The Volkswagen Group is taking over BlackBerry's European research and development centre in Bochum (Germany). With the newly founded Volkswagen Infotainment GmbH, the Wolfsburg-based automotive group is further expanding its expertise and capabilities in the field of vehicle connectivity.

With its objective of interlinking vehicles and the surrounding world, the field of 'connectivity' forms a focal point of research and development within the Volkswagen Group that has seen rapid growth in recent years. New strategies and innovations are needed in order that interlinking driver and automobile with the infrastructure can be further optimised.

The exchange of information between vehicle and mobile devices, such as MP3 players, smart phones and car keys, is already taking place today. In the near future further forms of communication will become equally established: communication between vehicle and the driver's home or office; communication between vehicle and filling stations, parking spaces and road infrastructure (car-to-X communication); and ultimately also from vehicle to vehicle (car-to-car communication). It will be possible in this way to provide drivers with very prompt information of any hold-ups or obstructions.

Dr. Heinz-Jakob Neu�er, Member of the Board of Management Volkswagen Brand for the Development Division, explains: "Connectivity will be a key feature of the car of the future. Many customers are expecting connected vehicles of a new dimension in terms of convenience and road safety. Around the globe, our customers' aspirations will change rapidly, leading to shortened cycles of innovation for systems and functions. In order to be able to meet these challenges it is necessary for us to broaden and expand our options through additional know-how."

https://www.volkswagen-media-service..._auth=gx477YUW
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    07-01-14 11:53 AM
    interesting to read this. Hopefully they fully intend to use QNX as the base system for the research
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    07-01-14 11:55 AM
    >>Hopefully they fully intend to use QNX
    Me too. Two things I love: Blackberry and my VW GTI.
    bspence87 likes this.
    07-01-14 12:40 PM
    What does it mean by take over?

#BBFactCheck
    07-01-14 12:53 PM
    "Two things I love: Blackberry and my VW GTI."
    Ha! I was thinking the exact same.
    bspence87 likes this.
    07-01-14 03:16 PM
    "taking over" could have a lot of different meanings.

Looks to be a "space" in a large office facility that is on a collage campus, most likely BlackBerry leased this space from the collage. Volkswagen is just taking over the space that BlackBerry used is my guess.

Tech Center Bochum | Kamel Lajili
    07-01-14 03:30 PM
    Let someone help me to understand this post. English is not my mothers tongue. Is Volkswagen taking over in terms of merger and acquisition or was it ceded to Volkswagen by use of force? Or was there any form of partnership between BlackBerry and Volkswagen?

Posted via CB10
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    07-01-14 03:36 PM
    Can't see how it makes a difference who buys it. If I bought the BlackBerry building in Halifax and turned it into a night club, BlackBerry isn't going to care lol. They've collected the money from the sale (or gave up the leased space) and moved on. Plus, VW is planning on keeping the employees. Adding BlackBerry to the title just makes it sound more interesting linkbaity than it really is.
    07-01-14 03:43 PM
    Let someone help me to understand this post. English is not my mothers tongue. Is Volkswagen taking over in terms of merger and acquisition or was it ceded to Volkswagen by use of force? Or was there any form of partnership between BlackBerry and Volkswagen?

Posted via CB10
    Seems BlackBerry moved out and VW moved in lol. Nothing more, nothing less. The usage of BlackBerry references doesn't even appear relevant as far as I can tell.
    07-01-14 03:52 PM
    BlackBerry might have closed this office and moved out long ago. The one mention I found in the link above says they worked with developers and particularly helping them with apps for the PlayBook and Dev Alpha devices.... so that site hasn't been updated in a long time. No mention of any work that would have been related to anything Volkswagen would be involved in. And as they most likely didn't own the building, no gain from selling it.

Most likely BlackBerry 's name was only used because the building did have their name on it.
    07-01-14 03:57 PM
    Computerwoche claims that VW also takes about 200 engineers from BlackBerry. If this is true, it could indeed indicate a further adaption of QNX within VW.
    http://www.computerwoche.de/a/vw-ueb...bochum,3063839
    07-01-14 03:58 PM
    Shed some light on this please anyone

#BBFactCheck
    07-01-14 05:30 PM
    VW founds Volkswagen Infotainment GmbH and uses BlackBerry HQ
    By Telematics NewsPublished: 01 July 2014
    Posted in: Infotainment

The Volkswagen Group is taking over BlackBerry?s European research and development centre in Bochum, Germany. With the newly founded Volkswagen Infotainment GmbH, the Wolfsburg-based automotive group is further expanding its expertise and capabilities in the field of vehicle connectivity.

With its objective of interlinking vehicles and the surrounding world, the field of ?connectivity? forms a focal point of research and development within the Volkswagen Group that has seen rapid growth in recent years. New strategies and innovations are needed in order that interlinking driver and automobile with the infrastructure can be further optimised.

The exchange of information between vehicle and mobile devices, such as MP3 players, smart phones and car keys, is already taking place today. In the near future further forms of communication will become equally established: communication between vehicle and the driver?s home or office; communication between vehicle and filling stations, parking spaces and road infrastructure (car-to-X communication); and ultimately also from vehicle to vehicle (car-to-car communication). It will be possible in this way to provide drivers with very prompt information of any hold-ups or obstructions.

