Re/Code recently posted the full interview which gives some further insight into John Chen's approach to turning BlackBerry around if you haven't watched it yet.

Not a fan of Walt Mossberg and the manner he asks some of his questions but shows how skilled John Chen is in countering them.

Some key points:
    - he's been in the mobile business for some time and trailblazed in mobile components before anyone else (Sybase). One can infer he will try something before everyone else.
    - confident BlackBerry can be turned around as there's some great value in the company
    - Foxconn deal was key to stabilize and risk manage
    - BlackBerry Passport is being showcased to telecoms companies around the world and they like it.
    - Passport is more designed for enterprise use. One earlier design was tied to healthcare applications with a secure system for medical professionals and patients.
    - Passport can also be a pleasing personal consumer device.
    - Can show a lot of value to shareholders even without the hardware business but believes there can be even more staying in it.
    - has a plan to make money in it but market will tell him if BlackBerry should stay in hardware.
    - Good design is key to market segments and he hopes with the right design, there could be a resurgence.
    - Understands the application development challenges and working on it and hasn't quite figured out innovative to tie in BlackBerry's strengths yet in security, productivity, collaboration, etc and into other ecosystems. However, will be doing it in the vertical world.
    - BlackBerry can run Android apps and can't comment on how Android will play a role for BlackBerry (I'm sure he already knew the Amazon deal being worked out at this time)
    - realized self-inflicted issue of separate infrastructures with OS5, OS7, BB10 that made them lose customers. BES12 will fix that come November allowing management of all BB OS', Android, iOS and Windows
    - BlackBerry EZ pass program on its way to bring back customers with a free trade in from their competitors license to BlackBerry's and monetize when companies buy new licenses on top of it. Two levels of security. Basic secure and very secure. Can't sell insecure (to correct Walt). Expects to monetize on BES12 support January 2015.
    - Focus is enterprise but can't comment on past management decisions but felt BlackBerry cast their net too broad moving into the consumer space and didn't focus on value for the enterprise. Shouldn't have fought the BYOD movement and was wrong. Focus back on BlackBerry as an end-to-end solution for companies.
    - Wants BlackBerry to go into the Internet of Things world and securely connect everything in a couple of years.
    - IoT world isn't just about handsets. For IoT to be useful, security is needed.
    - BlackBerry needs to leverage their expertise, patents, intellectual property and heritage.
    - BlackBerry is not focusing on selling to the individual, but the enterprise/company that sells to the individual. QNX in cars.
    - Easier to make money off BBM in consumer world with virtual goods like stickers and movies. However, bigger play is in enterprise BBM (not stopping though on what's working consumer wise) hooking into a secure and complaint messaging portal. Mentions one of the products is BBM Protect.
    - BBM on Android/iOS is less pervasive in North America but more in South Africa, Indonesia, Malaysia, Brazil, etc.
    - Chen would like to talk to Ryan Seacrest (he was at Re/Code LOL) on licensing BlackBerry IP but lawyers have advised him not to comment on ongoing lawsuits.
    - BlackBerry as a Canadian company, is one of the countries in the Five Eyes intelligence partnership and indicates why when asked what's your China plan "it's not as simple as you think".
    - acknowledges the need and will push for BBM messaging security for individuals BUT it will take the telcos/carriers to offer that service through the BlackBerry network (NOC). Something that is definitely worth exploring.

Posted via CB10
    SubCamp, Timbosaurus and mithrazor like this.
    07-05-14 08:51 AM
    Awesome, thanks for sharing!

Posted via CB10 C000DAC91
    07-05-14 09:17 AM
    Thanks for the summary. What I like about Chen is how he compartmentalizes the various aspects of BlackBerry into short, medium and long term projects. It's nice to see the balance and to know that long term ideas are not being sacrificed at the alter of short term profitability. Chen is the real deal and a cash positive scenario is clearly within sites in the next 6-9 months.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-14 09:45 AM
    Great interview. Thanks for the link...he mentions about the device there which will be used by medical practitioners..a "la Passport"

Posted from my SuperHuman Q10
    07-05-14 09:47 AM
    Good to know blackberry trying to take all aspects regarding consumer demands and securities. Keep It Up John Chen.
    07-05-14 09:48 AM
    The interview where we have the dumbest question ever asked by a hi-tech "journalist": "I want security on my phone but is security that important in my house?" (when they talk about machines-to-machines over internet)
    I feel sorry for Walt Mossberg too, as he clearly doesn't like blackberry and shows it too obviously, and could make it clearer as he was always pulling a face while listening to Mr. Chen.
    Not to mention Mossberg blatant ignorance when he declares:"why BlackBerry ? You never were in mobile before!" and Chen to bury him with a "I was already in mobile in 2000 with Sybase way before anyone else knew it even existed" (BoOoUuuM go back to your Apple toys Walt)
    I remember he asked questions about Blackberry and android: he meant that in a bad way as if you make an Android phone then Blackberry will disappear soon after, while Chen only says he can't answer, that depends of the money on the table (and don't see it as a failure but an opportunity and now with the Amazon deal we can see the difference between an Apple fan "journalist"/P.R. and a wise business man focused on saving a company).
    The attack from Mossberg on BBM ("I don't know a soul using it") was quite insulting, particularly when you compare it with the way he licks anything coming from Cook's mouth in other interviews.
    Of course not a word about BB10 originality (that would be copied soon after by Apple in iOS8...).
    Shameful interviewers, and patient and courageous Mr. Chen, I would have been more touchy in front of that sort of flippant disdain.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by BroncoVAL; 07-05-14 at 02:12 PM.
    Grafic111 likes this.
    07-05-14 10:04 AM
    I'm even more convinced Chen is the right man for the job!

Posted via CB10
    07-05-14 10:31 AM
    That guy seems to close minded to be talking about any technology.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-14 11:12 AM