It seems as thought the newly announced Blackberry Passport has left a favorable impression on many, since John Chen proudly displayed the device at the last company's AGM. There is an ever building vibe that this phone is different enough to potentially make its mark in such a crowded and "hard to enter" hardware market.

Professionals and mostly people in the medical field are the targeted audience as per Chen himself, and accordingly, for that to happen, all aspect of the offering has to be ironed out, as much as possible. I am saying this since one thing came up to mind thinking about how I actually may end up buying the device: what kind of case/holster could I use for such a big device? When I bought my first Z30 last fall, I also bought the leather holster, which is great to quickly access it at work and carry it around. At home though, it would often find itself left on the counter, unprotected. That led to a disastrous February day when my fingers did let go of a device I loved more than I love myself (ok, maybe I exaggerate for effects, but still!) and the end result was a bleeding lcd screen. By the time a new Z30 was delivered to me, I swore to myself that I would protect the device as best as possible, and as such, found an Otterbox case that seemed bulletproof and to this day, I believe it actually is.

The only problem is that the device looks enormous once in the case, and attached to the belt clip. People often tease me about it at work.

This leaves me wondering what kind of a cooler way of carrying a device could BBRY come up with to better suit this device? Any professionals won't want to wear it on the hip given its sheer size, so how else? I am wondering it it would not be an excellent time for BBRY to try and reinvent the way we carry our phones. For instance, some sort of harness like the ones used to conceal guns underneath a jacket? Or maybe a hybrid version of that, or just a shoulder strap?

I am calling on all designers, creative thinkers on this forum to come up with ideas and screenshot of prototypes we can pitch to BBRY.

This is one of these times where the CRACKBERRY community can come together, so let's do this!

BZ
    neoberry99 and II ARROWS like this.
    06-26-14 07:39 AM
    Good post!! Im also curious to see what designers come up with.
    bizzarothor likes this.
    06-26-14 07:51 AM
    I understand your concern and I'm as well curious as to what accessories will be available for the Passport...but think about it... phones are bound to drop and unfortunately break from time to time, we just have to be careful and hence the reason for insurance on phone plans... will just have to get another and get your hard earned money's worth. Depending on the field of work you're in, the Otter Box probably isn't necessary to have, hence the reason your co-workers tease you which is all in good fun lol (they do the same to me because it's a BB)
    I work in the Hospitality Business and although I would use my phone a lot due to it being a fast pace business, a simple leather pouch works fine for me for protection when not in use. If I worked in Construction, I can see where an Otter Box would be beneficial and co-workers would most likely ask where to get one instead of teasing.
    The only concept I can think of that would be cool would some type of "magnetic" belt clip that the phone would just stick to and would give some it a sleek and comfortable look without a bulge...other than that, I think just regular leather cases or just putting it in your jacket or pant's pocket will suffice.

#poweredbyblackberry Z30
    06-26-14 08:23 AM
    May be a leather case like this one, of the Kindle!?

redefining holsters for the Passport: cool ways of wearing this phone?-img_20140626_152658.png

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    bizzarothor likes this.
    06-26-14 08:27 AM
    I work in the Hospitality Business and although I would use my phone a lot due to it being a fast pace business, a simple leather pouch works fine for me for protection when not in use. If I worked in Construction, I can see where an Otter Box would be beneficial and co-workers would most likely ask where to get one instead of teasing.
    The only concept I can think of that would be cool would some type of "magnetic" belt clip that the phone would just stick to and would give some it a sleek and comfortable look without a bulge...other than that, I think just regular leather cases or just putting it in your jacket or pant's pocket will suffice.

#poweredbyblackberry Z30
    Good point, I was just thinking that maybe there is an opportunity to do something different. That may not be for medical professionals but what if there was a way to wear the phone on a belt clip, but as some sort of a belt buckle for which a dedicated Belt buckle app would allow you to display what you felt like when clipped on? This could go from regular standard belt buckles to whatever else the user would like to display. I know this is out there but this is just food for thought.
    06-26-14 02:17 PM
    May be a leather case like this one, of the Kindle!?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140626_152658.png 
Views:	1603 
Size:	266.3 KB 
ID:	280700

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    That's a nice case the big issue I would have is trying to Type on any BB phone with a stupid flap wrapped around it. I WISH they would make a see through window type of case where the user can touch the screen be productive, and not worry about the flap getting in the way. Kind of like those old Flip phone cases. The phone is secure but you can still touch the screen.
    This Kindle is AN excellent example just cut out a section in the front to make a window and there you have it. A perfect Smartphone Case. Same thing for Qwerty phones, but with two windows having access to the keyboard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using CB Forums mobile app
    06-26-14 09:14 PM
    A case like the type that Pro Golfers use for their yardage books would be better than a case that flips left and then behind.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 09:18 PM
    Historically, tools have been worn on the belt. Swords, guns, Hammer, screwdrivers, pencils and cutters...etc.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 10:35 PM
    I'm looking at my wife's pharmacist labcoat and it would definitely fit in one of those pockets (almost perfectly actually).

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 10:58 PM
    I've always used a Sedio protective cover and Hoster combo. I can't imagine owning a phone without one. The only thing stopping my purchase of the PP is the availability of a good holster.
    11-05-14 01:28 AM
    makes sense for a costly device that needs to be wrestled out of the pocket ...a cliphanger on it would be great so one can hook a finger into the clip and yank it loose while having it well in hand avoiding the sobs ...thoughts ?
    11-06-14 05:00 PM
    It already exists

Posted via CB10
    11-06-14 05:47 PM