Ok guys..as far as I know Android's Auto will run on QNX..since QNX is the foundation in most of the cars and Apple's car play essentially runs on top of it.

Can anybody tell me how this partnership works?
    Because I was thinking..if BlackBerry was allowing auto to run on qnx then surely they could strike a deal with Google for Google services right?
    Ofcourse its easier said than done but am I missing something here? Or are the two things totally different?

P.S - admin, I didn't know where to post this!

Posted via CB10
    06-25-14 05:11 PM
    I doubt there will have to be an agreement really. Google will not trade the services. It just doesnt work like that.

But yes It appears that android auto will run on top of QNX based systems similar to how apples system with work
    06-25-14 05:15 PM
    It's kinda of totally different yes. Just because the car scenario is now BB's domain, does not mean Google will jump in and want to play ball.
    06-25-14 05:36 PM
    Android Auto and Apple Car Play are really protocols that any OS can be written to support. They can run on any OS currently used in cars (QNX, Windows Embedded, Linux, BSD, etc.) and any future OS could include support for them. It's not a lot different than an OS supporting a webcam or a printer; you can use the same webcam or printer on Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc. The OS has to have certain "hooks" to talk to the various parts of the hardware and process the inputs and generate the outputs, but the hooks can be generic so that different apps can be plugged in.

These front-facing apps/UIs aren't going to affect what car manufacturers choose as the underlying OS, because they can all support the front-facing apps equally well. QNX isn't going to become more or less widely used because of Car Play or Android Auto, but rather based on the same criteria that manufacturers have used to select a car OS for the last 10 years. And in all cases, the manufacturers are still going to have to create a custom UI for that car OS for all the people NOT using their smartphone with the system, just as they do now.

So, Android Auto and Car Play are neither good nor bad for QNX. They are both bad for BB10 and Windows, however, because it is yet another reason for consumers to choose iOS or Android instead: robust, deep integration into the car's entertainment and navigation systems. It remains to be seen if BB and Microsoft can come up with a similar application and make deals with the auto companies to get them to install it. If that happens, it would help to level the playing field in this area.
    06-25-14 06:01 PM
    All it would take would be to have an actual Android smartphone hooked up to the BB10 device because that's what the QNX dash units to display the Android or CarPlay UI.
    06-25-14 06:32 PM
    All it would take would be to have an actual Android smartphone hooked up to the BB10 device because that's what the QNX dash units to display the Android or CarPlay UI.
    So first, it's important to remember that BB10 is not the operating system used in cars. QNX is at the foundation of several car infotainment systems. And QNX is at the heart of BB10.

But this does not mean that cars run BB10 or anything close to it.

BlackBerry could potentially implement the same protocols (not sure about licensing issues?), but what would be the point of that?
    06-25-14 06:49 PM
    I still don't understand how providing the touchscreen, microphone, and speakers for Apple CarPlay or Android Auto makes QNX the foundation for the system. The connectivity and the ecosystem of apps, media, maps, messaging, voice recognition, etc. will be provided by the smartphone.
    06-25-14 08:27 PM
    I still don't understand how providing the touchscreen, microphone, and speakers for Apple CarPlay or Android Auto makes QNX the foundation for the system. The connectivity and the ecosystem of apps, media, maps, messaging, voice recognition, etc. will be provided by the smartphone.
    QNX is the brain of the system that prevents your car's electronics from being affected by Android's malware.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-14 08:54 PM
    Obviously BlackBerry will be able to run on top of the QNX system so if you have a BlackBerry you should be able run your phone apps on your car, just the same way as Apple and Google will be able to.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-14 09:54 PM
    I was just thinking that you could just hop in your car and tap your phone on the dash board so your car would which operating system to use, but then I remembered that phones don't have NFC.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-14 10:35 PM
    Obviously BlackBerry will be able to run on top of the QNX system so if you have a BlackBerry you should be able run your phone apps on your car, just the same way as Apple and Google will be able to.

Posted via CB10
    Except all of the car sales people will say it won't work because blackberry's going bankrupt and no one uses them anymore.
    06-25-14 11:40 PM
    Android Auto and Apple Car Play are really protocols that any OS can be written to support. They can run on any OS currently used in cars (QNX, Windows Embedded, Linux, BSD, etc.) and any future OS could include support for them. It's not a lot different than an OS supporting a webcam or a printer; you can use the same webcam or printer on Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc. The OS has to have certain "hooks" to talk to the various parts of the hardware and process the inputs and generate the outputs, but the hooks can be generic so that different apps can be plugged in.

These front-facing apps/UIs aren't going to affect what car manufacturers choose as the underlying OS, because they can all support the front-facing apps equally well. QNX isn't going to become more or less widely used because of Car Play or Android Auto, but rather based on the same criteria that manufacturers have used to select a car OS for the last 10 years. And in all cases, the manufacturers are still going to have to create a custom UI for that car OS for all the people NOT using their smartphone with the system, just as they do now.

So, Android Auto and Car Play are neither good nor bad for QNX. They are both bad for BB10 and Windows, however, because it is yet another reason for consumers to choose iOS or Android instead: robust, deep integration into the car's entertainment and navigation systems. It remains to be seen if BB and Microsoft can come up with a similar application and make deals with the auto companies to get them to install it. If that happens, it would help to level the playing field in this area.
    Nice explanation.

It really makes me wonder when I thought of IoT. Will QNX as an underlying OS allow Android Auto or Car Play to send data back to their servers like current Android phone or Iphone? Or will QNX itself send data to BlackBerry servers under Project Ion? Or both?

