Is it just me or is anybody else bothered that the Passport keyboard's printed letters are stretched? Look at the typeface - there is no "Extended" or wider version of the typeface officially from Linotype. There is a condensed version, which is squished - but this is done by design - not someone just stretching it out. This isn't done on any other BlackBerry keyboard as far as I recall.

Unless I'm wrong and there actually is an "Extended" version of the typeface, I'll admit and take it back. Otherwise, I'm a little more than frustrated and disappointed this was done. It's in the same territory as inappropriate colouring of the BlackBerry logo, or spelling BlackBerry without both capitol B's. It's an offense of the brand style guide and Visual identity - as well as inappropriate modifications of Linotype's design.

Take a look at the different styles of Slate here: Download Slate™ font family - Linotype.com The way it appears on the Passport just seems wrong.

Passport: Passport Keyboard Type is Stretched - Does this bother anyone?-passport_advanced.jpg
    Xclbrican likes this.
    06-28-14 09:56 AM
    It's in the same territory as inappropriate colouring of the BlackBerry logo, or spelling BlackBerry without both capitol B's. It's an offense of the brand style guide and Visual identity
    Even as someone who actually works in marketing and brand management I have to say this is no deal and disagree.
    k-fos likes this.
    06-28-14 11:08 AM
    I agree I think it's the use of a stretched font that makes this phone look so weird. Looking at photos it looks too wide because the letters look stretched yet on the screen everything is fine. If they had gone with normal width letters it may have looked better

Posted via CB10
    06-28-14 11:57 AM
    It bothers me I don't see any numbers on the keyboard!
    I know in theory we don't need to remember phone nos anymore. But in practice....

Senario.
    You have 1000+ contacts in your phone.

You wish to call a business contact in Newcastle upon Tyne to arrange a meeting.
    You don't live in Newcastle, you cant remember his name.
    You type 0191,
    You find contact from the half dozen contacts you have for Newcastle, one of which is a taxi company, another is a chinese takeaway.

A week later after the business meeting in Newcastle that involved consuming large quantities of alcohol you need to call a taxi back to your hotel, your business associate has gone home and left you in a lap dancing bar . You type taxi into your phone.
    Top of the list is Bangkok taxi company, then another in Kuala Lumpa.
    You try opening a browser and internet searching but the bar is in a basement and has poor reception and anyway you recall there was one taxi company in Newcastle who ripped you off. You just type 0191or 0WCW, spot the taxi your business associate recommended, order a takeaway on the way back to hotel.

Ps realise you will still be able to type numbers, just like the start typing number function on BlackBerry.
    06-29-14 02:45 AM
    It bothers me I don't see any numbers on the keyboard!
    I know in theory we don't need to remember phone nos anymore. But in practice....

Senario.
    You have 1000+ contacts in your phone.

You wish to call a business contact in Newcastle upon Tyne to arrange a meeting.
    You don't live in Newcastle, you cant remember his name.
    You type 0191,
    You find contact from the half dozen contacts you have for Newcastle, one of which is a taxi company, another is a chinese takeaway.

A week later after the business meeting in Newcastle that involved consuming large quantities of alcohol you need to call a taxi back to your hotel, your business associate has gone home and left you in a lap dancing bar . You type taxi into your phone.
    Top of the list is Bangkok taxi company, then another in Kuala Lumpa.
    You try opening a browser and internet searching but the bar is in a basement and has poor reception and anyway you recall there was one taxi company in Newcastle who ripped you off. You just type 0191or 0WCW, spot the taxi your business associate recommended, order a takeaway on the way back to hotel.

Ps realise you will still be able to type numbers, just like the start typing number function on BlackBerry.
    Then the Classic might be the one for you, not the Passport.

Cave, cave, moderator videt
    06-29-14 03:33 AM
    Is it just me or is anybody else bothered that the Passport keyboard's printed letters are stretched? Look at the typeface - there is no "Extended" or wider version of the typeface officially from Linotype. There is a condensed version, which is squished - but this is done by design - not someone just stretching it out. This isn't done on any other BlackBerry keyboard as far as I recall.

Unless I'm wrong and there actually is an "Extended" version of the typeface, I'll admit and take it back. Otherwise, I'm a little more than frustrated and disappointed this was done. It's in the same territory as inappropriate colouring of the BlackBerry logo, or spelling BlackBerry without both capitol B's. It's an offense of the brand style guide and Visual identity - as well as inappropriate modifications of Linotype's design.

