you may have heard ) So I don't see why you shouldn't be able to essentially do the same with a Verizon SIM. These Canadian SIMs that they use aren't even active. They just need to be carrier branded, and the phone pulls down any available updates from that carrier.
    07-17-14 12:26 AM
    I'm with Verizon. My Z10 got the update. Still waiting on the Z30 to come through. Nothing yet, even after trying all the other options. Any other Z30 users on Verizon having the same issue?
    07-18-14 10:32 PM
    I'm with Verizon. My Z10 got the update. Still waiting on the Z30 to come through. Nothing yet, even after trying all the other options. Any other Z30 users on Verizon having the same issue?
    Same here... nothing from VZW (on VZW) for my Z30. Last time I checked my wife's Q10, there was nothing there either. Can't say anything about my Z10 as it's running 10.3...

Posted via CB10
    07-18-14 11:12 PM
    OP, I would do the SIM out/WiFi check as suggested, as its the easiest way to go about it. But if you are interested in a SIM based update system...I know people here in the US use Canadian SIMs to pull down Canadian carriers' OSes (since our carriers are so slow and all...you may have heard ) So I don't see why you shouldn't be able to essentially do the same with a Verizon SIM. These Canadian SIMs that they use aren't even active. They just need to be carrier branded, and the phone pulls down any available updates from that carrier.
    I will test the WIFI and SIM out method and hope that I will get the update. However, I assume that it is still looking for the Verizon update since the phone is from Verizon and as you had explained to me, I won't get the Canadian updates since they never had the STA100-3 model (sigh ... so unfortunately means I need to wait for a Verizon update).

So if the WIFI and no SIM doesn't work, then I will look for a Verizon SIM. Anyone have an old one that they want to give me?
    07-25-14 05:00 PM
    I will test the WIFI and SIM out method and hope that I will get the update. However, I assume that it is still looking for the Verizon update since the phone is from Verizon and as you had explained to me, I won't get the Canadian updates since they never had the STA100-3 model (sigh ... so unfortunately means I need to wait for a Verizon update).
    At least the factory unlocked BBs are getting the 10.2.1.32xx update "directly" from BB, even if they're being used in the US (where no carrier has released this update.) Verizon Z30s are unlocked, but are they factory unlocked? IDK. But it's worth a try to check, because apparently Verizon has pushed out 10.2.1.3253 to some devices.

There's always Sachesi too, if you're so inclined.
    07-25-14 05:53 PM
    The sim out wifi method works perfectly in Canada. I have done it with a spare Q5 and my old Z10.

Posted with my gorgeous Z30
    Carl Estes likes this.
    07-25-14 07:35 PM
    Would the Sim out and using BBLink not work?

Posted via CB10
    07-25-14 07:50 PM
    Nothing will work now because the 10.2.1.3253 update for the VZW Z30 has not landed by any method, OTA, Link, Sachesi.....we are all just waiting. my Q10 got it two days ago but we Z30's are SOL for now.
    07-26-14 01:52 PM
    I did try the SIM out and WIFI method and it still shows that I have the latest update. I guess I will need to learn how to use Sachesi if I want to upgrade the OS.
    07-31-14 09:02 AM