I don't know how many units are in question, but it seems like a good start for the Z3 in India.

BlackBerry Z3's initial stock sold out two weeks since launch - The Economic Times
    07-14-14 12:31 AM
    25-30 thousand is a good start!

Posted via CB10
    07-14-14 12:54 AM
    25-30 thousand is a good start!

Posted via CB10
    Not really. Lately BB is selling about 1.4M phones per quarter, that's about 15K per day. For Z3 sales let's go with the high number (30K) and assume 100% were sold. That means in a 2 week period the Z3 in India added 2 days' worth of regular (read: abysmal) BB sales. That's hardly a blip on the radar, and bear in mind that India is BB's largest market (raw numbers wise) and that phone sales in general tend to slow down after launch.

However, the initial high pricing now makes more sense. The whole story seems clear - Foxconn took no inventory risks and produced a very small # of Z3s. Knowing they had such a small number to work with, BB made the price a bit higher because a number so low will sell out anyway. Which they seem to have done. That much is good, if hardly significant.

It's totally understandable that Foxconn doesn't want the inventory risk, and it's understandable it caused BB to raise the price a bit. The hope is now that the initial small stock sold out Foxconn will be willing to produce a larger batch, and that this will coincide with a price drop from BB.
    eldricho likes this.
    07-14-14 06:33 PM
    I think both BlackBerry and Foxconn don't want inventory risk, not just Foxconn.

Posted via CB10
    07-14-14 07:04 PM
    I think both BlackBerry and Foxconn don't want inventory risk, not just Foxconn.

Posted via CB10
    I agree.

But I think with the z3 slowly gaining more traction at each new launch, they will slowly produce more inventory and we will see steady price drops to that sub 200 price everyone wants.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-14 12:27 PM