I've got a Z30 loaded with BlackBerry Balance on the Rogers network and I'm wondering (since my phone is unlocked), if I swap out my Rogers SIM and buy a SIM in Europe will BlackBerry Balance still work when I travel?

Rogers roaming packages are very expensive and I don't want to get burned. I figure I'll be using data more than calling back to Canada.

I've never roamed before so I want to know what my options are before I reluctantly call Rogers as a last alternative and get them to add European travel pack.

Thanks in advance.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-14 01:14 AM
    Yes it will.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-14 01:43 AM
    It should work but only if you have Corporate activation for Regulated activation it will not.
    You don't even have to have a SIM card in the phone, WiFi is enough (so you can try it at home )
    07-15-14 01:47 AM
    Thanks very much.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-14 05:04 PM
    ...for Regulated activation it will not.
    Are you sure about that? Assuming the license is not a SIM license, that is.
    08-02-14 12:24 AM
    If you are using Cal based regulated activation you can swap sims. If you are using sim provisioned cals then it may or not work. In our organisation a provider is struggling with the regulated data plan. Sometimes the sims have it sometimes nor. The devices still work but not sure for how long!

Posted via CB10
    08-03-14 04:06 PM
    Yes with regulated activiation it's a bit complicated.
    You are correct regarding SIM licences. I quote BES10 v10.2.x Licensing guide regarding SIM licenses:
    "If a user removes the SIM card from a device that uses a SIM license, that device is locked in quarantine mode. As long as the device is quarantined, the user cannot access work data. BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 removes the device from quarantine when the user inserts the SIM card again. You or the user can also switch service to a different BlackBerry 10 device and then insert the SIM card into the new device."

For server licences to activate a device in regulated mode you must have an Advanced BlackBerry Data Plan from your provider associated with your SIM card. And I quote the same doc.:
    "You can use device compliance rules to encourage users to comply with the device conditions that your organization requires. The BlackBerry Device Service detects that a device is out of compliance when one of the following occurs:
    • There is no SIM card in the device.
    • The service plan on the SIM card does not support your organization’s activation requirements.
    • Someone ran software or performed an action on the device that gives a user access to the operating system of the device.
    If there is no SIM card in the device or the service plan on the SIM card does not support your organization’s activation requirements, an automatic message displays on the device's home screen and all wireless communication is disabled on the workspace but the work space is not locked. When the user inserts the correct SIM card into the device, the work space is unlocked and the out-of-compliance status is cleared.
    ... there's more that should be read"

So in this case what will happen depends of what is the security policy in your company . What I've seen the compliance rules are almost always enforced in organizations with BB devices activated on server licences for Regulated activation.
    What I've never tried is to try to disable the compliance rules, take out the SIM card and see if I can use the phone with WiFi as I can do that with a corporate activated phone.
    Last edited by BlackberryAtQuadra; 08-04-14 at 01:57 PM.
    08-04-14 01:47 PM