Hi-

I am looking at a trip to Europe for at least a month later this year and wondering how the BBQ10 will do on their networks? Mine is an unlocked Verizon model.

My itinerary is likely to start in either France or Italy, but with the majority of the time in Spain. If I were to buy a card in France or Italy, would calls/texts in Spain be at the same rate, or is it better to buy in the country you plan to use the phone most often? What kind of data speed would I have? I'm not too concerned about Internet access, but would want to be able to manage emails a few times/day.

If I leave the smartphones (also an ATT iPhone 4s) at home, how inexpensively can someone get something for calls/texts for a month or two?

Thanks -- I am sure this info is out there somewhere but I've been digging for a while and not finding a clear answer.
    07-03-14 12:28 PM
    That's the reason why the Verizon and Sprint models are called World Phones, as you can insert a prepaid or other carriers' SIM and use it pretty much everywhere. You might purchase a SIM that can be used in multiple EU jurisdictions, so as to maximize your experience. There wouldn't be much use in buying a device just for the trip, and your Q is already unlocked on the GSM side as well.
    07-03-14 01:34 PM
    I was told by Verizon to just travel wherever I go, buy a Sim card locally and switch it. It's a lot cheaper than paying for an international plan and it works better.
    07-03-14 01:36 PM
    is it possible my phone is unlocked??
    How can I tell??

sorry to be such an *****...
    07-15-14 11:54 AM
    is it possible my phone is unlocked??
    How can I tell??

sorry to be such an *****...
    Verizon BB's are sold unlocked.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-14 12:11 PM
    I used the Verizon Q10 in Spain for five months this year without issue. I recommend getting one of the "Yu" plans from Vodafone. My monthly bill (no contract) was about $13. That included minutes, texts and 600 MB of data -- enough to get by, especially if you have Wi-Fi in your hotel, office, etc. Best of luck! It was very stress-free using my Q10 there. Sure you will enjoy.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-14 01:39 AM
    Great info everyone, thank you. I bought my ticket last week and head over in about a month. Can't wait and glad to know I'll be able to stay connected with ease.
    08-25-14 03:32 PM
    You want to be very carful and deliberate about data use when traveling. WiFi is definitely your friend. There was a time when nobody offered a pre-paid data solution, back in the days of BIS. Now, however, with BB10 devices using standard carrier-provided data plans, you can get data on a BlackBerry without jumping through hoops.

I still advise using a pc to log into your MyVerizon page regularly to double-check that you're not using Verizon data while traveling.
    08-26-14 10:42 AM