View Poll Results: Google Play Services a deal breaker for you?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Google Play a Must thinking about moving to Android

7 7.87%
  • Google Play would be nice but not needed.

38 42.70%
  • Google Play not Needed Happy with BB offerings.

47 52.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Sorry to say i need to move on from BB10. More and more of my business and personal applications I need won't run without Google Play.
    I love my Z30 but if I can't run my apps I need a Android. Not to heartbroken up though; look what's out there or coming down the pipe. The G3 , possible Nexus 6, New Samsung Note ect. Soon the HUB being the only thing I might miss will be found on the Android platform is some similar form and the new clean architecture in the next version of Android L is very appealing. I was a apple fan boy woke up and seem to keep being pushed to a more open and flexible platform. Who else is thinking about leaving BlackBerry because of this and do you think Google Play will never come to BB? I believe if BlackBerry is truly focusing on the corporate user and feel that they do not need Google Services to support that client they are limiting who will buy the current and future generation BlackBerry phones. I look at the next generation of non touch screen phones and it does not do anything for me I can't type on a non touch screen keypad! But the lack of working on my google docs, google g-spreadsheets is my breaking point cant wait any longer.
    07-04-14 12:04 PM
    Adios, amigo. Have fun..

Posted via CB10 from my Z30
    07-04-14 12:05 PM
    It's saddening to see us lose another user, but if the Z can't run them and you need them, it's indeed better that you move on to a device that will run those apps. Have fun and good luck with your new device OP!

PS. You don?t have to use a BlackBerry to visit CrackBerry, so don't be a stranger

Posted via CB10
    07-04-14 12:09 PM
    There are many, many phones that do not support Google Play Services. So many, in fact, that at least some vendors do two versions of their Android apps so that non GPlay users can use them too.
    yciwolf and Gatmyer like this.
    07-04-14 12:11 PM
    No need to start a new thread to announce you're leaving. Post in here http://forums.crackberry.com/general...thread-260887/ and be done with it.

So long, farewell, au wiedersehen, goodbye
    Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye
    Goodbye
    07-04-14 12:15 PM
    Good point thanks never bought a Android device yet have to look into that, I will keep my Z30, like my Z10 and 4 Playbooks that the family uses in case things do change.
    07-04-14 12:21 PM
    Was not my intention to focus my point about leaving, more of a question if anyone else feels they need Google Play services to make the BB10 a workable eco system to the average Joe.
    07-04-14 12:23 PM
    One of the primary reasons I use BlackBerry is to get as far away from the G borg as possible. While not fully out of view of its all seeing eye, as far as possible.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-14 12:29 PM
    Good luck. Soon enough I might give up too, I just need to see what amazon will offer us. Besides I can't leave my clash of clans progress behind.

Via CB10 on Z10STL100-2/10.3.0.296
    07-04-14 12:29 PM
    To the opposite, I was a nexus line user and now a BlackBerry 10.

I used to be in front of the line among my friends when it came to phones.. I used to preach about Android...

But, you have to try for yourself and learn the hard way why BlackBerry is better.

I don't miss anything Android, because in its core Android was and still is buggy/laggy which is not even the main concern, Security.

Good luck to you

Posted via CB10
    07-04-14 12:30 PM
    i wonder what business apps require google play
    moody, Q10Bold and PHughes like this.
    07-04-14 12:33 PM
    Was not my intention to focus my point about leaving, more of a question if anyone else feels they need Google Play services to make the BB10 a workable eco system to the average Joe.
    Again, not all Android devices use GPlay. Amazon's devices don't. The Nokia X doesn't.

Any publishers who want to be on these platforms need to either make their app not depend on GPlay, or produce an alternate version. Many publishers avoid GPlay because they don't want to limit their potential market.

I doubt that BlackBerry ever could make BB10 compatible with GPlay. They'd have to drop BB10 and adopt Android.

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7
    07-04-14 12:35 PM
    I use a third party solution for Google drive but the mobile site works fine for this as well. My work Gmail and Google calendar are fine on my Z10. What services from Google are you missing for your business OP?