Take a look at the different styles of Slate here: Download Slate™ font family - Linotype.com The way it appears on the Passport just seems wrong.

Passport: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Passport_Advanced.jpg 
Views:	3738 
Size:	17.3 KB 
ID:	281251
    That was the only this about the leaked photos I had doubts with. It looks very very strange. I hate it. Its an illusion to make the device look less wide

Posted via CB10
    06-29-14 03:37 AM
    Then the Classic might be the one for you, not the Passport.
    This is racist.
    ronfc likes this.
    06-29-14 04:09 AM
    Yes, it bothers me. It looks sloppy, it makes the phone look like a cheap knock-off and not a proper BlackBerry device.

The least they could have done with this keyboard is use a correctly proportioned font.
    06-29-14 07:55 AM
    It does bother me slightly... Looks like a knock-off, imho.

Sent from my BlackBerry smartphone.
    06-29-14 09:31 AM
    Yes, it bothers me. It looks sloppy, it makes the phone look like a cheap knock-off and not a proper BlackBerry device.

The least they could have done with this keyboard is use a correctly proportioned font.
    absolutely. i'm terrified this phone is going to bomb, partly due to aesthetics and partly due to being completely unusable with one hand. with such as huge form factor, you lose all of the benefits of having a hardware keyboard. at least IMO.

-- eldee
    06-29-14 09:34 AM
    absolutely. i'm terrified this phone is going to bomb, partly due to aesthetics and partly due to being completely unusable with one hand. with such as huge form factor, you lose all of the benefits of having a hardware keyboard. at least IMO.

-- eldee
    Well prior to my Z10 I had a 9000, 9800 and 9900. Whenever I typed something beyond an "ok" I used the phone two-handed. Through flicking the Z10 delivers better one-handed typing and therefore overall usability than any BlackBerry I had prior to it. Navigating through the phone without typing should be possible one handed for my liking and I hope the Passport can do that, that'd be enough for me.
    vkberry likes this.
    06-29-14 09:49 AM
    It does bother me slightly... Looks like a knock-off, imho.

Sent from my BlackBerry smartphone.
    That's what I'm talking about. If you can't trust the Brand to get its own branding right, and to respect the design rules of something as visible as the KEYBOARD, it gets you thinking of what other corners are getting cut and uninformed decisions getting made. I think these are valid concerns. In design and branding, these are offences that should never be allowed to happen on such a large product for an international company.
    redsaph likes this.
    06-29-14 03:07 PM
    Well looks like it was temporary all along... seems 'fixed' on latest hardware

Posted via CB10
    mexicangangboss likes this.
    07-23-14 01:18 AM
    Doesn't look stretched as per this picture.. I believe you're seeing an optical illusion because of the narrow keyboard in proportion to the relatively taller screen which is making the keyboard look stretched whereas it isn't..

Passport Keyboard Type is Stretched - Does this bother anyone?-bbp.jpeg
    07-23-14 02:54 AM

Passport: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Passport_Advanced.jpg 
Views:	3738 
Size:	17.3 KB 
ID:	281251
    It's just you.

You are totally over thinking this.

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7
    07-23-14 03:22 AM
    Doesn't look stretched as per this picture.. I believe you're seeing an optical illusion because of the narrow keyboard in proportion to the relatively taller screen which is making the keyboard look stretched whereas it isn't..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bbp.jpeg 
Views:	932 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	286566
    My point, no longer an issue in the official pictures

Posted via CB10
    07-23-14 04:39 AM
    The stretched letters bother the hell out of me. And it bothers me that we don't have square keys. Look at the "O" and "Q" buttons if you don't see the weird wide characters. perfectly square character might have been a nice way to change it up.

We could have another column of keys, easily, and secondary characters on each key. The Passport's keyboard looks stupid.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by deadcowboy; 07-23-14 at 08:57 AM.
    II ARROWS likes this.
    07-23-14 08:43 AM
    Its terrible in the first day, but I got used to it very fast...

I disadvantage tho! sometimes you swipe up to close an app the swiping doesnt work, that maybe because the device is Have is Dev version (Pre-release)

Guys if you need to know anything about the device inbox me Im glad to help & Share
    07-24-14 02:50 AM
    No

Posted via CB10
    07-24-14 12:01 PM
    Definitely not stretched on the white one

Posted via CB10
    07-25-14 09:51 AM
    Why not waiting for the actual release before freaking about.. i dont even know what it is that you're seeing !!! :-)

Posted via CB10
    djdragon likes this.
    07-25-14 09:58 AM