But when I do, I put on a pretty good show.

A good friend of mine is an Apple reseller. He has always seen me with a BlackBerry (had the Torch 9800 back then). He never thought much of BlackBerry a few years ago. Mainly because his staff once wanted to use a BlackBerry at work and that involved him having to invest in a BES, which apparently was very expensive a few years ago (not sure if that's fact or not).

He has had a few digs at me for using a BlackBerry, claiming they were gonna dwindle and finally leave the market.

Anyway, his views on BlackBerry hadn't changed for the better after all these years... until the other day. We went out to have dinner and he now sees me with my Z30. So he asks me how my Samsung phone is. LOL.

I show him that it's a BlackBerry and he pokes fun at me (loudly) for still using a BlackBerry. Funnily enough, the restaurant we were at had several BlackBerry users.

Afterwards, as we were driving home, he asked me if I had a car charger for my BlackBerry. I calmly replied that I don't need such a thing as the battery on my Z30 lasts me nearly two full days of heavy use. He enshrouds his iPhone with a battery case all the time in order to get him through the day, however on this occasion, he had lent his battery case to our other friend who had joined us for dinner, as his battery was about to die. I glanced at my BlackBerry and noticed it had enough charge to last me til the next afternoon at least, but I decided not to make a big point about it.

The next day, he came round to my house to visit and as we were talking, he asked me how my new business is getting on and how I manage to keep track of my clients and meetings.

So I take out the Z30 and show him my calendar. I manage 6 different calendars so when you open my Calendar app, you see many different colours all over the place. I explained to him what each colour meant and then I showed him how I differentiate each calendar and isolated my work calendar to show him clearly how busy my schedule was when it came to attending to my clients.

Instead of talking about my new business, he suddenly became more interested in my Calendar app! So I felt obliged to show him the "growing numbers" to show a busy schedule and the red marks which shows if there is a clash in my schedule. He was very impressed with the "growing numbers" (not sure if we still call it that since the PlayBook days) and asked if BlackBerry had patented that idea. I didn't know the answer to that, so I told him that if I were in BlackBerry's shoes, I would have patented it straight away.

I explained to him that I share this calendar with my Business partner so that she can see when I am with a client and if I had gone for a home visit as opposed to being at the clinic. She can also book clients into my schedule around the appointments which are already marked, as and when it was needed. I further explained that I have a "family" calendar which my siblings and parents share to let each other know of family events and meet-ups. And the BBM calendar that I share with my sister in case she needs to borrow my car one day for her clients.

He was amazed at how quickly I could switch between the calendars and how quickly I could identify what all the shapes and colours meant.

I explained to him that this was BlackBerry's calendar and it was designed for busy people like me. Then I explained that even the calendar app on the legacy BlackBerry smartphones were an amazing app to prove the point that BlackBerry have a long history of a great implementation of a calendar app.

Then, the clincher... I told him that the native BlackBerry calendar kicks iPhone's calendar's arse (since he uses an iPhone). Admittedly, I don't actually know how good or bad the calendar app is on iPhone, since I've never used it properly lol. But I do know that with a calendar app like BlackBerry's, it would be pretty hard to beat.

Anyway, turns out he totally agrees with me. Needless to say, he's now impressed with what BlackBerry have to offer; which makes a refreshing change. And that's after showing him just one tiny thing about my BlackBerry and how I use it to manage my day-to-day business.

Next time, I hope he asks me how I manage all my emails on my phone

Posted via CB10
    07-15-14 06:40 PM
    I stopped reading after "2 full days of heavy use."
    07-15-14 06:56 PM
    Lol coincidentally....theres three people in my class right now with a battery pack on the iPhones....im not gonna talk though cause charger is plugged into my Z10 as I type this lol

Good story though. But is it enough to make him leave his iPhone though?

Posted via CB10
    Sam Moussally likes this.
    07-15-14 07:01 PM
    Usually all I have to do convince my friends that Blackberry 'is back' is just show it running instagram. Lol. Cool story tho.

Posted via CB10 on Blackberry Q5
    07-15-14 07:07 PM
    Why? He doesn't need to get 48 hours... only 32 -34.... if I keep my phone charged until I leave for work... I can easily get the full 24 hours, and have enough for the next 8 hour work day. that's two full days....

Posted via CB10
    spikesolie and sk8er_tor like this.
    07-15-14 07:10 PM
    Sadly... I believe growing numbers in the calendar is no more with 10.3?

Posted via CB10
    07-15-14 07:30 PM
    Sadly... I believe growing numbers in the calendar is no more with 10.3?

Posted via CB10
    Oh - I'll quote myself. Looks like the option is there but it doesn't seem functional for me.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-14 07:37 PM
    You mad bro?

I don't normally show off my BlackBerry...-img_20140331_093740.png

Posted via CB10
    07-15-14 07:38 PM
    I manage two full days usually with quite heavy use.

"Z30 STA100-2 UK" Get's a Ten from Fen.
    07-15-14 07:48 PM
    You mad bro?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140331_093740.png 
Views:	3860 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	285231

Posted via CB10
    Ha Ha. Best response ever. Bravo. I also easily get this kind of battery life. Lay off the Android BS Apps and you'll be surprised how much longer and harder you can go

Posted Securely Via BlackBerry 10.
    07-15-14 07:52 PM
    Ya. I have a z10 so I can't contribute anything re battery life

Posted via CB10
    07-15-14 07:55 PM
    You mad bro?

