It seems as though the Passport will have an LCD screen based on the leaked hardware. Does anyone know why they decided to go with LCD over LED? I remember my Z10 drove me nuts because that LCD screen ate my battery making the device not usable for me daily. Also, the screen was not as nice as my LED Q10 or Z30. Why did they decide to use LCD?

Cheers!
    Europolska00
    07-04-14 08:57 AM
    It seems as though the Passport will have an LCD screen based on the leaked hardware. Does anyone know why they decided to go with LCD over LED? I remember my Z10 drove me nuts because that LCD screen ate my battery making the device not usable for me daily. Also, the screen was not as nice as my LED Q10 or Z30. Why did they decide to use LCD?

Cheers!
    Europolska00
    I seem to remember it has something to do with MRI and X-Ray results being rendered more sharply and accurately on an LCD screen, which would make sense as this device is going to be marketed extensively within healthcare.
    07-04-14 09:13 AM

Cheers!
    Europolska00
    The fact with "leaked" hardware is it's still a prototype and the specs can change prior to release. So we may not truly know for sure.

Cave, cave, moderator videt
    europolska00 likes this.
    07-04-14 09:18 AM
    I didn't know that LCD is sharper than LED, is that true? I thought LED was brighter and sharper. I also hated how black didn't look like black on Z10.
    07-04-14 09:39 AM
    I didn't know that LCD is sharper than LED, is that true? I thought LED was brighter and sharper. I also hated how black didn't look like black on Z10.
    From what I've been told LCD is better for MRIs and X-Rays and other odds and sods health practitioners need these days. Accuracy and sharpness are particularly important in the healthcare industry as you can well imagine.
    europolska00 likes this.
    07-04-14 10:03 AM
    LCD looks much better in my opinion. My z10 screen looks brighter and more colorful than the screen of the z30's I've seen.

Posted via CB10
    pystha and jyrbain like this.
    07-04-14 02:08 PM
    LED harder to see in sunlight. Also does not render colors as accurately.

Posted via CB10
    pystha and BroncoVAL like this.
    07-04-14 06:23 PM
    MRI images are supposed to be rendered with extreme accuracy. Bbry knows this. It needs to support 256 distinct shades in gray scale. Anyone that has tuned there TV does it with maybe 30 shades.

It's a big difference in terms of quality and screen selection will be driven by this.

Posted via CB10
    00stryder likes this.
    07-04-14 07:05 PM
    LCD's tend to be slightly more accurate in terms of colors, except black. And also, certain colors in LED's also tend to fade over time with use...
    ronfc likes this.
    07-04-14 07:19 PM
    I seem to remember it has something to do with MRI and X-Ray results being rendered more sharply and accurately on an LCD screen, which would make sense as this device is going to be marketed extensively within healthcare.
    Can we stop saying this. The Passport has been shown to have no tie being a Healthcare/medical device. Its just a phone, not a hospital gizmo.

Stop.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    joejuck likes this.
    07-06-14 11:30 PM
    Can we stop saying this. The Passport has been shown to have no tie being a Healthcare/medical device. Its just a phone, not a hospital gizmo.

Stop.

Where has it been shown to have no tie to medical? That statement means someone has explicitly said for sure this has no intended medical applications. You might have meant to say it has not shown any ties to medical. That means they haven't comment either way whether it is a medical device or not.

Anyway, everyone is considering this to be a medical device because BlackBerry was working with that industry on a new qwerty phone with a high resolution screen. And the Passport is a qwerty phone, that was designed at the same time, with a high resolution screen. The assumption is very likely correct. But, you are correct if you're pointing out BlackBerry has not officially claimed that the Passport is that device.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 11:51 PM

Stop.

Incorrect.

While the Passport wasn't designed to be a purely healthcare focused device it has elements built into it that would only be utile to that industry. NantHealth also had input to the design and operation and will also help with marketing the phone through their network to the healthcare industry. This isn't a big secret, people on the IT side of things are really pricking up their ears.
    07-07-14 06:12 AM
    As on TVs I think the LCD on cell phones it's a Liquid Display Screen with a non-LED backlight (usually fluorescent lamps or electroluminescent panels). The LED screens are the same but changing the backlight with LED lights.

The old screens are LCD + fluorescents (they were called LCD only) and the newer ones with LEDs are LCD+Led.

The final image and colors depends on the LCD quality of course and the light intensity of the LEDs.

