Not sure if anyone has experienced a ferocious battery drain when your phone is in a sketchy network reception area. My z10 eats battery when in an area like this. It would be nice to have a setting that would allow you to control how aggressively / how often it searches and reconnects or have an automatic cascade down to lesser connectivity levels e.g.if LTE is sporadic, back off to one of the 3G levels and abandon trying LTE for the session

Thoughts ?
    Last edited by greatgretschsound; 07-09-14 at 10:25 AM.
    07-09-14 10:08 AM
    My Z10 is similar. My connection is via WiFi Calling because my cell signal is so weak at home, but it still kills the battery as it tries and retries to reestablish the connection. I turned off LTE but it seems to have helped only a little bit.
    07-09-14 10:15 AM
    Yes, when traveling through remote parts of Utah this May, I had to watch carefully or I could blow most of the power where there were no signals. Even today, on a hike east of Seattle, no signal and power was slipping.
    07-09-14 06:45 PM
    These phones hate searching for signal. My z10, q10, and z30 are all the same

Posted via CB10
    07-09-14 09:01 PM
    This isn't unique to BlackBerry devices as this article makes clear: Why LTE sucks (your battery, that is) — Tech News and Analysis

Two big reasons that LTE is a power hog is the lack of network build out, which makes more areas fringe, and the lack of deployed packet switched phone service. LTE does not provide any circuit switched service, the way most voice calls are handled. So in order to be able to make or accept phone calls in a typical network an LTE device must also keep track of a HSPA+, UTMS, EVDO or GSM network. This will improve.

Dropping down to 3G is not necessarily the answer either. UTMS (3G) has some power management issues. So much so that the increased speed of HSPA+ comes from managing power better across the network. Sadly it can be hard to tell what technology you are being serviced with because of the marketing value of 4G vs 3G. I actually get better battery performance in fringe LTE areas than a normal UTMS area because the UTMS network is near capacity which causes power issues.

All this to say that there aren't any easy solutions. Which is probably why the phones don't try to do anything smart yet. You have to find what works for you in your area.
    07-10-14 10:38 AM
    Something also happens on my Z10. At low signal locations it eats a lot of battery. About 30 to 40% in 5 hours without even using the phone.
    07-10-14 11:53 AM
    Same thing here. Mine will get sucked dry in under an hour in a week signal area.
    07-10-14 01:40 PM
    I have to ask, do other devices react differently in low signal areas? I know what we drove to Sun Valley, Id, my friend's iphone (older model, I think) also was sucked dry in areas with poor coverage. And she did not bring a car charger. At least, I could charge my z10.
    07-10-14 03:39 PM
    I have to ask, do other devices react differently in low signal areas? I know what we drove to Sun Valley, Id, my friend's iphone (older model, I think) also was sucked dry in areas with poor coverage. And she did not bring a car charger. At least, I could charge my z10.
    Well the article I linked to wasn't talking about BlackBerrys, so yeah they do.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-14 04:06 PM