spinning through some blogs to catch up on Google I/O.

how many features did Google rip from BB 10? a few it seems...

split work and personal data on one device
    a battery meter to tell what's consuming resources
    bridging - with chrome books anyway (does anyone have one?)

and of course, news about Android auto

interesting stuff!
    06-25-14 04:32 PM

interesting stuff!
    actually most of those are not "new" nor stolen from BB10

google has had the battery meter for quite some time actually so its not new and the bridging is just being added to. They have had alot of the sync stuff for quite some time as well.

The auto stuff goes beyond anything BB actually has out there. There are tons of advanced QNX stuff but how much of that is reality and in cars?

They have split work and personal data, this is similar to BB Balance but its its not entirely new as Windows Phone I know also has a "split" groups system as well for consumers. And Balance is not available for the consumer, its a BES feature.
    06-25-14 04:50 PM

This isn't new. Google is expanding on what they already had.
    app_Developer likes this.
    06-25-14 04:54 PM

interesting stuff!
    Why is it every time a new competing OS comes out that Blackberry fans immediately accuse the other OS of stealing from Blackberry?

For all the talk about Apple fans thoughtlessly claiming that Apple invented some pedestrian feature first, it actually happens a lot more on this website.
    06-25-14 04:56 PM
    Thank you for clearing up another misconception guys . This gets old.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    06-25-14 04:57 PM
    And BlackBerry has ripped off using Android apps, so I'd say they are even. If they had truly been damaged by Google for Intellectual Property theft they would have sued them like they did Typo. Hasn't happened so just relax.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    06-25-14 05:02 PM
    Why is it every time a new competing OS comes out that Blackberry fans immediately accuse the other OS of stealing from Blackberry?

For all the talk about Apple fans thoughtlessly claiming that Apple invented some pedestrian feature first, it actually happens a lot more on this website.
    Some people just live in the BlackBerry bubble and have no clue about any of the other mobile operating systems. When they see the same features that others have had first or for years, they automatically assume BB must have had it first because they don't know any better.

People on this forum still think BB10 was the first with a card view style multitasking.
    06-25-14 05:04 PM
    Party poopers!

I still find it interesting that these features are I/O worthy if they're so common and old news.

$1 - $0.98

BRON: a cron-like scheduler for BlackBerry 10. http://apps.oddelement.com
    06-25-14 07:37 PM
    Party poopers!

I still find it interesting that these features are I/O worthy if they're so common and old news.

$1 - $0.98

BRON: a cron-like scheduler for BlackBerry 10. http://apps.oddelement.com
    That's the actual story. It's boring and old.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-14 07:42 PM
    That's the actual story. It's boring and old.

Posted via CB10
    But somehow also what people want. Strange.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    06-25-14 07:51 PM
    how many features did Google rip from BB 10?-settings.jpg

Android 1.6 Donut. Stolen from BB10
    06-25-14 07:57 PM
    Google integrates cool ideas into android. Android by itself was acquired by google some years ago. The personal/enterprise split existed on android for long time at least through BES.
    The Art seems interesting and looks like it is their solution entirely.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-14 08:03 PM
    But somehow also what people want. Strange.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    Yes they do. I don't think it's strange. It's free for the vendors who adopted it. I'm simply pointing out that the new news turned out to be old news. It's OK. There is a lot of copying happening and more ecosystem wall building than actual innovation at this point. It's inevitable with only two players competing.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-14 10:16 PM
    Google integrates cool ideas into android. Android by itself was acquired by google some years ago. The personal/enterprise split existed on android for long time at least through Knox .
    The Art seems interesting and looks like it is their solution entirely.

Posted via CB10
    Corrected.

Knox is what Google is using. And Lol at the people that laughed at it it's going to be what enabled Android to further displace BB in the enterprise.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk.
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-25-14 10:35 PM
    Corrected.

Knox is what Google is using.
    I was actually referring to existing MDM solutions not the ones they are going to integrate.
    Yes, BES+balance existed for long time and could be claimed to be copied by Knox and the upcoming android.
    I mean it's not something that people never experienced before and they say it was 'ripped from'.
    06-25-14 10:49 PM
    I was actually referring to existing MDM solutions not the ones they are going to integrate.
    Yes, BES+balance existed for long time and could be claimed to be copied by Knox and the upcoming android.
    I mean it's not something that people never experienced before and they say it was 'ripped from'.
    If Balance beat Knox to market, it wasn't by much. They were released quite close to each other. It was not out a "long time" before Knox showed up, and Knox didn't show up after only a few months of development.

