I haven't seen it mentioned much in a while.... But with the Classic approaching it's release before this year's end, is anyone else wondering if Blackberry will soon announce EOL for OS 7 and legacy devices? Chen said Blackberry will support them indefinitely, but the whole motive behind the Classic is to scoop up those still clinging to their beloved Bolds and Curves. Where will the Classic release into the wild leave the legacys

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    07-12-14 10:48 AM
    07-12-14 10:50 AM
    IMO, BlackBerry could have done an upgrade program for all BBOS users.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-14 11:22 AM
    IMO, BlackBerry could have done an upgrade program for all BBOS users.

Posted via CB10
    Upgrade as far as device switching and trade-ins? Or like upgrading of software platforms in some way ?

07-12-14 12:06 PM
    I like the trade-in idea. Gives the legacy users a reason to upgrade it. I don't think that blackberry should remove the legacy devices though as they are still a big factor in their money making.

Posted via CB10
    sk8er_tor, eu gene and BKA22 like this.
    07-12-14 12:46 PM
    Something like, trade in your BBOS7 and get a BB10 phone for $200-300 or something like that. Or depending on the BB7 phone you have then that determines how much you get off a BB10 phone. Whatever, you know what I'm talking about.

IDK for a fact, but I assume BBOS7 phones have sold like they have after BlackBerry 10 phones released because of price difference and because people didn't even know BlackBerry 10 came out or that it existed.

When BlackBerry and T-Mobile did that trade your BBOS phone for another phone and if it's a BlackBerry 10 phone you get an extra $100, that was great.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-14 01:12 PM
    IDK for a fact, but I assume BBOS7 phones have sold like they have after BlackBerry 10 phones released because of price difference.
    Posted via CB10
    I don't think it is the price difference. If anything, the price difference should help BB10. The Q10 has pretty much always been less expensive than the Bold 9900 is. Even now, the Bold 9900 costs $100 more off contract and $50 more on contract than the Q10 does from my carrier. When I asked why that is, the manager told me that they sell the Bold, but can't give away the Q10 so they see no reason to lower the price of the Bold if people are still buying it at such high prices.

The BlackBerry Classic still won't be enough to replace the legacy OS for some users. Legacy is more than a track pad and the BlackBerry logo. Things like themes, icons for each individual account, quick launch, robust sound profiles, BIS, and other features are still loved by folks who can't find those things on BB10.

If jumping to BB10 from OS 7 causes you to lose the things you liked most about BlackBerry, why stick with BB at all? If you have to learn a new platform and lose those features, why not go with Android or iOS?

I think BB10's biggest problem is it focused too much on looking like MeeGo and running apps from Android and ultimately lost many of the things that people originally liked BlackBerry for in the first place.
    07-12-14 01:43 PM
    I think BB10's biggest problem is it focused too much on looking like MeeGo and running apps from Android and ultimately lost many of the things that people originally liked BlackBerry for in the first place.
    If market share is any indication, the vast majority of people who at one point liked BBOS were lost to android and iPhone. So criticizing BB10 for leaving some BBOS features behind probably isn't meaningful as far as keeping the company going.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-14 01:57 PM
    That's exactly the reason behind the Classic to begin with, yes.
    07-12-14 02:32 PM
    Not any time soon. They just re-released the 9900 so legacy isn't going anywhere for a while.
    07-12-14 02:36 PM
    I like the trade-in idea. Gives the legacy users a reason to upgrade it. I don't think that blackberry should remove the legacy devices though as they are still a big factor in their money making.

Posted via CB10
    That would be awesome because I still have my old Bold 9000 sitting in my drawer, lol.
    07-12-14 02:47 PM
    Not any time soon. They just re-released the 9900 so legacy isn't going anywhere for a while.
    To fill the (time) gap until the Classic arrives.
    07-12-14 05:01 PM
    To fill the (time) gap until the Classic arrives.
    So they are releasing a phone which people will buy and then say "sorry, going to get rid of BBOS, you need to buy a Classic."
    07-12-14 05:02 PM
    So they are releasing a phone which people will buy and then say "sorry, going to get rid of BBOS, you need to buy a Classic."
    This was what I had always heard was the plan from the very start of Blackberry announcing a phone that would have both BB10 and the belt. Throwing the bold back into manufacturing production was solely to soothe those BB legacy users who clung to their devices behind the main premise of the q10 not having a trackpad and physical talk/end buttons.

07-12-14 05:44 PM
    Nope I just meant to say that the people they target with the Classic + BES12 are the same people that are sitting on BES5 today and demanded the reintroduction of the Bold 9900. Stopping selling the 9900 != stopping supporting the entire OS.
    07-12-14 05:50 PM
    People still hanging on to their curves and bolds won't be rushing to get the classic as its initial price will likely be high.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-14 05:55 PM
    I like the trade in idea but sincr this phone will most likely be real expensive they will need to aak for a 200$ minimum off the classic to make it effective.

I can't see them releasing it for 400$ or anything.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-14 05:56 PM
    I haven't seen it mentioned much in a while.... But with the Classic approaching it's release before this year's end, is anyone else wondering if Blackberry will soon announce EOL for OS 7 and legacy devices? Chen said Blackberry will support them indefinitely, but the whole motive behind the Classic is to scoop up those still clinging to their beloved Bolds and Curves. Where will the Classic release into the wild leave the legacys

9900 was just re-released. It's not going away anytime soon as far as EOL. At least not for 2 more years.