The later and better technology it's called OLED. It seems Samsung Super-AmoLED uses this technology which doesn haves backlight. Mobile phones and smartphones with OLED screens
    07-07-14 06:25 AM

Stop.

This from a BlackBerry blurb on the Passport:

"In the healthcare field, picture being able to go through x-rays or medial documentation in the office with a patient, on a device that can maintain the necessary security standards for HIPAA compliance."

Posted Using a Z30 Via CB10
    07-07-14 04:26 PM
    I used a Z10 for a while and loved the quality of its screen (more accurate colours as I like on my Eizo desktop screen, and better in shiny ambiant) but I don't miss its battery draining!
    I got used to the Q10's amoled (colours can be a little weird but on a phone it's not a big deal). and it's definitely an advantage for battery durability.
    I am curious to get my hands on the Passport as everyone concur to say its 1400X1400 pixels screen is phenomenal.

Posted via CB10
    europolska00 likes this.
    07-07-14 08:21 PM
    I have no problem with the way colors display on the Z10, but man does that screen show smudges and fingerprints. Anyone know if the Passport will be any better on that front? What will the screen be made of?

Posted via CB10
    07-07-14 09:14 PM
    I have no problem with the way colors display on the Z10, but man does that screen show smudges and fingerprints. Anyone know if the Passport will be any better on that front? What will the screen be made of?

Posted via CB10
    It's your fingers, not the screen, stop eating chicken wings then touching your phone... :-P

Just kidding man, lol. :-D

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    07-07-14 09:16 PM

Stop.

That isn't true. In the article published yesterday they (bbry) talk about viewing x-rays on it.

http://m.crackberry.com/blackberry-h...-be-device-you

Posted via CB10
    07-08-14 07:54 AM
    That isn't true. In the article published yesterday they (bbry) talk about viewing x-rays on it.

http://m.crackberry.com/blackberry-h...-be-device-you

Posted via CB10
    They're talking about the applications of such a device. They also speak about using it in architect. Is the passport now a device built for architect workers?

How does the passport sound anything medical related. I see the passport as a business device.

Sent from my VS980 4G using CB Forums mobile app
    07-08-14 08:57 AM
    They're talking about the applications of such a device. They also speak about using it in architect. Is the passport now a device built for architect workers?

How does the passport sound anything medical related. I see the passport as a business device.

As I stressed before and I'll say it again now, the Passport was never designed to be solely a device to be used by healthcare but by enterprise too. But major elements of the device were specifically designed with healthcare in mind and NantHealth consulted in the design and operation of the phone and will also be involved in the marketing of the device to various healthcare networks in the US. The fact there's a cross over between healthcare and enterprise shouldn't come as any surprise to anyone as there are interchangeable needs, but there are features of this phone that have been designed specifically for use by healthcare professionals and the fact that some can be used by other disciplines, architects for example, doesn't preclude that fact that this device was borne out of BlackBerry's relationship with NantHealth.
    europolska00 likes this.
    07-08-14 09:19 AM

I don't think bbry cares what you say the device is for. That is the point. You can use it as you see fit, they are giving you a few ideas. The article calls out business use as well. Me, I view it as a magic tool; to design magic tricks and maybe the odd clown gag. And you know what? That's alright because I'm entitled to my opinion and can use the device for whatever I want.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-14 11:16 AM

Posted via CB10
    I'm interested to know the answer to this too. I can't remember where I heard this but I think I heard that the Passport will have an oleophobic coating like the iPhone has to significantly reduce finger print smudging. Can anyone confirm this? I was so excited when I heard that, I've wanted this on a BlackBerry for a very long time!

Cheers
    EuroPolska00
    07-09-14 10:37 AM
    Buy something like this ;-)

BlackBerry Z10 Screen Protector | ZAGG
    07-09-14 05:30 PM
    sooooo.........

To actually answer the question (instead of bickering about how the device will be used).

It's probably quite simply that LCD screens are easier than OLED screens to source and produce in a 1440p 4.5" square design. OLED screens may come with a future release, but I'm guessing they're simply not being produced yet (or not being produced in sufficient quantity or quality).

Sometimes design choices fall back to component availability. I suggest that's the case here - especially with such a unique screen.
    07-09-14 08:47 PM
    Do you know if the passport will have gorilla glass or another type of shatter resistant touch screen?

Posted via CB10
    07-11-14 09:36 AM
28 12