I have BlackBerry Link 1.2.3.23 installed on my PC. I have tried to upgrade to a newer version, but every time, it tries to uninstall the older version first, and asks for blackberrylink.msi.

I have had no luck in removing this from my XP machine. I have searched old backups and can not find this file anywhere.

So I'm hoping someone can point me to the install package for 1.2.3.23 or has some other suggestions at this point.
    07-08-14 05:27 AM
    I dont have a Link for 1.2.3.23, but have you tried to clean your registry and install the newest version after that?
    07-08-14 05:35 AM
    Does link play nicely with XP these days, I'm sure Ive seen threads suggesting difficulties. The registry clean should help but remember to place wanted data on a removeable drive so that you don't inadvertently remove say back up files.
    I may have the file you need but my numbering system has it filed under 1.2.3.b022?
    07-08-14 07:06 AM
    I'm going to make a back up of my system first and then I'm going to try and manually remove the registry entries and then update to the latest version.

As for link and XP, I've never really had any problems until I tried to update from this version I'm running now.
    07-08-14 04:06 PM
    Use Ccleaner to clean up the registry...
    07-08-14 09:22 PM
    Use Ccleaner to clean up the registry...
    I'll give it a try.
    07-08-14 10:08 PM
    I think you may still have to remove "registry keys" manually then use Ccleaner to mop up the remnants as you said you were unable to delete the program from the uninstall control panel.
    07-09-14 02:59 AM
    That is what I've done. Went in with msconfig to do a minimal bootup, deleted files, deleted registry entries, ran ccleaner to clean the mess, and I'm in the middle of booting up to see if everything is okay now.
    07-09-14 03:51 AM
    Okay. I'm at a loss. I have deleted all files in program files\research in motion except for print to go, deleted all files in program files\common files\research in motion, deleted all registry entries under hkey_local_machine\software\research in motion except print to go.

I then ran ccleaner to clean up the mess. I then rebooted and ran ccleaner again to check, and it was clean.

There's no trace of link in add / remove programs, and no BlackBerry services installed.

I then attempt to install the latest version of link and it's the same story. It wants to uninstall the old version, and is asking for BlackBerry Link.msi

I even tried pointing it to the directory where the latest version is, just to see if it would work. No luck.

What have I missed??
    07-09-14 04:27 AM
    I would use the search facility in the edit tab of the registry, if you haven't already. Click find put research in motion and or BlackBerry link. This will find any reference even from downloads which are in essence not open, so read the command line before removal then click find next until you have worked through the registry starting from "computer". Sorry if you have already done all of this, hopefully you have backed up all info onto separate external drive.
    Note each section ie classes root, current user, machine, user, current config, can hold keys.
    07-09-14 05:28 AM
    The new version has been installed. I was using the search feature in the registry but there were many entries. I decided to look for "BlackBerry Link.msi" and found two entries relating to the install, although there were other matches. I deleted those two entries, as well as all the "hardware" drivers in the device manager, and I was able to install the new version.

I only have one other problem, and I'm not sure if there is a fix for it. On my Z10, under BlackBerry Link, I now have two entries for my PC, one with a "-1" after it. The original one, I am unable to delete although I can access my computer through the second one.

Any way to delete the original entry?

And I seriously hope I never have to go through this again! This was a real pain. BlackBerry should release an app for the PC and Mac that will wipe clean any installed BlackBerry software!
    07-09-14 11:00 PM
    If you search the forum I think that there is a way of doing this. The issue with a duplicate record may be a remnant let in the registry, did you Ccleaner after the install, well done for getting it up and running.
    07-10-14 03:17 AM
    If you search the forum I think that there is a way of doing this. The issue with a duplicate record may be a remnant let in the registry, did you Ccleaner after the install, well done for getting it up and running.
    Yes. I used ccleaner to clean things up. It was a big help. Thanks!
    daveycrocket likes this.
    07-10-14 03:20 PM