I get that this has been beat to death, but it's my turn. I just revived my PB per this forum's advice on stack charging a dead PB. What an awesome device(albeit out of date and a really slow browser)! It's still my favorite tablet, but it's not the one I use daily.

Come on, Mr Chen. Build a new one already! There is so much to love here, and now that you have BB10 cranking along nicely you can capture an ecosystem with one simple addition. Make a giant Z30, or a tablet sized Passport (with LTE! ). Or, just give us a decent browser for the PB we have. Just give us this PB form factor on the best OS out there!

I'm not a fan boy because I like Blackberries . I'm a fan boy because BlackBerry devices do the most work with the most manageable UI.

Mr. Chen- call me. Let's talk. I can help you understand what this device means to your (would be) user base.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-14 07:45 AM
    I imagine they have several new PlayBooks.... It's a matter of putting them into production.

Think Chen knows that right now a Tablet is not a device that BlackBerry is in a position to offer competitively. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Tablet in the future, but it will be a "professional" tablet with a "professional" price that will allow BlackBerry to make a profit on the lower volume they would expect.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    07-10-14 08:00 AM
    Yes I understand and agree. I'm simply being a voice expressing what's on my wish list. Who knows...maybe he's taking a poll. I'm voting for a full ecosystem.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-14 08:41 AM
    I should add that I'm looking for a "professional" product, so I'm good with a "Professional" price. This is in keeping with the direction Mr Chen is driving for BlackBerry. Its the thing they do well. And, I'm their target market. So again, please have Mr Chen's secretary call my secretary. Let's do lunch.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-14 09:11 AM
    A BB10 tablet would be awesome. Probably off the table for near future. But maybe in year or two it will be seriously considered.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-14 09:31 AM
    Yes I understand and agree. I'm simply being a voice expressing what's on my wish list. Who knows...maybe he's taking a poll. I'm voting for a full ecosystem.

Posted via CB10
    He's more interested in the poll that was taken over the last three years, where people voted with their pocketbooks.

You are right that a tablet is need if BlackBerry is going to offer business the "tools" that they want.... Tablets are making huge inroads into the business sector, and if a company has to manage an iPad, why not an iPhone. But the fact that business aren't buying BB10 devices in vast numbers, means that a Tablet is going to be an ever harder sell. IF BES12 is picked up by companies and IF BB10 devices like the "Classic" start be bought in large numbers... the Tablet will come.
    ZayDub likes this.
    07-10-14 09:37 AM
    My PB is my only tablet. My kid has a new iPad Mini and it is faster bit the audio and video is not as good. I am willing to trade browser speed, that I actually do not find that bad, for audio and video.

I do not see it as a dead, dying or, obsolete product. Consider all those poor guys still running around with tablets running Android 2.0 and 2.1 for gosh sakes.

I would like to see BB come back with another as good as this one was at the time it was developed but would wish it included USB 3.x with bidirectional capability so thumb drives or outboard hard drives could be attached and better support for accessories like printers. I am actually fine with the current OS though the native apps stand some improvement. The browser is not as much a problem for me as the audio, video and file manager. Some apps not longer are supported such as the Podcast, sadly. I also would like in the app store a checkbooks or something to indicate if it is a native app or one of those Android sideload Frankenstein.

Right now Chen has to stabilize the revenue flow and product offerings rather than venture into the tablet market again and risk substantial negative cash flow and another failure. Having worked into the turnaround industry I agree with his current approach and direction. Turnarounds are also crapshoot at best and betting on a phablet or whatever it is called may be a better roll than a tablet at this time. But, it needs to be brought put on the right side of the market curve and with no errors as the PB originally had. Of course if say the DoD were to spec a need for a secure tablet and willing to fund development BB with QNX might be in the fight again at the US government's expense. With what is happening with Google and Apple it might happen. Who wants a tablet in a sub calculating shooting coordinates that at the same time is being fed advertising and feeding back the GPS coordinates of its location.
    07-10-14 11:01 AM
    I get that this has been beat to death, but it's my turn. I just revived my PB per this forum's advice on stack charging a dead PB. What an awesome device(albeit out of date and a really slow browser)! It's still my favorite tablet, but it's not the one I use daily.

