Being a new father I had this thought in my head the other day. I wonder what would be the best phone to give a child when they're old enough. I'm thinking far ahead on a personal basis but generally, at this point in time, what do you think would be the best phone?

I'm talking all rounder. Security, privacy, STRAIGHT UP LOCKDOWN (only messing lol), parental locking tools/apps, monitoring, apps in general, ease of use etc etc.

I would guess BlackBerry is the best for security, but other than that I'm intrigued.
    07-10-14 08:33 AM
    BlackBerry 10 has parental control features

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-10-14 08:34 AM
    Well since your a new father I would assume your baby is just born, so congrats that means you have probably 10-15 yrs of waiting to the baby gets a phone right. Who knows what's around then.

But since this is a BlackBerry fan site and I love BlackBerry I would say buy a BlackBerry for your child

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-10-14 08:41 AM
    Well since your a new father I would assume your baby is just born, so congrats that means you have probably 10-15 yrs of waiting to the baby gets a phone right. Who knows what's around then.

But since this is a BlackBerry fan site and I love BlackBerry I would say buy a BlackBerry for your child

Posted via CB10
    First of all thank you. But I was wondering what would be the best phone now, I know I don't need to think about it really, but I'm genuinely intrigued as to what's out there and what sort of features phones have to assist parents?
    07-10-14 08:57 AM
    3 years ago I was visiting Japan and a local friend there had a 3 or 4 year old that had his own phone. It was small and light enough to be worn on a lanyard around his neck and it would only call his parents' phone. It auto-answered when they would call him. Their reasoning for letting him have a phone so young was that he was a fairly rambunctious and with so many people in Tokyo, they were worried that he could become lost or worse. I like the idea and it worked well. Dont remember he brand or model, but it seemed pretty sturdy.
    07-10-14 09:22 AM
    The cheapest phone they can destroy.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-14 09:22 AM
    If I had a 10yrld and wanted to give them a phone I'd get them a Blackberry Q5 or Z3, Xperia C3, Motorola Moto E or a Galaxy S4 Mini.
    07-10-14 09:24 AM
    3 years ago I was visiting Japan and a local friend there had a 3 or 4 year old that had his own phone. It was small and light enough to be worn on a lanyard around his neck and it would only call his parents' phone. It auto-answered when they would call him. Their reasoning for letting him have a phone so young was that he was a fairly rambunctious and with so many people in Tokyo, they were worried that he could become lost or worse. I like the idea and it worked well. Dont remember he brand or model, but it seemed pretty sturdy.
    I like the idea of the phone but not the lanyard. More likely to get stolen if the phone is around the neck on display.

If I had a 10yrld and wanted to give them a phone I'd get them a Blackberry Q5 or Z3, Xperia C3, Motorola Moto E or a Galaxy S4 Mini.
    Apart from the BlackBerry's, what would make you choose the Xperia, Motorola and Galaxy? In fact, what would make you choose the BlackBerry's aswell?
    07-10-14 11:15 AM
    Hopefully by the time you need one, a water/shock/sugar/crayon/ketchup resistant smart watch with integrated cell phone capability.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-14 11:32 AM
    Whatever they can afford to pay for every month! lol I plan on putting a GPS tracking device in my son when he gets a little older, I suppose I could incorporate a two-way radio. . .
    07-10-14 11:37 AM
    iPhone, iPhone are so simple, a zombie could use them. My autistic nephew uses an iPad and loves the thing.
    07-10-14 11:56 AM
    Take a look at this video 'how easy it is for a child to use BlackBerry 10'

Posted via CB10
    07-10-14 12:08 PM
    Rajan...I think it's a Z10 being used in the video?

Posted via CB10
    07-10-14 12:39 PM
    There used to be something called a 'Firefly'. Not sure if it's still made. It could be set that only 5 numbers could be called and it was pretty sturdy.

I'm sure if you do a Web search something similar is out there.

Congrats on being a new Dad!

Posted via CB10
    07-10-14 01:14 PM
    Motorola give out the most radiation.
    07-10-14 01:35 PM
    Whatever is in your used phone drawer lol. Then when they break it, you can just give them another one. Start collecting now lol.

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.3247 O2 UK
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-10-14 02:01 PM
    Not sure about which phone, my kids started with flip phones, but Verizon has awesome parental controls. I can limit the times they can use texting, and limit numbers they can call. And when they did get their first smart phone, I could limit the internet based on age.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-14 02:28 PM
    Kindle Tablets have some interesting controls that parents can set... not sure how different the Phone OS is going to be.

Have Grandkids, and we have BlackBerry, Android, Kindle and Apple tablets around when the family gets together. The kids all want to play with the iPads. The Android Tablet has most of the same games, but the navigation is just not as simple. PlayBook... none of today's games work on it. Kindle, the UI is better than the Nexus tablet, but some games aren't there either or they don't have the levels that the newer versions have.

I imagine the same would hold true for phones - except with BB10 we have a never runtime and a larger percentage, but not all apps now work.

Do yourself and your kids a favor.... just ask them. You don't want to buy them a BlackBerry have to hear how it can't do this or everyone at school laughs at them.
    07-10-14 02:43 PM
    Fisher Price

Posted via CB10
    07-10-14 02:56 PM
    A flip phone without a camera! Cheap durable and definitely secure. They don't need a browser or email or even apps on a phone.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-14 03:14 PM
    I recommend BlackBerry Q5

Not only does it have the parental control feature, it cannot run games as well as other larger screen phones, so your child will not spend much time playing games.

It's also quite sturdy unlike the larger screen phones that can break easy.

Posted via CB10 using Blackberry Q10
    07-10-14 03:16 PM
    I like the idea of the phone but not the lanyard. More likely to get stolen if the phone is around the neck on display.

Apart from the BlackBerry's, what would make you choose the Xperia, Motorola and Galaxy? In fact, what would make you choose the BlackBerry's aswell?
    All great value for money phones, they cover all the basics very well and are good devices, out of all of them the Motorola Moto E is probably what I'd get my kid.
    07-10-14 03:46 PM
    They don't need a phone

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-10-14 04:17 PM
    For kids, you can't go wrong with Fuhu if you don't require them to have actual cell service. All four of my kids have been very entertained with Fuhu products over the years and they can be locked down very well and will survive being handled by a little one. Now all of my youngins have graduated to Moto Gs, but each of the Fuhu made devices we've had in the house still work.
    07-10-14 05:37 PM
    I let my 2 year old use my old iPad and iPhone...it's not that I think they're better for kids, it's that I don't care if he destroys them.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-14 08:23 PM
29 12