Dr. Heinz-Jakob Neu�er, Member of the Board of Management Volkswagen Brand for the Development Division, explains: ?Connectivity will be a key feature of the car of the future. Many customers are expecting connected vehicles of a new dimension in terms of convenience and road safety. Around the globe, our customers? aspirations will change rapidly, leading to shortened cycles of innovation for systems and functions. In order to be able to meet these challenges it is necessary for us to broaden and expand our options through additional know-how.?

Source: Volkswagen
    07-01-14 05:48 PM
    VW founds Volkswagen Infotainment GmbH and uses BlackBerry HQ
    By Telematics NewsPublished: 01 July 2014
    Posted in: Infotainment

The Volkswagen Group is taking over BlackBerry?s European research and development centre in Bochum, Germany. With the newly founded Volkswagen Infotainment GmbH, the Wolfsburg-based automotive group is further expanding its expertise and capabilities in the field of vehicle connectivity.

With its objective of interlinking vehicles and the surrounding world, the field of ?connectivity? forms a focal point of research and development within the Volkswagen Group that has seen rapid growth in recent years. New strategies and innovations are needed in order that interlinking driver and automobile with the infrastructure can be further optimised.

The exchange of information between vehicle and mobile devices, such as MP3 players, smart phones and car keys, is already taking place today. In the near future further forms of communication will become equally established: communication between vehicle and the driver?s home or office; communication between vehicle and filling stations, parking spaces and road infrastructure (car-to-X communication); and ultimately also from vehicle to vehicle (car-to-car communication). It will be possible in this way to provide drivers with very prompt information of any hold-ups or obstructions.

Dr. Heinz-Jakob Neu�er, Member of the Board of Management Volkswagen Brand for the Development Division, explains: ?Connectivity will be a key feature of the car of the future. Many customers are expecting connected vehicles of a new dimension in terms of convenience and road safety. Around the globe, our customers? aspirations will change rapidly, leading to shortened cycles of innovation for systems and functions. In order to be able to meet these challenges it is necessary for us to broaden and expand our options through additional know-how.?

Source: Volkswagen
    Thank you for that but any financial were told or any partner relationships?
    07-01-14 08:30 PM
    BlackBerry might have closed this office and moved out long ago. The one mention I found in the link above says they worked with developers and particularly helping them with apps for the PlayBook and Dev Alpha devices.... so that site hasn't been updated in a long time. No mention of any work that would have been related to anything Volkswagen would be involved in. And as they most likely didn't own the building, no gain from selling it.

Most likely BlackBerry 's name was only used because the building did have their name on it.
    Point is that AFAIK their site in Bochum was a major centre for hardware R&D. The trackpad, the Bold 9700 and I think also the 9900 were developed here in Bochum (I live in Germany). I don't really know the grand scheme of things here but initially this didn't felt like a random real estate sell for me, more of a bit frightening to hear them giving up on 200-300 hardware engineers that came up with significant parts in the past.
    07-02-14 06:28 AM
    Thank you for that but any financial were told or any partner relationships?
    There are no details to given by VW and BlackBerry hasn't said a word... But it doesn't sound like any kind of partnership.

If there is a partnership or BlackBerry is selling them the property, then they will have an announcement soon.

If they just got out of a lease and got rid of 200 employees they were going to layoff anyway... you won't hear anything from BB.
    07-02-14 11:12 AM
    I guess that is why they have newspaper. Some body needs to make a living one way or another

#BBFactCheck
    07-02-14 11:32 AM
    So shouldn't the details behind this whole ordeal show up on the Blackberry Fact Checking site?!?!
    07-03-14 09:52 AM
    http://berryflow.com/2014/07/200-bla...-infotainment/

Go to the link for answers from BlackBerry

#BBFactCheck
    07-03-14 10:37 AM
    200 BlackBerry Employees in Bochum Will Transfer to Volkswagen Infotainment -

Go to the link for answers from BlackBerry

#BBFactCheck
    That's not an answer, that's a standard reply lol. That's like asking if the Press Release is correct and BlackBerry saying yes. It answers nothing about why and what exactly, if anything, QNX/BlackBerry and VW are doing.
    07-03-14 10:43 AM
    Thanks for the corrections boss

#BBFactCheck
    07-03-14 10:49 AM
    I'm still intrigued...

Posted via CB10
    07-03-14 06:42 PM
    Point is that AFAIK their site in Bochum was a major centre for hardware R&D. The trackpad, the Bold 9700 and I think also the 9900 were developed here in Bochum (I live in Germany). I don't really know the grand scheme of things here but initially this didn't felt like a random real estate sell for me, more of a bit frightening to hear them giving up on 200-300 hardware engineers that came up with significant parts in the past.
    I think you are probably overstating matters, it is more likely that location was simply the one assigned to carry out those hardware projects rather than them being particularly responsible for those devices.

Wasn't this location originally owned by Nokia and then BB took it over later too?
    07-04-14 12:21 PM
    Wasn't this location originally owned by Nokia and then BB took it over later too?
    Yep.
    07-05-14 07:29 AM
    Interesting. I wonder if BlackBerry is disentangling itself from the automotive space.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 02:37 PM
31 12