The Q10 is an awesome looking device, and I really like physical keyboards, but at this point has been out for quite a while in terms of phone/technology time. I'm a bit out of the loop on BB software, but is there any chance the Q10 gets held back of updates any time soon? I don't want to end up burned buying this phone if it won't be getting anymore software updates for at least another year or so. For example, would this be like buying an iPhone 4 at this point, which won't get iOS 8 this fall?

Thanks guys.
    riss89 likes this.
    07-01-14 04:42 PM
    The Q10 is a great device, and will recieve updates for quite awhile.
    07-01-14 04:43 PM
    For OP, it may be worthy depending on how much have to pay for it.

Using Z10, wanting Z30, eyeing Windermere
    07-01-14 04:45 PM
    The Q10 is an awesome looking device, and I really like physical keyboards, but at this point has been out for quite a while in terms of phone/technology time. I'm a bit out of the loop on BB software, but is there any chance the Q10 gets held back of updates any time soon? I don't want to end up burned buying this phone if it won't be getting anymore software updates for at least another year or so. For example, would this be like buying an iPhone 4 at this point, which won't get iOS 8 this fall?

Thanks guys.
    Wait til September for the Passport or November for the Classic. If you still decide on the Q10, perhaps there might be a discount, as it won't be the newest qwerty BB10 phone on the block.

All current BB10 devices are expected to get 10.3.1, so no worries there.
    cooboo and cgallaer like this.
    07-01-14 04:45 PM
    Like already said before me, it all depends what you pay for it. If it's an upgrade on a plan maybe wait and see what your options are. That said there are plenty of Q10s on craigslist/kijiji going for $200. I just got mine a month ago and I actually haven't taken the sim out once, I used to mix it up daily. I fully recommend this as the best device if you want a keyboard. Q5 a close second actually beating it in some respects.

EDIT: To answer your question worry about 10.4 in about a years time until then rock the Q!
    Q10, Q5, Z30... Damn I love leaks too much!
    07-01-14 05:32 PM
    Thanks for all the opinions guys!

I was playing around with my dad's old Bold 9900 the other day and I realized how gorgeous of a device it is, and that I really do miss physical keyboards.

I'd be buying it off contract, at about 180 USD, a steal IMO. I think I'll wait for the Blackberry Classic though, have that "new device feeling"
    07-01-14 06:50 PM
    It's worth buying. Keyboard is amazing. You can pick up a gently used one for under $200 which is a steal for the device.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 02:37 AM
    I would also say it is worth buying. It has been in production for over a year now, so all the production issues have now been taken care of.

If you wait for the Classic or the Passport, it is likely that the first batches will have some kind of quality issues (as many phones do at the launch).

Posted via CB10 using Blackberry Q10
    07-02-14 03:30 AM
    Thinking about buying a Q10 now, and then wait until a few months after the Classic comes out and pick one up as well. Might as well make my technology collection even bigger, right?
    07-02-14 08:06 PM
    Thinking about buying a Q10 now, and then wait until a few months after the Classic comes out and pick one up as well. Might as well make my technology collection even bigger, right?
    ...and then, you will even get the Classic at cheaper price! ;p
    07-02-14 08:16 PM
    ...and then, you will even get the Classic at cheaper price! ;p
    Nah, I wouldn't sell the Q10. I can't live without keeping my phones. I felt heartbreak with my Galaxy S3.
    07-02-14 08:19 PM
    If your current smartphone hasn't crapped out, then I suggest you wait until this fall for the Passport or Classic.

Posted via CB10 | VZW Z30 on at&t LTE
    07-02-14 08:26 PM
    I got my job to get me the Q10 for work purposes and loved it! The screen cracked 2 months later and I was forced to get another phone (Galaxy S3). After 6 months of using the galaxy I got fed up and paid out of pocket to have the phone fixed and it was the best decision by far! Even after a year from its release this phone still feels like a new release to me. The browser is pretty fast and the response time is great! I run the iphone 5s as my personal phone and have found myself putting it down and picking up the Q10 for everyday things. I think this phone is still relevant and a good buy. Especially if your looking for a phone with a keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    riss89 likes this.
    07-02-14 08:36 PM
    I got my job to get me the Q10 for work purposes and loved it! The screen cracked 2 months later and I was forced to get another phone (Galaxy S3). After 6 months of using the galaxy I got fed up and paid out of pocket to have the phone fixed and it was the best decision by far! Even after a year from its release this phone still feels like a new release to me. The browser is pretty fast and the response time is great! I run the iphone 5s as my personal phone and have found myself putting it down and picking up the Q10 for everyday things. I think this phone is still relevant and a good buy. Especially if your looking for a phone with a keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    I'm also considering purchasing the Q10 by the end of this month as my main and only phone. Just out of curiosity, how did the screen on your Q10 crack?
    07-02-14 09:11 PM
    I work in construction. I normally keep the phone in my pocket. I jumped in a skid steer loader to move some material around and after I finished I jumped out and the phone fell out and hit the skid steer bucket right on the screen. I didn't realize till I had to make a call. When I found it it was sitting in the material I had just moved over. Neglect on my part.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 09:46 PM
    I suggest u buy straight away a nice cover for it. A cover specially protective on the corners.

I loved the feel of a naked Q10 because it looks slim and classy, but I damaged the voice recorder Mic after my Q slipped from my hands in a move and brutally crashed against the floor from that side. Since then, I bought a nice cover with a Kickstand... and is one of the best purchases I have made for my phone.

TLDR: the phone is not made of glass, but dont let it fall too much and buy a cover asap

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 10:22 PM
    With all the research I've been doing I've stumbled upon two cases that seem like they would provide pretty good protection w/o adding a lot of extra bulk. Pretty good prices too:

Otterbox commuter case

Amazon.com: Incipio BB-1029 DualPro Case for BlackBerry Q10 - 1 Pack - Retail Packaging - Cherry Blossom Pink/Charcoal Gray: Cell Phones & Accessories
    07-03-14 12:56 AM
    I doubt it will lose support any time soon. As for buying one being worth it: a new one, no. A used one, yes.
    07-03-14 09:17 AM
    My Q10 has only improved with age, as do all other BB10 devices though. There's no reason not to get it if you like it, that was my main motivation for getting one.
    07-03-14 03:54 PM
    I got mine less than a month ago and I'm glad I did. I don't feel like my phone is anywhere close to being outdated.

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums
    07-03-14 06:16 PM