Hi guys! I read all those articles and threads talking about the new revolutionary keyboard of the new blackberry passport and I have to admit I'm very excited to finally see what it really is and if it's gonna be efficient because that's the most important thing - blackberry is not a toy to amaze masses right. But I still can't get one thing. No matter what innovation you bring to the current BB keyboard, having symbols and numbers printed on the keys and using them in combination with dedicated symbol key will be always the fastest way to type. And then I looked at the passport keyboard and I asked myself why? why? why would they take away those special keys? Just look how big are the keys on the new passport device. If blackberry kept the standard size of the keys they could fit shift, alt and symbol keys in three rows as it is now. And keep numbers and symbols on the keys. Don't take me wrong, it is all great that the keyboard is touch sensitive, it can bring so many new possibilities and if there are any more features of the keyboard still hidden from us I'm sure they will be great but I think they should have kept the current way of typing as it is and it always will be the fastest and surest way how to write on the physical keyboard. What do you think guys?
    06-24-14 03:17 PM
    The keys are even larger... so there is plenty of space for symbols...
    06-24-14 03:29 PM
    I adjusted the thread title a bit for you so people know what you meant.

There are some related threads, but it's a good discussion topic.
    06-24-14 03:33 PM
    There will be num/symbol keys. They'll be virtual, along the bottom of the screen while typing.

If you NEED physical keys for this, get a Classic.
    DYLANHABKIRK and aminrajabi like this.
    06-24-14 04:53 PM
    If you NEED physical keys for this, get a Classic.
    No, that's wrong.
    This is a wrong sentence, on every point of view.
    06-24-14 05:01 PM
    Yeah i agree -- if Blackberry kept the usual 4-row keyboard on the Passport, this phone would be a no brainer to get -- but the keyboard worries me...
    06-24-14 05:24 PM
    We'll have to wait and see the final product, but I'm inclined to admit that they should keep the keyboard traditional if they really want the maximum speed for typing.

Posted via CB10
    06-24-14 05:32 PM
    No, that's wrong.
    This is a wrong sentence, on every point of view.
    It's going to depend on how much you actually use those keys, I get that. But you understand that those few mm in extra length make the device harder to manage, right?

Not all users need those keys to be constantly available. I like the idea of saving the space.

And what's so bad about the Classic?

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7
    06-24-14 05:52 PM
    It's a little too soon to condemn it, don't you think? At least wait to SEE how it works and maybe trying it yourself before deciding if they made a mistake. BBRY has a history of making things work efficiently so I doubt they made this huge change just to be different.
    DYLANHABKIRK and eddy_berry like this.
    06-24-14 06:11 PM
    It's going to depend on how much you actually use those keys, I get that. But you understand that those few mm in extra length make the device harder to manage, right?
    What "mm"? Having the symbols printed on the keys doesn't add nor saves space...
    06-25-14 09:03 AM
    what if they had both the letters and the symbols as well but somehow had the keys split so they could light each side a different color. The letters would be on the left side of the key and they would be white and with a down swipe the right side of the key would light up orange or blue with the symbol?
    06-25-14 09:13 AM
    What "mm"? Having the symbols printed on the keys doesn't add nor saves space...
    Millimeters.

Cave, cave, moderator videt
    06-25-14 09:14 AM
    I know what "mm" means... I said that won't change anything...
    06-25-14 09:15 AM
    I thought the keyboard was some new technology where the physical keys would change to symbols (somehow). I didn't know it was going to be a mix of physical and virtual keyboards.

I don't get this phone at all. A live demo would be nice. Something more than Chen holding it. Maybe the phone isn't even working yet and he was just holding a prop like a star trek Tricorder.

Z30 / STA100-5 / 10.2.1.3175 / T-Mobile USA
    06-25-14 09:21 AM
    I think the art of reading and comprehending has now totally disappeared from this forum (and from most others on the internet, to be fair).

The OP suggested to print additional symbols ON ON THE EXISTING (ie planned) KEYS OF THE PASSPORT (which makes sense imho - as long as the new system allows for certain characters or punctuation marks to be be selected by tapping or holding a particular key).

Now he constantly gets educated on AN ADDITONAL ROW OF KEYS wasting more screen space etc. And even after him explaining again what he proposed, the (mis)education continues. He actually never talked about adding a row of keys.

Sigh.
    06-25-14 09:38 AM
    BlackBerry needed to change the keyboard up and make the device different than the Classic and every other physical keyboard device.

Don't get mad because they're changing
    06-25-14 09:44 AM
    I think that maybe you swipe down on the keyboard and the virtual symbols show up on the screen, BUT you still select a symbol using the physical keyboard. There will be a symbol that corresponds to each physical letter.

If you have a Q10, just imagine if there were no symbols on the keys. You'd still pull up the virtual symbols map, and you'd still use the physical keys for symbol selection.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-14 09:54 AM
    Absolutely agree that this is potentially a worrysome keyboard... I hope that in the pursuit of "something new and imnovative", they don't kill the physical typing speed....
    In the days of 9900, symbols and caps were super fast, I'm not sure if innovation can beat the sheer instinct of physical caps and symbol keys...
    In this regard, the Classic might potentially be quicker a typer than the Passport.
    Both are killer devices, you go BlackBerry!!

from an australian Z10...
    06-25-14 09:59 AM
    BlackBerry needed to change the keyboard up and make the device different than the Classic and every other physical keyboard device.

Don't get mad because they're changing
    The OP is first of all not"getting mad because they're changing". They have merely suggested that the existing system seems to be the most efficient typing method and it wouldn't have hurt if BlackBerry still had symbols on the keys of the passport, which I agree with. They haven't knocked anything BlackBerry is doing but instead given their opinion and asked other their opinions.
    06-25-14 10:11 AM
    We should all withhold judgment until we have seen an actual demonstration, or if possible, experienced typing on the new keyboard ourselves. I am hoping that we will all be surprised at the efficiency that this innovative keyboard will bring.
    06-25-14 10:22 AM
    Guys this product is going to get shipped from October, so the train has left the station over a year ago. It's done. There's no way they go back to the drawing boards and Frankenstein implant an additional button to this thing.
    aminrajabi likes this.
    06-25-14 10:31 AM
    It also concerns me that the keys don't line up properly. I expect my C key to be under the F, not under the D, and so on. All the keys on the bottom row are shifted over to the outside.

Hopefully this will make sense when we see it, but at first sight this and the lack of shift keys is a little concerning.
    06-25-14 10:40 AM
    The mistake here is trying to compare the Passport keyboard to traditional BlackBerry keyboards, when it's really a whole new input method.

Like all other input methods, it will fit the needs of some users better than others.

eddy_berry and evodevo69 like this.
    06-25-14 10:48 AM
    The mistake here is trying to compare the Passport keyboard to traditional BlackBerry keyboards, when it's really a whole new input method.

Like all other input methods, it will fit the needs of some users better than others.

Well put

Posted via CB10
    06-25-14 12:02 PM
    Look back at every post. How many numbers and symbols do you see?
    Not a lot, mainly letters. I am sure the typing experience will be fine.

This too concerns me, but I am all for trying the new keyboard! We will get used to it.

Z30 user and lover.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    06-25-14 03:22 PM
30 12