Well here is a strange problem. I had my motorola whisper out at the "ear mold" shop (Westone) and just got it back. (I have a thread on how to have a custom ear mold made to hold your BT headset which can be found on Crackberry under accessories. ) The audio playback works just fine. The microphone doesn't work.

I have an old Android phone handy and paired the Moto Whisper then used the Google voice search. The microphone and speaker work on that phone.

It is like the codec for HD voice no longer works. That is the only difference between the phones.

I did a reset on the Z10 and it makes no difference.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-14 03:34 PM
    Did it work before? Did you try another headset? Give BB virtual expert a try.

UNpair and re-pair the two devices.
    06-25-14 06:37 PM
    Did it work before? Did you try another headset? Give BB virtual expert a try.

UNpair and re-pair the two devices.
    Yes it worked before.
    Yes I tried BBVE. Also the voice recorder. No audio is recorded.
    I also unpaired and re-paired.
    Also a battery pull. ;-)

I don't have another headset handy, but the point is I need this headset to work again. I suppose I could test with another headset, but I don't know anyone else with a HD headset, which is the key.

It had to be a weird software error. I think I will have to reload the OS. I may just get that new 10.2. If I am going through the pain of a wipe and reload, I might as well accomplish something.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-14 07:49 PM
    Good luck with it.
    06-26-14 12:41 AM
    My recollection is a wipe and reload involves reentering every password for all the email accounts. :-(

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 01:30 AM
    I got this brilliant idea to see if there is a secret reset hack on the Moto Whisper, that is try holding buttons down a long time, combinations of buttons etc.

The device has volume up, volume down, call the voice assistant ( a kind of whole body switch where you squeeze it), and on/off. Squeezing the body switch and powering on at the same time triggered something. When I tried to pair with the phone, the z10 asked if I trust the Moto Whisper. I said yes, and now the microphone works. :-)

I never had the z10 ask about trust before.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    06-26-14 01:44 AM
    Yes it worked before.
    Yes I tried BBVE. Also the voice recorder. No audio is recorded.
    I also unpaired and re-paired.
    Also a battery pull. ;-)

I don't have another headset handy, but the point is I need this headset to work again. I suppose I could test with another headset, but I don't know anyone else with a HD headset, which is the key.

It had to be a weird software error. I think I will have to reload the OS. I may just get that new 10.2. If I am going through the pain of a wipe and reload, I might as well accomplish something.

Posted via CB10
    Battery pull? Hope you turned off the phone first. And waited until it was all the way off, past the white "BlackBerry" wording across the center of the screen. Otherwise you may corrupt the os and cause strange issues. Best not to EVER pull the battery on a BlackBerry 10 device. Only exception being a complete freeze, including turning off screen and back on a couple times.
    Just saying...

Crackberry Genius on Verizon STL100-4 10.3.0.296/442
    06-26-14 01:47 AM
    I got this brilliant idea to see if there is a secret reset hack on the Moto Whisper, that is try holding buttons down a long time, combinations of buttons etc.

The device has volume up, volume down, call the voice assistant ( a kind of whole body switch where you squeeze it), and on/off. Squeezing the body switch and powering on at the same time triggered something. When I tried to pair with the phone, the z10 asked if I trust the Moto Whisper. I said yes, and now the microphone works. :-)

I never had the z10 ask about trust before.

Posted via CB10
    Ah, maybe it feels that allowing the MIC would allow someone to listen to your every day life. So it disables it unless you specifically allow the mic to work??????????? Glad your custom fit now works as it should.
    06-26-14 09:01 AM
    Glad it is synced again.
    Bluetooth headsets can be every subjective. I had a Plantronics 975 years ago coupled with a Touch Pro 2 running old Windows Mobile. The 975 supposedly had no A2DP . I installed a custom ROM ( those were the days) and A2DP was up and functioning.
    06-26-14 09:54 AM
    Battery pull? Hope you turned off the phone first. And waited until it was all the way off, past the white "BlackBerry" wording across the center of the screen. Otherwise you may corrupt the os and cause strange issues. Best not to EVER pull the battery on a BlackBerry 10 device. Only exception being a complete freeze, including turning off screen and back on a couple times.
    Just saying...

Crackberry Genius on Verizon STL100-4 10.3.0.296/442
    If you talk to the techs at BlackBerry, they say you can yank the battery any old time. However I shutdown the phone first. Why tempt fate?

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 10:46 AM
    Just a FYI, the microphone has gone on strike again on the z10. Still works on the old Android G2.

I did a full backup and then loaded the operating system on the phone via bblink. That took forever.

One thing I investigated was is an app interfering with the bluetooth device. So before I put on any apps, I tested the BT headset on the "raw" OS. Same problem.