As far as competing with GOOG and AAPL, I don't see BBRY in current position can do that. Except it can leverage QNX to the max possible autos out there.
    Though I wish QNX to leverage in other consumer devices also as an embedded software so that any IoT program has to negotiate with QNX.
    Deitzanova likes this.
    06-26-14 04:26 AM
    It's kinda of totally different yes. Just because the car scenario is now BB's domain, does not mean Google will jump in and want to play ball.
    It's not Blackberry's domain at all. People on Blackberry grossly exaggerate QNX's significance in the automobile market (or in IoT or everywhere). QNX is an unsophisticated, commodity product that can be easily be replaced. Blackberry has no negotiating power with a company they purchased for 200 million and receive marginal licensing costs.

Not even the statement that QNX does all the heavy lifting while Apple/Google gets all the credit is true. Which has more lines? QNX or Carplay/Android Auto? CarPlay/Android Auto is the sole provider of all the luxury features consumers care about. QNX provides all the little features drivers have been accustomed to for years.

Blackberry is not in the forefront of the IoT at all despite QNX. It is actually a laggard as corporations like Google invest untold millions and millions on R&D for products that it does not sell directly and that no one knows how it will make a profit off of. (That is unless Google starts charging for Android Auto.) Blackberry doesn't even have the funds to develop a tablet. Forget about wearables and the next generation of computing.
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 06-26-14 at 04:54 AM.
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-26-14 04:42 AM
    It's not Blackberry's domain at all. People on Blackberry grossly exaggerate QNX's significance in the automobile market (or in IoT or everywhere). QNX is an unsophisticated, commodity product that can be easily be replaced. Blackberry has no negotiating power with a company they purchased for 200 million and receive marginal licensing costs.

Not even the statement that QNX does all the heavy lifting while Apple/Google gets all the credit is true. Which has more lines? QNX or Carplay/Android Auto? CarPlay/Android Auto is the sole provider of all the luxury features consumers care about. QNX provides all the little features drivers have been accustomed to for years.

Blackberry is not in the forefront of the IoT at all despite QNX. It is actually a laggard as corporations like Google invest untold millions and millions on R&D for products that it does not sell directly and that no one knows how it will make a profit off of. (That is unless Google starts charging for Android Auto.) Blackberry doesn't even have the funds to develop a tablet. Forget about wearables and the next generation of computing.
    So what you're saying is BlackBerry can only take advantage of QNX if they rival Car play and Auto with its own bb10 in the cars?
    Also, why do you say the margin is less? That's what I am confused about..the leverage isn't that big a deal?

Posted via CB10
    howarmat likes this.
    06-26-14 05:39 AM
    BlackBerry is in the game of machine-to-anything-for everything.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 06:54 AM
    Will QNX as an underlying OS allow Android Auto or Car Play to send data back to their servers like current Android phone or Iphone? Or will QNX itself send data to BlackBerry servers under Project Ion? Or both?
    The smartphone is what is connected and running the apps so it will be doing whatever it usually does. I don't think anything about the system requires that QNX have any connectivity. Most people aren't going to be paying for a separate data plan for each dash unit if their smartphone is running Car Play or Android Auto.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    06-26-14 07:12 AM
    I was just thinking that you could just hop in your car and tap your phone on the dash board so your car would which operating system to use, but then I remembered that phones don't have NFC.

Posted via CB10
    My Nexus 5 does.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    06-26-14 07:30 AM
    QNX is just an underlying system. I don't know how much money the licencing of QNX would cost, but I don't think much. What is on top of that matters more. If BB really want a piece of the auto pie, they must build a BB10 interface for cars, just as Apple and Google are doing now.

But as usual, BB is lagging behind.

And no, BB cannot leverage QNX. If BB says "We won't let you build Android Auto, on top of QNX", then there are very high chances that Volvo/Audi/ <any other car manufacturer> will just drop QNX. As stated in another post, there are other platforms that can be used.
    06-26-14 08:11 AM
    QNX is just an underlying system. I don't know how much money the licencing of QNX would cost, but I don't think much. What is on top of that matters more. If BB really want a piece of the auto pie, they must build a BB10 interface for cars, just as Apple and Google are doing now.

But as usual, BB is lagging behind.

And no, BB cannot leverage QNX. If BB says "We won't let you build Android Auto, on top of QNX", then there are very high chances that Volvo/Audi/ <any other car manufacturer> will just drop QNX. As stated in another post, there are other platforms that can be used.
    None of us really know... at one time QNX code was free, so some OS that are built with QNX might be using the free code from a few years ago.

But even with the licensed OS that QNX provide for a fee - I think as long as it is stable and does what they want it to do, manufacturing will continue to use it. Now if for some reason BlackBerry feels it is worth much more than what they are getting in bulk licensing fees and they raise prices during the next round of negotiations.... yes there are other options in the embedded market to take QNX place.

And Android is going to do well, because it will be CHEAP. Google doesn't care about the OS, they care about the users and what they are worth. Whereas QNX/BlackBerry are going to want to make a profit on the UI alone. It will be a simple decision for manufactures to save $1, or $20 per car.... I mean when you are selling a $40K dollar car it make a difference
    06-26-14 08:33 AM
    It sounds like Blackberry needs to get on the ball if they are going to compete with CarPlay and Android Auto. It seems like those consumer platforms are ready to go with widespread adoption this year and next. Blackberry and Microsoft seem to be using Mirrorlink, however, the available ecosystem will depend on what has been developed for BB10 and Windows Phone.

While there may be some non-smartphone-based QNX systems it would mean a separate cellular data plan and some kind of data sync for the vehicle so I can't imagine most people would opt in if they could hook up their smartphone and have all of their content and contacts already there.
    06-26-14 09:50 AM