Yes, the motive behind Classic is to get people who like BB for what it USED to be to buy a new device. Problem is....even with a belt...the Classic may still leave things behind, since, um, so much was left behind to begin with. Many OS7 users don't care (some may even despise) active frames that just get in your way. Or the fact that you can't put a real pop up app on BB10. Or you have no automatic Bedside, or charging contacts, or even just a darn notification icon tray of some sort. Or sound profiles. Or automatic display of messages when removing from case. Or desktop themes/widgets. The list goes on and on. Add in lack of apps that exist on OS7 but not on BB10, and you've got a lot of 9900 users content to just stay put. We shall see what happens with the classic....if it truly is the classic, or just New Coke.
    JeepBB likes this.
    07-12-14 06:03 PM
    9900 was just re-released. It's not going away anytime soon as far as EOL. At least not for 2 more years.

Yes, the motive behind Classic is to get people who like BB for what it USED to be to buy a new device. Problem is....even with a belt...the Classic may still leave things behind, since, um, so much was left behind to begin with. Many OS7 users don't care (some may even despise) active frames that just get in your way. Or the fact that you can't put a real pop up app on BB10. Or you have no automatic Bedside, or charging contacts, or even just a darn notification icon tray of some sort. Or sound profiles. Or automatic display of messages when removing from case. Or desktop themes/widgets. The list goes on and on. Add in lack of apps that exist on OS7 but not on BB10, and you've got a lot of 9900 users content to just stay put. We shall see what happens with the classic....if it truly is the classic, or just New Coke.
    Well I actually find comfort in encouraging words that BB OS7 will still be around for some time to come. I LOVED my little Curve 9350 and only gave it up because I had to. I'll be switching to the Q10 at the end of the month but if it doesn't work out for me for any reason, I'm going back to the legacy devices. I get that it lacks a lot of capabilities that other platforms have, including BB10, but the form factor is huge for me and I don't care for the ever-increasing size of phones these days... I think that's also a reason a lot of people still clutch their Bolds and Curves come what may

07-12-14 07:43 PM
    If market share is any indication, the vast majority of people who at one point liked BBOS were lost to android and iPhone. So criticizing BB10 for leaving some BBOS features behind probably isn't meaningful as far as keeping the company going.

Posted via CB10
    Well, looking at market share, I think we can all agree that creating a "me too" experience like BlackBerry 10 isn't going to keep the company going either. No matter how bad OS7 is doing, it is still doing more to help keep the company going than BB10 is.
    07-12-14 09:56 PM
    Well, looking at market share, I think we can all agree that creating a "me too" experience like BlackBerry 10 isn't going to keep the company going either. No matter how bad OS7 is doing, it is still doing more to help keep the company going than BB10 is.
    Actually that has switched over during the last quarter. More BB10 than BB7 devices sold.
    07-13-14 03:35 AM
    Actually that has switched over during the last quarter. More BB10 than BB7 devices sold.
    Yes, during the last earnings call, it was 65% BB10, compared to 35% BBOS.

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    07-13-14 07:53 AM

Posted via CB10
    You seem to be conflating two different factors by implying that BB's loss of user to IOS and Android was due to the now missing BBOS features.

The "vast majority who at one point liked BBOS" who were lost to android and iPhone most likely left for a few common reasons: Apps, larger screen, peer pressure / monumental propaganda. Many of them did so fully knowing the sacrifice they make and still to this day miss some of BBOS's core features.

BBOS fans who didn't leave BB and have BB10 waiting for them if they would simply buy a new BB, are still not switching because, for many of them, BBOS is still better.

So, leaving some features behind on BB was indeed a factor that has lost BB business. People weren't leaving BB for Android and iOS because they didn't like the features that BB eventually choose to leave behind, they left BB for the things BB didn't have: Apps, larger screen, peer acceptance.

BB eventually released a "just another glass slab"....except with no apps and nearly none of the great things it had before. So, it's not surprise at all.......I knew it the moment the Z10 was introduced......that it flopped. They didn't appeal to current users OR former users. They were a sterilized version of their former self. They still are.

And while the Q10 with it's physical keyboard sold more than Z10, (they kept a feature of BB that it's user like) they still sold less than legacy because they threw out the baby with the bath water. Many BB users simply choose to keep the old dirty bathwater so they could keep their baby.

Let's face it. BB had the worst strategy for future devices combined with the worst marketing ever in the history of consumer devices. This is what happens when you have engineers running companies and then suddenly that company gets........real competition.
    Last edited by redlightblinking; 07-13-14 at 08:18 AM.
    JeepBB and BeautyEh like this.
    07-13-14 08:05 AM
    In my opinion many posters on CB assume that current legacy phone users are a monolithic group that prefers BBOS to BB10. The most likely scenario is that their old devices still meet their limited needs and that when their phone breaks they are likely wanting to replace it with another low end device.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    07-13-14 08:31 AM
    In my opinion many posters on CB assume that current legacy phone users are a monolithic group that prefers BBOS to BB10. The most likely scenario is that their old devices still meet their limited needs and that when their phone breaks they are likely wanting to replace it with another low end device.

Posted via CB10
    What's another "low end device", and why do you categorize BBOS as a "low end device". Isn't that term completely subjective?

Also, just curious why you think those people who have an older device that still meets their limited needs wouldn't just get a BB10 phone if their current phone breaks?
    07-13-14 09:16 AM
117 123 ...