With all the news focused over BlackBerry supporting android apps I doubt JC is taking serious steps to support native app development and developers.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-14 03:14 AM
    I'm afraid this will die.

I understand why he made the deal with amazon. But it feels like a death blow to native.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-14 04:36 AM
    Developers to a platform are like knights to a castle. They fight for you with everything in order to keep their castle safe, and they get respect for it. This time, the knights have been insulted, as other 'non-native' soldiers were called to replace them.

I don't think the knights will save the castle anymore, when things will turn ugly.
    Supa_Fly1 and BBJonbo like this.
    06-28-14 04:41 AM
    Developers to a platform are like knights to a castle. They fight for you with everything in order to keep their castle safe, and they get respect for it. This time, the knights have been insulted, as other 'non-native' soldiers were called to replace them.

I don't think the knights will save the castle anymore, when things will turn ugly.
    Well, the castle needs a new army to stay afloat.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-14 04:42 AM

Posted via CB10
    i doubt this new army will follow orders of the king.
    BBJonbo likes this.
    06-28-14 04:49 AM
    i doubt this new army will follow orders of the king.
    Maybe not the king, but the people.

Posted via CB10
    app_Developer likes this.
    06-28-14 04:56 AM

Posted via CB10
    Like many successive dynasty's before in China, when a rolling body abandones the faithful guard they become Ronin, and soon Ninja clan which the attacks the new army and emporer both have fallen before so too will this unless an about face or other plan is in the works.

To me what is th e point in enjoying BlackBerry now when native is being heavily replaced? Many enterprise clients of theirs don't make a lot of code in house for apps. Not a smart way to go.

? BlackBerry Z30 ? If it Don't Make Dollars, It don't Make Sense ?
    06-28-14 05:03 AM
    Like many successive dynasty's before in China, when a rolling body abandones the faithful guard they become Ronin, and soon Ninja clan which the attacks the new army and emporer both have fallen before so too will this unless an about face or other plan is in the works.

To me what is th e point in enjoying BlackBerry now when native is being heavily replaced? Many enterprise clients of theirs don't make a lot of code in house for apps. Not a smart way to go.

? BlackBerry Z30 ? If it Don't Make Dollars, It don't Make Sense ?
    The amazon app store seems to be very consumer oriented rather than enterprise, so BlackBerry World STILL has a point.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-14 05:16 AM
    They are focusing on native only. Don't you get it

#BBFactCheck
    06-28-14 09:11 AM
    Agree with their focus on native only but a key point too is this will be enterprise only. Consumer apps will be Android for the most part and possible 100%. I fully understand why BBRY did this and had to do this. However, it has put my desire to upgrade on full stop. I don't want an Android phone and need to see where this is heading. I have only had BBRY smart phones since 2004 and for the 1st time since I am not sure my next phone will be a BBRY. Will just have to wait a year and see where things land. I was on the search for a new BBRY but I am not looking for a ton of Android apps to fill my needs. I as many prefer native and my phone is a personal and not enterprise/company phone so I no longer am BBRYs target audience. I am not sure I can't wait a year to see where this all goes. I believe JC will be successful in the enterprise space but unfortunately for me I am not part of that group.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-14 09:21 AM
    Having android apps doesn't nullify native at all!!!

I use my android apps regularly but only when they don't exist in native!

Native will always have the advantage, but as always one has to work for his bread, native developers need to push out clean apps, they still have the same client base they signed up for, and with Amazon store hopefully more BlackBerry users hence an expanding base for native developers!

Q10 On Steroids running on pure Awesomeness
    06-28-14 09:23 AM
    Maybe not the king, but the people.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed the people have spoken. Death to the king! Long live the people, long live the communists!!!
    Wait that's wrong... nvm.

Posted via z30 STA100-5 the only high end business device on the market
    06-28-14 09:24 AM
    People are still assuming that enterprises will make native apps and put them in BBWorld. I think there are two problems with that:

1.) Where I work, our enterprise apps are distributed in our own internal app stores (for iOS and Android)

2.) When we go to make an enterprise app, we hire employees and contractors who know iOS and Android, most of whom cut their teeth making consumer apps. The consumers apps are why there are thousands of Android and iOS developers for us to hire.

Let's say my group decides to build an enterprise app for BB10. How will we find developers (and designers) familiar with Cascades, etc.,? There are very few people working with that stack, and that number will now dwindle. Why wouldn't we just choose to build an Android app and run that on BB10?
    JeepBB and bbq10l like this.
    06-28-14 09:36 AM
    I think having Amazon app store is a good thing for BlackBerry users who needs apps that are currently missing and won't be available in the near future like Netflix and the likes.

I will always prefer native apps over Android apps. I think many BlackBerry users share this same mentality as mine so I don't think native apps will die out. Out of all the apps that I am currently using, Netflix is the only one Android app. And I'm thankful that it works well on BB10.

Using Z10, wanting Z30, eyeing Windermere
    06-28-14 10:23 AM
    People are still assuming that enterprises will make native apps and put them in BBWorld. I think there are two problems with that:

1.) Where I work, our enterprise apps are distributed in our own internal app stores (for iOS and Android)

2.) When we go to make an enterprise app, we hire employees and contractors who know iOS and Android, most of whom cut their teeth making consumer apps. The consumers apps are why there are thousands of Android and iOS developers for us to hire.

Let's say my group decides to build an enterprise app for BB10. How will we find developers (and designers) familiar with Cascades, etc.,? There are very few people working with that stack, and that number will now dwindle. Why wouldn't we just choose to build an Android app and run that on BB10?
    A question to the experts: are native BB10 apps less vulnerable to security breach compared to Android apps? If they are then an enterprise will want to stay native and if that's the case BB10 devs should be well-wanted.

06-28-14 10:28 AM
    A question to the experts: are native BB10 apps less vulnerable to security breach compared to Android apps? If they are then an enterprise will want to stay native and if that's the case BB10 devs should be well-wanted.

Depends are you getting the apps from a trusted source?
    Sideloading an app is dangerous because you can't vet the app
    Same with android
    If you get it from Google play or iOS and bbw you get apps that are vetted
    And use common sense
    FYI you cannot vet android apps on bbw due to lack of access to Google play services
    Even with snap or 1mobile or amazon

Posted via CrackBerry App
    06-28-14 12:14 PM
    The amazon app store seems to be very consumer oriented rather than enterprise, so BlackBerry World STILL has a point.

Posted via CB10
    ^ You missed my point.

1. Are you on BES10 with your BB10 device?
    - if Amazon store gets added and BBWorld proceeds (we really don't know yet, latest Dev Jam states otherwise) with only Enterprise/Corporate focused apps (Think SAP, Bloomberg Professional - Bloomberg is consumer based, Pro is for traders, Reuters Eikon, as examples) ... then which one are YOU going to use to download your apps? Savvy!??
    06-28-14 01:37 PM
    To the original question if this thread.

Looks so far like JC will do jack for now. The death of native apps unless you bare an enterprise user. JC has made a clear and loud statement that android for now is the answer for bun non-enterprise users.

I'll give it a year max to see whether I an wrong and we get decent native apps for us noj-enterprise users. Otherwise, at that point it is time to keep moving but onto another platform.

Will give BBRY ample time to settle in and see what direction I'd taken. I like most others an not looking for an Android phone.

Posted via CB10
    dikku11 likes this.
    06-28-14 07:41 PM