I did the full restore, having to enter every email password again. Yes, I understand BlackBerry does this for my own good. And I also make too big a deal about it. I suspect if I used a password keeper on the phone, the backup would have all the passwords.

On the schedule is to phone BlackBerry on Monday. I figure I can get some 2nd level tech support out of Canada since the US staff might be a little thin.

Besides using the BBVE and voice notes to test the interface, I loaded Parrot. What is interesting is the graph feature on Parrot, that is where it shows the amplitude versus time of the audio signal, acts odd when I use the BT headset. It scrolls in a jerky manner, as if there is some software issue. It works fine on the built in microphone.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-14 07:45 PM
    The saga continues. The LED on my Motorola Whisper stopped working. Kind of annoying since I don't know when the charge cycle is done. Otherwise it worked in the same fashion, that is it would send audio to the earpiece but no microphone function with the Z10.

Motorola was nice enough to replace it, even though I couldn't find the receipt.

The HD voice function works on the new headset with the Z10. Go figure.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-14 01:11 AM
    The saga continues. The LED on my Motorola Whisper stopped working. Kind of annoying since I don't know when the charge cycle is done. Otherwise it worked in the same fashion, that is it would send audio to the earpiece but no microphone function with the Z10.

Motorola was nice enough to replace it, even though I couldn't find the receipt.

The HD voice function works on the new headset with the Z10. Go figure.

Posted via CB10
    Maybe the old one was always defective with intermittent failure??? I mean, the amount of circuitry they fit in these tiny ear things.....
    08-21-14 08:24 AM
    What I haven't figured out is why it worked on the Android phone, except that phone wasn't HD. Maybe the codec is changed on the fly, that is it picked the non-HD software for the Android phone.

And seriously...a burnt out LED?

I'm wondering if the USPS or FedEx x-rays their packages.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-14 06:50 PM
    Well now I can't get the microphone to work on the BlackBerry. I will have to see where I buried the old Android phone to see if it works there.

Yeah, I did a factory reset on the BT headset. I also booted the z10. I deleted the BT profile then re-establishes it. I did everything but jiggle the handle. ;-)

Monday is a US holiday. Maybe tech support will connect me to some Canadians at BlackBerry HQ.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-14 03:48 AM
    The twilight zone continues. Costco has the Whisper for $59. I figured WTF so I got one and it works fine with the Z10. For yucks, I tried my older Motorola whisper and it works fine now too. I have no explanation for this. My gut feeling is it is a BlackBerry problem, but not an easy one to solve. And if you look on the Amazon reviews, one Whisper customer had the microphone stop working in a week.

I'm going to use the Whisper with the custom ear mold out of the house and the new Whisper for in the house.

Incidentally the Costco version drops the fancy packaging and tosses in a car charger. My first Whisper was $109 IIRC, so $59 is a good deal.

When it works, it is magic. Emphasis on the word "when."

Posted via CB10
    12-19-14 10:05 PM
    Interesting thread, what OS are you running?

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 08:19 AM
    At the moment, 10.3.1.1016. But the problem has been around for older OS.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 11:47 AM
    Give a Plantronics Voyager Legend a whirl. It's the BEST BT headset I've ever used. I would prefer if it was smaller but the capabilities far outweigh the size.

" I do not think that word means what you think it means. "
    12-20-14 06:28 PM
    You would want the Legend HD,, but the Legend series has wind noise issues. They sell aftermarket devices to reduce the noise on the Legend, but the Whisper doesn't have a wind noise issue in the microphone.

http://www.amazon.com/WindCutter-mic...UvbUpU11181658

I suspect you haven't read the whole thread. I paid $100 to have a custom ear mold made for the Whisper. It fits only the Whisper. In any event, the Whisper is working now.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 08:41 PM
    You would want the Legend HD,, but the Legend series has wind noise issues. They sell aftermarket devices to reduce the noise on the Legend, but the Whisper doesn't have a wind noise issue in the microphone.

http://www.amazon.com/WindCutter-mic...UvbUpU11181928

I suspect you haven't read the whole thread. I paid $100 to have a custom ear mold made for the Whisper. It fits only the Whisper. In any event, the Whisper is working now.

Posted via CB10
    I have read the entire thread. Distilled, your now bespoke BT headset works when it feels like it. And no, the Voyager Legend is preferred for me. I routinely stand next to equipment where I can't hear myself speak and the person on th either end has no idea.

" I do not think that word means what you think it means. "
    12-20-14 10:45 PM
    http://rothmanshore.com/2014/06/23/s...rmware-update/

Plantronics released a firmware update to get rid of their horrible wind noise.

My problem with the Whisper is in the BB10 BT stack. When it wasn't working with the Z10, it was working with an Android phone I had.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 04:06 AM