Nearly every article I read about BlackBerry refers to the company as "the struggling smartphone maker". Is the public largely unaware of their other software projects and partnerships, or is it just a way to portray the company negatively? Has BlackBerry done anything to promote their non-smartphone projects? It could really help them out.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by audio_Rx; 07-08-14 at 01:33 PM.
    07-07-14 10:55 PM
    Like most things, people don't read or listen for themselves to know the full story. It's just easier to accept what's put out in the media. You see it each and every day in every portion of the news just like celeb rumors lol and to be fair, BlackBerry hasn't really helped that themselves either.

They're getting better at controlling the message but they should have started that years ago, so the damage has been done for a lot of folks and they're going to have a tough time to gain that ground again.

There's also the argument that they are still struggling. After all they're not 100% healthy yet either, that is why Chen is there. Even he admits the company is not where they need to be though, they have a much better chance now and are working toward it faster than expected.

There has been a lot of 'positive' stuff lately though, if you look hard enough the positive stuff is filtering to the top despite some of the other crap that is out there, which is one thing BlackBerry needs. They need more people actually questioning the mis-information that is out there about them and when people do that, it's good.
    Jrox74, playbookster and johnm137 like this.
    07-07-14 11:12 PM
    BlackBerry's primary business at this point is still smartphone sales and associated services. Ultimately their acquisitions like QNX, were made in order to support their smartphones. I don't see too much wrong with that description, and don't think it's anything intentionally malicious on the part of most media outlets. Phones are what they are still known for. And they are, unfortunately, still struggling. You just hope that the recent better than expected financials get equal play as well.
    TgeekB likes this.
    07-07-14 11:14 PM
    Like most things, people don't read or listen for themselves to know the full story. It's just easier to accept what's put out in the media. You see it each and every day in every portion of the news just like celeb rumors lol and to be fair, BlackBerry hasn't really helped that themselves either.

They're getting better at controlling the message but they should have started that years ago, so the damage has been done for a lot of folks and they're going to have a tough time to gain that ground again.

There's also the argument that they are still struggling. After all they're not 100% healthy yet either, that is why Chen is there. Even he admits the company is not where they need to be though, they have a much better chance now and are working toward it faster than expected.

There has been a lot of 'positive' stuff lately though, if you look hard enough the positive stuff is filtering to the top despite some of the other crap that is out there, which is one thing BlackBerry needs. They need more people actually questioning the mis-information that is out there about them and when people do that, it's good.
    Well said Bla1ze. I do see some positives rising in the media. It's slowly getting harder to mindlessly bash BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-14 09:06 AM
    Handset sales are still slumping. Sure, we can separate out the OS7 inevitable decline and point to promising increases in BB10 sales, but the overall figure last quarter was yet another drop. So I'm not sure what is unreasonable about that description - it will continue until the sales decline unwinds and positive growth is shown.
    07-08-14 09:21 AM
    I think struggling is correct. They haven't proven anything yet

Posted via CB10
    07-08-14 09:35 AM
    I'm just saying there's more to the company than phones, and sticking the "struggling smartphone maker" label on them isn't a very positive thing for the brand name. I understand that it's correct, but there should be something BlackBerry can do to alleviate the negativity that it denotes (besides the obvious, which is start selling more phones).

Posted via CB10
    07-08-14 01:37 PM
    I'm just saying there's more to the company than phones, and sticking the "struggling smartphone maker" label on them isn't a very positive thing for the brand name. I understand that it's correct, but there should be something BlackBerry can do to alleviate the negativity that it denotes (besides the obvious, which is start selling more phones).
    Operations that cater to business don't get all that much press. Chen's former company Sybase is huge and successful in their market but if you ask people on the street who that is and what they do they couldn't tell you. So we're left with the consumer end which is smartphones which is struggling.
    07-08-14 02:17 PM
    How many of BlackBerry's "other" projects do we have details on??

How soon will any of those projects be capable of a positive revenue stream??

How much of BlackBerry's Services revenues are based on BlackBerry hardware??

Right now BlackBerry for the most part is promoting what they can....
    07-08-14 02:47 PM