As it happened:
    I downloaded an "app" - can't reconstruct which one - deleted it again and...

henceforward the web browser became essentially unusable.

I found no setting where this could be fixed.

I put screenshots there:
    https://plus.google.com/photos/10061...K6hqriL9cfx7AE

Any suggestions how to get this fixed?

Thanks,
    07-13-14 01:36 AM
    Have you turned it off and on again?

Do you have a backup that you can restore? Else, use the Desktop Software or the newer BBLink (works with pb) to reload the OS.
    07-13-14 01:22 PM
    Have you turned it off and on again?

Do you have a backup that you can restore? Else, use the Desktop Software or the newer BBLink (works with pb) to reload the OS.
    Thanks -
    Turned off/on multiple times
    Hard reset (BB-PB 3-Finger Salute)

Backups via Desktop-Manager never worked - ended abnormal with some error. Last attempt to fix it was to turn off WiFi, behavior unchanged.

I have backups of my stuff over file system but interesting is that there the backup size is double - 27 G compressed for a 16 G memory PB. Seems that files under music are backed up there and again identical under ...android/music.

So - I bit the bullet and factory-reset the device, then installed the OS upgrade.

Browser fonts are OK and backups via Desktop-Manager works now, with WiFi on!

My thinking now is that the Backup- and Font issues are causes by some apps where the only remedy would be to back up the device before installing a new app.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    07-14-14 11:47 AM
    Thanks -
    Turned off/on multiple times
    Hard reset (BB-PB 3-Finger Salute)

Backups via Desktop-Manager never worked - ended abnormal with some error. Last attempt to fix it was to turn off WiFi, behavior unchanged.

I have backups of my stuff over file system but interesting is that there the backup size is double - 27 G compressed for a 16 G memory PB. Seems that files under music are backed up there and again identical under ...android/music.

So - I bit the bullet and factory-reset the device, then installed the OS upgrade.

Browser fonts are OK and backups via Desktop-Manager works now, with WiFi on!

My thinking now is that the Backup- and Font issues are causes by some apps where the only remedy would be to back up the device before installing a new app.
    A lot of people have been fooled by the apparent duplication in android folder. Apparently the files are just shortcuts or placeholders so android apps can find them:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-stuff-705128/
    07-14-14 06:55 PM
    I think you're wrong on both counts, and the backup and wipe were completely unnecessary. Your font problem was the result of what your first posted pic shows. In settings you had the font size set to 48, while the default setting would be 16. As to your backuo problem, see Gooseberry Falls' post. When manually backing up your Playbook, never back up the Misc folder (at least not in it entirety), or you'll get the results you saw.
    07-14-14 07:20 PM