Also Knox is way more than the personal/work data separation. Their are power users that now refuse to buy Samsung because of the security Knox adds to their phones, as well as the tamper protection.

Knox 2.0 was quite well reviewed when it came out. The only bad thing about it was it being limited to one vendor. This is going to hurt BlackBerry in the enterprise space.

06-25-14 11:04 PM
    The issue is that Apple and Google get immense credit for "advancing" the state of mobile UI for incremental improvements that were based on other's work. On the other hand, BlackBerry seemingly receives little or no acknowledgment for what are arguably equal or far better advancements (even if based on other's work as well.)

The lack of recognition and constant press articles to the effect of "It's the first time these features have been implemented or done well by anyone" when BlackBerry has clearly been an influential force is tiring for an underdog who has no marketing to speak of and no one to speak up for their efforts on their behalf. It's refreshing when I encounter the rare person with another phone who remarks "Did you see what they copied from BlackBerry 10?".

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by drkpitt; 06-26-14 at 02:20 AM.
    06-25-14 11:20 PM
    If Balance beat Knox to market, it wasn't by much. They were released quite close to each other. It was not out a "long time" before Knox showed up, and Knox didn't show up after only a few months of development.

Also Knox is way more than the personal/work data separation. Their are power users that now refuse to buy Samsung because of the security Knox adds to their phones, as well as the tamper protection.

Knox 2.0 was quite well reviewed when it came out. The only bad thing about it was it being limited to one vendor. This is going to hurt BlackBerry in the enterprise space.

I don't think it will. But time will tell.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-14 11:25 PM
    The issue is that Apple and Google get immense credit for "advancing" the state of mobile UI for incremental improvements that were based on other's work. On the other hand, BlackBerry seemingly receives little or no acknowledgment for what are arguably equal or far better advancements (even if based on other's work as well.)
    This is just patently untrue. I don't think anyone outside Crackberry actually believes Blackberry played much role in advancing the state of mobile computing. Blackberry infrequently innovates any OS features. Not only that, it is usually the last OS to implement new features... partly because BB10 is years late to the market when innovation had already gone stale. The only actually innovative feature I've seen on BB10 is the keyboard, which is built on top of Swiftkey and not everyone finds the best.

Even Windows Phone is more innovative than BB10 and influences other operating systems to a significantly greater degree. I actually find it ironic because Apple and Google frequently borrow Microsoft features that are not necessarily well received. Microsoft makes sure to add its gimmicks. On the flip side of the coin, Windows Phone is always missing a gazillion features present everywhere including BB10. I do think Microsoft finally addressed most major features in Windows Phone 8.1, though.

I think Avt123 has a good point about the Blackberry bubble. If you opened your heart to other OSes, you would understand why Blackberry is where it is today and why consumers have not flocked to BB10 despite the features fans claim it has done better. Blackberry has a significant innovation problem. I would characterize the modern mobile OSes as most heavily defined by

iOS >>> WebOS > Maemo/Meego >> Android >>>>> Windows Phone >>>>> BB10.

I
    mikeo007 likes this.
    06-26-14 05:26 AM
    This is just patently untrue. I don't think anyone outside Crackberry actually believes Blackberry played much role in advancing the state of mobile computing. Blackberry infrequently innovates any OS features. Not only that, it is usually the last OS to implement new features... partly because BB10 is years late to the market when innovation had already gone stale. The only actually innovative feature I've seen on BB10 is the keyboard, which is built on top of Swiftkey and not everyone finds the best.

Even Windows Phone is more innovative than BB10 and influences other operating systems to a significantly greater degree. I actually find it ironic because Apple and Google frequently borrow Microsoft features that are not necessarily well received. Microsoft makes sure to add its gimmicks. On the flip side of the coin, Windows Phone is always missing a gazillion features present everywhere including BB10. I do think Microsoft finally addressed most major features in Windows Phone 8.1, though.

I think Avt123 has a good point about the Blackberry bubble. If you opened your heart to other OSes, you would understand why Blackberry is where it is today and why consumers have not flocked to BB10 despite the features fans claim it has done better. Blackberry has a significant innovation problem. I would characterize the modern mobile OSes as most heavily defined by

iOS >>> WebOS > Maemo/Meego >> Android >>>>> Windows Phone >>>>> BB10.

I
    I think the statement that BlackBerry has done very little to advance mobile computing is as interesting as saying Apple has been the most innovative. And by interesting I mean false.

Posted via CB10
    oddboy likes this.
    06-26-14 10:40 AM