Come on, Mr Chen. Build a new one already! There is so much to love here, and now that you have BB10 cranking along nicely you can capture an ecosystem with one simple addition. Make a giant Z30, or a tablet sized Passport (with LTE! ). Or, just give us a decent browser for the PB we have. Just give us this PB form factor on the best OS out there!

I'm not a fan boy because I like Blackberries . I'm a fan boy because BlackBerry devices do the most work with the most manageable UI.

Mr. Chen- call me. Let's talk. I can help you understand what this device means to your (would be) user base.

Posted via CB10
    I believe that the upcoming Passport device is actually a micro-PlayBook (half size) but square. Exactly what you're looking for but different.
    07-10-14 11:10 AM
    I'm pretty sure that the PlayBook (like the Z30) supports USB OTG - so that you can hook up other devices even if it's not USB3.0 directly.
    07-10-14 11:30 AM
    I believe that the upcoming Passport device is actually a micro-PlayBook (half size) but square. Exactly what you're looking for but different.
    Ha! Exactly my thoughts. The Passport likely inverts my problem. It MIGHT meet my tablet needs, but then requires two hands to handle a phone call, text, etc...

Ergo, I'd still like to do lunch, Mr Chen. I'm buying.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-14 01:13 PM
    Somehow I doubt that John Chen is surfing the crackberry playbook forums...

Posted via CB10
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    07-10-14 02:23 PM
    Yes, this issue has been beaten into the ground, yet, I read a recent article which said do not throw away your PlayBook yet. The article mentioned there is a possibility for a tablet in the future, even another update to the present operating system. Something is in the works, and, when the tablet does surface,it will be like you said, with a hefty price, but, I think this time it will sell...patience is all we have now.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-14 07:18 PM
    I think this is sort of pointless anymore. With BlackBerry shutting down their video and music stores, with the native podcast app going away, and with consumer apps being outsourced to the Amazon app store it is sort of pointless to release a tablet that is going to rely on android to accomplish anything besides email and Web browsing.

My PlayBook will be my last tablet as a result...

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    07-12-14 04:17 PM
    I'm pretty sure that the PlayBook (like the Z30) supports USB OTG - so that you can hook up other devices even if it's not USB3.0 directly.
    PlayBook does not support USB OTG. The Z30 ( not even the Z10) is the first BlackBerry device to support USB OTG.

Posted via CB10 using my Z30.
    07-13-14 08:47 AM
    PlayBook does not support USB OTG. The Z30 ( not even the Z10) is the first BlackBerry device to support USB OTG.

Posted via CB10 using my Z30.
    The PB has the hardware and ages ago some hackers got it working. But it was never implemented in any official way.
    07-13-14 01:12 PM
    I should add that I'm looking for a "professional" product, so I'm good with a "Professional" price. This is in keeping with the direction Mr Chen is driving for BlackBerry. Its the thing they do well. And, I'm their target market. So again, please have Mr Chen's secretary call my secretary. Let's do lunch.

Posted via CB10
    The PB ended amateur hour years ago when it launched as a Professional Tablet. Sadly, it never reached that status, truly.
    07-13-14 01:13 PM
    Lets split the difference and add 6" screen on a z30, give it a slight processor & gpu ugrade, call it the z36 (because that sounds cool).
    07-13-14 01:34 PM
    I was never interested in an unfinished, small, and high aspect ratio PlayBook, but now I would have bought a 12" BB10 tablet instead of an Android.
    07-13-14 01:41 PM
    USBOTG requires requires a rooted PlayBook, which is no longer possible for most of us. Rooted BlackBerry PlayBook can read USB flash drives - Liliputing
    07-13-14 10:13 PM
    It's just too bad BBRY doesn't do limited runs for group purchases. If they do have some test tablets they're not producing for the mass market, it's too bad really that they won't do a "pilot" test by selling group purchases to those who are willing to knowingly throw their cash at another test product. Why not see if they can get a group of 100k, 250k, 500k, or even a million people to sign up for a limited run? If successful, they can do another batch. I go into group purchases for car parts, I wouldn't mind doing the same thing for an upgraded PlayBook.
    07-14-14 11:52 AM
    Kick starter project? Custom bb10? Using leakes?

Posted via CB10
    07-14-14 01:08 PM