Meet HyperCat, the IoT specification delivered by a UK tech consortium, without BlackBerry-hypercat_logo.png
    Government investment drives UK lead in IoT
    Press release

Interoperability is key with the Internet of Things and it seems the UK is making good progress defining a an open specification "that allows machines to work together over the Internet and for applications to discover and make sense of data automatically without human intervention". It is called HyperCat!

The consortium of more than 40 UK-based tech companies, including ARM, BT, Intel and IBM have just delivered on the first phase of the initiative and AFAIK, BlackBerry is MIA. Of course, they can always follow the specs once it's set in stone, but it's always good to be part of the companies defining the standard if you eye a big piece of the market.
    Meet HyperCat, the IoT specification delivered by a UK tech consortium, without BlackBerry-hypercat.png
    The 8 Technology Strategy Board Clusters

1. Distance (Internet of Schools Things)
    2. EyeHub
    3. IoT-Bay (an Interoperability Hub for IoT Services)
    4. i-MOVE (Internet of Moving Objects and Vehicles Ecosystem)
    5. International Airport
    6. OpenIoT
    7. Smart Streets
    8. Stride (Smart Transport IoT Data Ecosystem)

And here is more information about the problem.
    Case study

Their conclusions
    The most challenging aspect of this project was perhaps the sheer number of participants - each with their own platforms, technologies and use-cases. It would have been very easy to have become bogged-down in complexity or factionalised into different camps. That the project succeeded is a tribute to the enlightened self-interest shown by everyone, driven by a common desire to make a true Internet of Things market arrive as soon as possible by solving the “silo” problem.
    The large number of use-cases, and the breadth of academic talent available to consult with, allowed us to collaboratively design a solution which is elegant in its simplicity. It does not aim to solve the problems of interoperability at every level, but simply to solve the discovery problem, enabling market forces to then drive alignment on higher-level interoperability topics such as semantics, data formats and bindings.
    Last edited by ofutur; 06-27-14 at 12:02 PM.
    06-27-14 11:34 AM
    The absence of BlackBerry is mind boggling. I would love to hear BlackBerry's response (if any).

Z10 STL100-1, OS 10.2.1.3247
    06-27-14 11:48 AM
    You can't see any of the names of the competition as well.. I totally expected Samsung, Google and Facebook to be on that board ..

Posted via CB10 from my Z10STL100-1/10.3.0.700
    06-27-14 11:53 AM
    Anything that involves BT will be overpriced and unreliable.
    anon(2729369) likes this.
    06-27-14 11:57 AM
    Just added the case study which helps better understand what the problem is

Case study

Their conclusions
    The most challenging aspect of this project was perhaps the sheer number of participants - each with their own platforms, technologies and use-cases. It would have been very easy to have become bogged-down in complexity or factionalised into different camps. That the project succeeded is a tribute to the enlightened self-interest shown by everyone, driven by a common desire to make a true Internet of Things market arrive as soon as possible by solving the “silo” problem.
    The large number of use-cases, and the breadth of academic talent available to consult with, allowed us to collaboratively design a solution which is elegant in its simplicity. It does not aim to solve the problems of interoperability at every level, but simply to solve the discovery problem, enabling market forces to then drive alignment on higher-level interoperability topics such as semantics, data formats and bindings.
    06-27-14 12:03 PM
    It is a government initiative, it won't be delivered in the next decade

Posted Via CB10 Using Z10 Running OS 10.3.0.442
    jpvj, iamagod, web99 and 1 others like this.
    06-27-14 12:06 PM
    It is a government initiative, it won't be delivered in the next decade

Posted Via CB10 Using Z10 Running OS 10.3.0.442
    They have delivered the specification. It's a nice first step. It's not too late for BlackBerry, but I don't know why they didn't get involved...
    06-27-14 12:09 PM
    They have delivered the specification. It's a nice first step. It's not too late for BlackBerry, but I don't know why they didn't get involved...
    This should not be surprising. Blackberry is very late to the game. They have barely started and this chart was published over a year ago.

Hers is the article which accompanied the image : http://techcrunch.com/2013/05/25/mak...net-of-things/

Blackberry has a snowball's chance in hell of convincing these companies to adopt Blackberry's yet to be defined standard. First, these companies have been already working on this problem for years. Second, standards have already been proposed - pushed by consortiums of influential companies.
    Last edited by notfanboy; 06-27-14 at 01:00 PM. Reason: #BBrealitycheck
    sentimentGX4 and JeepBB like this.
    06-27-14 12:59 PM
    Nice old and cherry picked article notfanboy. I didn't expect anything less from you. QNX is why BlackBerry has the best chance.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-14 04:51 AM
    Nice old and cherry picked article notfanboy. I didn't expect anything less from you. QNX is why BlackBerry has the best chance.

Posted via CB10
    Can you cherry pick a year old article with more than promises from BlackBerry? (or any)

The IoT is a long way off... of course BlackBerry still has a chance. But after four years they are still trying to create a mobile platform and haven't been able to do that with QNX. The IoT is going to require 3rd party support from manufacturers. And getting others to work with them is something that BlackBerry has shown they don't have much talent for.

IoT is going to be about standards... Most companies are going to use a free OS for their products.... if they use QNX it will be one of the open source versions. What BlackBerry wants is to provide the secured communication between devices. But again I don't see manufacturers adding the cost of BlackBerry... unless it is shown to be absolutely necessary.

Posted via Android CrackBerry App
    06-28-14 09:25 PM
    I've just checked a couple of other projects.

https://allseenalliance.org/
    Microsoft, Qualcomm, Cisco, LG, HTC and more
    No BlackBerry

Open Interconnect Consortium |
    Intel, Samsung, Dell, Broadcom and Atmel
    No BlackBerry

Industrial Internet Consortium: Member List
    BlackBerry! Yeah!
    07-08-14 10:56 AM
    The consortium of more than 40 UK-based tech companies, including ARM, BT, Intel and IBM

I looove the almost comical efforts as Brits, desperate to show that despite all the evidence they have not entirely lost their engineering base (to Germany, to the US, to Japan etc), desperately trying to fluff everything into a UK invention or a UK company....
    07-08-14 03:08 PM