Name:	IMG_20140331_093740.png 
Views:	3860 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	285231

Posted via CB10
    Hahaha. Beautiful

I can't get 2 days but I always have at least 25% left at bed time. I am a very heavy user. I don't put it down from the time I wake up till the time I go to bed.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-14 08:14 PM
    There are several free calendar apps in my ipad that does the same as in BlackBerry calendar. I'm sure it's also available for iphone.

BBQ10
    07-15-14 08:22 PM
    iPhone's calendar is just as good if not better. So easy to move items around. The text parsing for events in email is awesome. BlackBerry 10 does not have that.

So your friend probably just doesn't use the calendar or you're making **** up.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-14 08:44 PM
    There are several free calendar apps in my ipad that does the same as in BlackBerry calendar. I'm sure it's also available for iphone.

BBQ10
    Id rather if it just worked. Rather than find the app i "needed".
    07-15-14 08:48 PM
    The Z30 cannot possibly give 48 hours of "Heavy" battery life.

It is rated to give 25 hours of mix use, there's now way in God's green earth could you stretch it to 48 in heavy.

This is highest mines has ever been able to achieve, and also look at my screen time. Plus tell me if I'm wrong, but you were on wi-fi most of the time.

I don't normally show off my BlackBerry...-img_20140715_214748.png
    07-15-14 08:52 PM
    The Z30 has a great battery life, I admit that!
    But I'm tired of people using terms like light, medium and heavy usage so loosely.
    07-15-14 08:54 PM
    The Z30 cannot possibly give 48 hours of "Heavy" battery life.

It is rated to give 25 hours of mix use, there's now way in God's green earth could you stretch it to 48 in heavy.

This is highest mines has ever been able to achieve, and also look at my screen time. Plus tell me if I'm wrong, but you were on wi-fi most of the time.

Name:	IMG_20140715_214748.png 
Views:	954 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	285257
    Read between the lines brother, when he says two full days if use he means two full work days, which lets say is like 9 hours each day

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums mobile app
    JGoodard and spikesolie like this.
    07-15-14 09:04 PM

BBQ10
    Excellent. Please let me know what they are called so I can recommend them to my friend so he can try them out. I'm sure he would appreciate it.

There's a great chance he hasn't come across these apps before so if would be good if I could recommend him some apps.

But please make sure they work for the iPhone (not just for the iPad).

Posted via CB10
    07-15-14 10:12 PM
    Id rather if it just worked. Rather than find the app i "needed".
    My friend has the same mentality. But if an app is available for him and it works, then so be it.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-14 10:13 PM
    I think the calender app is so-so. You should totally show him the hub and battery life and browser.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-14 10:19 PM
    The Z30 has a great battery life, I admit that!
    But I'm tired of people using terms like light, medium and heavy usage so loosely.
    Aye, it's true. You can't measure battery life on such an arbitrary scale. I accept your argument!

Heavy/light/medium usage is all relative to the individual, I guess.

My normal use on a working day rarely includes watching any videos, but does include using approximately an hour's worth of GPS, probably around 50 emails, easily 200 BBM messages, several texts and maybe an hour or two worth of phone calls. Plus, adjusting my calendar and maybe Web browsing for an hour max.

And yes, I was on wifi for most of the time, although I am lazy and I don't toggle the wifi off when I leave a wifi area.

Posted via CB10
    jon4400 and spikesolie like this.
    07-15-14 10:22 PM
    iPhone's calendar is just as good if not better. So easy to move items around. The text parsing for events in email is awesome. BlackBerry 10 does not have that.

So your friend probably just doesn't use the calendar or you're making **** up.

Posted via CB10
    I call BS on this one. I haven't used an iPhone myself but I have a number of colleagues that do use it. The native iPhone calendar doesn't appear to do much (especially if you are using it for business). My colleagues have had many instances of calendar entries disappearing on the iPhone and probably the biggest omission from the iPhone calendar is the complete inability to send an email to all attendees. You have to buy an app for this and even then, I heard from one of my colleagues that using was just a waste of money. Apparently caused other issues (I can't recall off-hand and will check).

If I'm also not mistaken (and please iPhone folks correct me if I'm wrong), when setting up a meeting invite in the calendar, you are not able to see the other participant's calendars and the times that they are busy. Perhaps this is something they didn't know how to do, but I would think that if this option was available, it shouldn't be hard to figure out.

When it comes to calendar and email, I don't think there is anything that can come close to Blackberry. For the apps and ecosystem, we all know that Blackberry cannot compete with the Apples and Androids of the world.
    07-15-14 10:30 PM
    I think the calender app is so-so. You should totally show him the hub and battery life and browser.

Posted via CB10
    Browser is definitely amazing. Whenever I have opened up a Web page in front of someone, they are impressed with the speed.

I only showed him the calendar because it came up in conversation. As you can see below, I use my calendar extensively to manage my day-to-day business and as my friend also runs his own company, it was a useful discussion to have between us.

I don't normally show off my BlackBerry...-img_20140716_042424.png

But as the title goes "I don't normally show off my BlackBerry...", so I don't go around telling people that my phone is better than your phone. Lol.

If people ask, I may tell (if I can be bothered). Otherwise, I assume that they are happy with their decision of phone and I concentrate on things which are more important to me.

Still though, I can't wait for one of my friends to ask me about the hub!

Posted via CB10
    07-15-14 10:35 PM
    Thank you for sharing. I look forward to the days where we don't have to justify why we choose the device or platform that we currently have. And that people would be more respectful. I can always dream :-)

My Z10 - an extension of me
    07-15-14 11:28 PM
45 12