I was in a wedding this weekend and I was surrounded by s4 users. Every time we had to check something I told them to let me check it out in my BlackBerry. They couldn't believe I still used one and I told them I like to keep it old school. After he saw it he was amazed. I showed him some of the different ones out there. He said he is going home and getting the z30 or......wait for it......the q10. He said he really misses a keyboard. I love it. Sorry just had to share. BlackBerry is still loved in secret.

From my z10
    06-30-14 10:32 AM
    I was in a wedding this weekend and I was surrounded by s4 users. Every time we had to check something I told them to let me check it out in my BlackBerry. They couldn't believe I still used one and I told them I like to keep it old school. After he saw it he was amazed. I showed him some of the different ones out there. He said he is going home and getting the z30 or......wait for it......the q10. He said he really misses a keyboard. I love it. Sorry just had to share. BlackBerry is still loved in secret.

From my z10
    I agree that if they could "relaunch" with some new hardware and some major marketing that their might be a number of people that miss their old BlackBerry and would love a more modern device. But this is by far the exception.....
    06-30-14 10:50 AM
    Passport will be loved

#BBFactCheck
    06-30-14 10:54 AM
    Nice OP. Agree. Many want a good qwerty with leading specs and visual attractiveness.
    06-30-14 11:01 AM
    Agreed. I think people like BlackBerry but they feel it just the same old thing. I personally think after seeing their phones that I have the superior phone but that's just me. I was just floored when they never even knew BlackBerry had new phones. Oh well. I guess we are the marketing.

From my z10
    06-30-14 11:01 AM
    I think a lot of people, especially former BlackBerry users, are willing to come back to the brand again when they see what the new OS is actually capable of and how the interaction design is very modern.

It's just that most people don't know about that and they got very used to their Android and iOS phones now. The level of information about BlackBerry is very low out there. This is another great point about the Passport. I think it will get a pretty good media coverage so people will see that BlackBerry is there, bringing new products and actually good ones.
    06-30-14 02:20 PM
    I agree that if they could "relaunch" with some new hardware and some major marketing that their might be a number of people that miss their old BlackBerry and would love a more modern device. But this is by far the exception.....
    There's a concept in marketing called "saving your powder" or "keeping your powder dry". What it means is that you're intentionally keeping your marketing efforts low-profile for a time in the lead up to something new and exciting, so that it almost amounts to a full brand relaunch.

There WAS a marketing effort around the Z10 and the Q10 at launch. The financials turned even worse, though, and I suspect that anything that was planned for the Z30 got shelved as throwing good money after bad.

What I would like to THINK is happening is that marketing got a thorough review after John Chen took the reins, and that he wanted to keep the lid on aggressive advertising until 1) BlackBerry could show it was turning the corner (which the latest quarterly report suggests they're doing) and 2) they had an attention-getting product to introduce.

If the Passport catches on, ALL BlackBerry phones will sell better. If the company can introduce ANY product that gains a following, it will improve overall public perception of the brand.
    Andy_bb_king and itzJustMeh like this.
    06-30-14 02:31 PM
    What I would like to THINK is happening is that marketing got a thorough review after John Chen took the reins, and that he wanted to keep the lid on aggressive advertising until 1) BlackBerry could show it was turning the corner (which the latest quarterly report suggests they're doing) and 2) they had an attention-getting product to introduce.

If the Passport catches on, ALL BlackBerry phones will sell better. If the company can introduce ANY product that gains a following, it will improve overall public perception of the brand.
    That's kind of what I am hoping for as well.. the Passport and Classic are very important devices.
    06-30-14 03:15 PM
    I'm hope the passport bring the new look we need. I

From my z10
    06-30-14 04:54 PM