Posted via CB10
    07-04-14 12:43 PM
    Well if i get a LG G3 and it sucks I always have all of my iPhone's , and the Z10, Z30 , you maybe right always leave your options open. Good to see how many of us are very passionate about our mobile devices and vocal advocates about the thing we love/hate. I still dont think there is a perfect eco system/hardware . I loved my Nokia's N80 , my iPhones and my BB10 phones. Now if someone could make a device, read my mind- make a mash up of all the things I love about all the different platforms and hardware and presto...year 2050?
    07-04-14 12:44 PM
    I need Google Drive that is editable and works , I tried a co-workers Galaxy S3 and it was great for that purpose making changes on the go. I also lost Map My Ride needs Google Play Services now.
    07-04-14 12:47 PM
    i wonder what business apps require google play
    Yeah. I think I'll avoid any "business" apps that "require" Google Play Services. That sounds a big ol' data mining potential that I wouldn't want Google to have.

Posted via CB10
    cdnrower, INTz, m1kr0 and 6 others like this.
    07-04-14 12:52 PM
    For Google Drive, have you tried Files and Folders? Its available as a free trial, 3 days I believe, or a paid app. I know I have used it on my PlayBook and it was great. Had access to all of the cloud storage options (Drop Box, box, Google Drive, SkyDrive etc) and used it on my PB before BB10 was released and it had integration with Drop Box, box and SkyDrive (now OneDrive). I could download a file, edit it with Docs2Go and then upload it back to the cloud.

Have you tried an older version of Map My Ride that doesn't require GP?

Any other apps that require GP that you use?
    07-04-14 12:55 PM
    Well if i get a LG G3 and it sucks I always have all of my iPhone's , and the Z10, Z30 , you maybe right always leave your options open. Good to see how many of us are very passionate about our mobile devices and vocal advocates about the thing we love/hate. I still dont think there is a perfect eco system/hardware . I loved my Nokia's N80 , my iPhones and my BB10 phones. Now if someone could make a device, read my mind- make a mash up of all the things I love about all the different platforms and hardware and presto...year 2050?
    I've heard really good things about the G3. I'm sure it would work better with editing Google drive docs than a non android device. I'm leaning toward getting the passport. I think the shape of the screen and the functionality of the keyboard will make it a monster for Excel and pdf docs. My solution is to download from Google drive then edit in docs to go and re-upload.

Posted via CB10
    I need Google Drive that is editable and works , I tried a co-workers Galaxy S3 and it was great for that purpose making changes on the go. I also lost Map My Ride needs Google Play Services now.
    I used playcloud for months, and it worked great with Google drive. No android necessary.

Posted via CB10
    I'd rather get rid of Google play from my work flow. I had enough of Google keeping tabs on what I do.
    07-04-14 12:56 PM
    Google can have read any of our company's emails or messages if they want our level of corporate security needed is Zero , but i will say that google spreadsheets ease of use and so simple to share /change collaborate with fellow teammates over the like's of Microsoft offerings makes it so much better for time management and as a small business solution works great for our company.
    07-04-14 12:59 PM
    That sounds a big ol' data mining potential that I wouldn't want Google to have.
    Agreed. Also, I'm still not sure what, exactly, the OP can't live without.

Thumb-flicked from my Z30 via CB10
    07-04-14 01:01 PM
    So I only miss Google service when someone sends her or his location and I cannot open it, but I have learned to do EVERYTHING I need in my work and personal life as well with what BB10 provides me... well, I'm still needing a XLS to PDF converter, but really, it's just a few things left that are missing, it's like going through without Google, and I'm sure a lot of more good things are on the way...

BBM channel: C0040FF4D..... Proudly Z10 owner...
    07-04-14 01:02 PM
    Great example for boxing yourself in... There are always altenatives out there unless it a one of kind app.... heard many leaving because they want/need Goolgle services.... in fact very few do... if you have to go that root... you may find the "grass is greener" syndrom has set in... think the OP should really do a lot of research as to what Android device is needed... not as simple as using brand names... anyways... good luck to the OP in the land of Android... hope it works well.....
    07-04-14 01:03 PM
    It's not BlackBerry "limiting their audience by not offering Google play services " it's Google not allowing BlackBerry access to Google services. So you can't really lay the blame on BlackBerry.

Having said that however, if you need Google services that badly then I suppose you don't have any other choice but to get an android phone that supports them.

Posted via CB10. Over my carrier's data connection due to "Limited WiFi"
    07-04-14 01:04 PM
50 12